Kate Middleton should have had a job.

(165 Posts)
MoralDefective Wed 17-Nov-10 16:27:08

AIBU to be bemused and a bit dissapointed that after years of expensive education that Kate Middleton has never had a proper job.
What a shame that an apparently intelligent young woman has spent the last (7?) years since university seemingly waiting to get married.
It makes me wonder why she went to university in the first place.
Such a waste of opportunities and good fortune.

AitchTwoOh Wed 17-Nov-10 16:28:27

hasn't she been working in the family business? should sir richard branson's dd have a job outwith her dad's company? or ivanka trump?

sarah293 Wed 17-Nov-10 16:30:23

Message withdrawn

MoralDefective Wed 17-Nov-10 16:30:54

I agree totally,just think it's a shame.
Wasted opportunities.

What is 'better' having a private education and wasteing it or a state education and wasteing it? She's just lucky she can have the choice... and it's not like she's been claming benefits while she waited is it?

I think she worked for Monsoon or Jigsaw at some point post-graduation? Some sort of head office role?

thelibster Wed 17-Nov-10 16:34:13

I agree with your sentiment ATO, but so many people do not see "working in the family business" as a "proper job" I am currently urgently job hunting but because I spent the last six years working for my ex H I have no up to date experience or references that are "acceptable" sad

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Wed 17-Nov-10 16:34:13

Everything about this whole thing is so 14th century.

She has been cloistered in with her family for the last however many years doing not much of anything and waiting for him to pop the question (having asked her dad's permission). I find it depressing.

Katey1010 Wed 17-Nov-10 16:37:03

She sort of will be on benefits. Money derived from taxes when she is not working. That is being a Royal, isnt it...

She worked for Jigsaw in a senior role and in recent years has been working in the family business. I don't see the problem, tbh.

gapbear Wed 17-Nov-10 16:37:46

She has been working for the family business.

It would be very difficult for her to get a job in many areas that aren't 'fluffy' jobs, because there would be absolute outrage if she worked for, say, Goldman Sachs. It would be seen as the Royal Family favouring a particular company.

c0rns1lk Wed 17-Nov-10 16:38:06

Diana worked pre- marraige didn't she?

c0rns1lk Wed 17-Nov-10 16:38:58

marriage

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 17-Nov-10 16:39:01

I'm glad she's got an art history degree though. Given the amazingness and hugeness of the royal art collections a sound knowledge of art history should be a qualification for the role of Queen IMO.

Fayrazzled Wed 17-Nov-10 16:41:29

I think YABU. Firstly, I believe an education is something worthwhile in and of itself and not simply as a means to any end, and secondly, you have no idea how KM has been filling her time since she graduated. We've been told she has worked in the family firm- why the assumption that this means she has been doing nothing? (And she did work as an accessories buyer for Jigsaw for a time until the paparazzi made her life unbearable).

I have two good degrees from cambridge, worked for a time in a professional job and am now a SAHM. Was my education wasted? I don't think so.

I'm pleased for Prince William and Kate but seeing the media frenzy their engagement has caused and the subsequent criticism of Kate from all sides, I'm only surprised they haven't decided to wait longer. The public scrutiny will be truly unbearable.

Hulababy Wed 17-Nov-10 16:41:47

I thought she had had jobs, just not a career as such yet.

Apparently....

She set up a online clothing company but it failed to take off.

She then was working PT as an accessories buyer at Jigsaw until last year or so.

Then left that to concentrate on a photography career. Apparently has an exhibition for a chairity soon.

Now she works 5 days a week for her parent's party supply company and is resposnible for compiling and editing catalogues.

MoralDefective Wed 17-Nov-10 16:45:05

I don't think she was in a senior role at Jigsaw.
Todays Guardian says she
'spent less than a year working part time as a junior accessories buyer at Jigsaw(owned by friends of the family) and put together an exhibition of her photographs,which she then decided not to show.
She has also worked occasionally for her parents' party planning firm.

EdgarAirbombPoe Wed 17-Nov-10 16:46:38

why? the media attention surrounding her would surely make a normal career hard?

and i hyave only really had 'jobs' rather than a career. it just means i'm not particularly career driven - maybe she isn't?

ccpccp Wed 17-Nov-10 16:46:47

So the answer to your 'she doesnt have a proper job' statement, OP, is 'she does'.

Now get back down into the gutter and never question your betters again.

LaraJade Wed 17-Nov-10 16:46:56

She could have carried out voluntary work at least! Eg making teas in a day centre, helping out at an animal sanctuary. She still could do voluntary work in fact - but i dont mean hosting 'fundraising events'.

diddl Germany Wed 17-Nov-10 16:47:19

I can´t help thinking she hasn´t committed herself so that she would be available to see William as & when tbh.

MoralDefective Wed 17-Nov-10 16:47:54

Backs orf whilst bowing and scraping.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Nov-10 16:51:10

Richard Branson's DD is actually a Doctor by the way.

Poshmina Wed 17-Nov-10 16:53:08

I agree with the poster upthread that an education is worth having regardless of whether or not you use it to build a career on. A good education enhances a person and is not wasted simply because someone does not end up in paid employment, what a depressing utilitarian way of looking at life!

MoralDefective Wed 17-Nov-10 16:53:35

diddl...I can´t help thinking she hasn´t committed herself so that she would be available to see William as & when tbh.
It does look like it doesn't it?

diddl Germany Wed 17-Nov-10 16:55:24

Well, the way things have turned out, I should think her parents would have happily paid much more for her educationgrin

lilyliz Wed 17-Nov-10 16:58:21

checkout at ASDA would have been good,shown her real life and for good measure night shift when the drunks and junkies come in.

RitaLynn Wed 17-Nov-10 17:00:12

Without wishing to sound too much like an old marxist, if she had got a job, it would have only been a sop to pretend to be like one of us.

minibmw2010 Wed 17-Nov-10 17:01:59

The thing is, we don't have a clue about what she has or hasn't done with her time for the last 8 years .. and what business is it of ours anyway ?? If anyone was judging us this way we'd probably go mental and be quite upset ???? Just because the papers say one thing, it doesn't make it the absolute truth ..

AitchTwoOh Wed 17-Nov-10 17:04:42

richard branson's dd works for him and is expected to take over the company. what a DISGRACE that she isn't using her medical degree etcetera. <fumes pointlessly>

kenobi Wed 17-Nov-10 17:05:13

YABU
Controversial but...
I don't think she should have had a job because her family could clearly support her without working, so she wasn't taking jobs away from people who needed them more!

If she wants to waste her spenny education, who cares?
Although it wasn't wasted in my book, she and her parents got what they wanted out of it - she's about to be the future king's consort, doesn't get much more successful than that in pure monetary terms... working all this time would have been utterly, utterly pointless.

God I would HATE to be her though. Can you imagine never being able to walk down the street alone again, or being allowed to get messy drunk or getting away with it if say something stupid?

stillbobbysgirl Wed 17-Nov-10 17:06:54

well none of her new in-laws have what you would actually call a proper job do they?!

kenobi Wed 17-Nov-10 17:07:49

Also, just to add to what Poshmina said about an education being worth it in and of itself, in ye olden times only the very wealthy went to uni and they never bothered to get jobs. So she's only following in a fine old tradition...

huddspur Wed 17-Nov-10 17:11:56

YABVU-what she does with her life is her business

piscesmoon Wed 17-Nov-10 17:17:08

Education is very narrow if it just leads to a job.

nancydrewrocked Wed 17-Nov-10 17:17:32

Education is valuable in itself, rather than as a means to an end, so I can't see her time at school/university as wasted even if she decides to sit on her arse and twiddle her fingers all day.

She has been in a serious relationship with someone who works away from home for long periods in a fairly irregular pattern with significant other commitments. If she had a "proper" career then I can't imagine she'd ever see him. I don't really see an issue in her not working TBH.

sarah293 Wed 17-Nov-10 17:18:55

Message withdrawn

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 17-Nov-10 17:19:57

Yes. And statues. And one of the modules will probably be about pickled sharks and shit too.

RitaLynn Wed 17-Nov-10 17:21:57

I wonder how things would be if the gender situation were reversed.

Imagine Price Charles, with two daughters, and the eldest had got engaged to a man who didn't work and just appeared to be waiting around for the princess.

It's of course up to her, but it doesn't present a very good role model for women (IMO). It could be a long time before she's queen, and they don't have children (yet)

donkeyderby Wed 17-Nov-10 17:22:29

History of Art....it does what it says on the packet. Quite a useful degree if you want to work in museums etc.

SpringHeeledJack Wed 17-Nov-10 17:26:08

ain't it so that H of A has always been seen as a sort of debby timewasting degree?

<runs away quick>

KittyFoyle Wed 17-Nov-10 17:27:26

It's about paintings/sculpture/visual arts generally and the historical context so encompasses politics, social history, religious, cultural etc.

I have no idea what she does with her time. What's it to me? Tapping away on MN is hardly a noble use of time. Casting stones and all that ladies...

anonandlikeit Wed 17-Nov-10 17:28:21

Poor thing, she has worked, she worked for Jigsaw & has been workign in the family business since.
Her education isn't wasted, her parents funded it, she is now working for the, a good business investment on their part.
A large number of kids at public school go into the family business, whatever that may be.

MoralDefective Wed 17-Nov-10 17:29:10

Had to go out.
Good point Rita...i imagine there would have been uproar.
Bum
Wastrel
User
Parasite etc

Yes of course it's up to her but what you said about being a role model for women is right.
While i'm sure everyone will say she maybe doesn't want to be a role model for ANYONE,now she's going to be Queen one day it's hard to see how she won't be held up as a role model.

KittyFoyle Wed 17-Nov-10 17:29:54

H of A is more of an Annabel timewasting degree. I think education is valuable if you make it so - I've seen plenty of medics wasting enormous amounts of time during their degrees too. But it does have a reputation of being one for rich air heads whose Daddies can send them to Venice for the summer. As usual, in some cases deserved, in others not fair at all.

KittyFoyle Wed 17-Nov-10 17:34:06

Anonandlikeit - My Dad was booted out of state school at 15 and he went into the family business. It's not all posh private school kids that do that. My local garage has a father and son mechanic team. Does anyone actually KNOW what she was doing? I imagine she's been living her life, not poncing around being a 'role model'. It's not the X Factor. Anyway wouldn't you rather your daughters were interested in people famous for more than the family of their fiance?

BatsInTheSnowglobe Wed 17-Nov-10 17:36:32

"It makes me wonder why she went to university in the first place" - to find a rich husband... oh job done. Going to university has proved invaluable for KM. I'm sure her parents would agree her education was money well spent!
Education is never a waste whether used or not. I got engaged straight out of uni and family friends asked my parents if they were disappointed i was wasting my education by just getting married. My mum had a fit and snapped at them saying education is never wasted!
Who cares whether KM has been working or not, lets face it if we had parents willing to look after us while we sat waiting for the future king of England to propose, we probably wouldn't work either. The news man yesterday said KM hadn't been working full time so she was able to be flexible and see Wills whenever she was beckoned.

Want2bSupermum Wed 17-Nov-10 17:37:22

When she worked at Jigsaw she was followed around by the press and it was agreed that she would stop working there.

She was damned if worked and is now damned because she worked for the family business and not at a public company. I think it is wonderful that the girl has been properly educated and comes from what looks to be a lovely family. She has done charity work but often has to pull out at the last minute due to publicity. She has been very smart to limit her public profile.

BonniePrinceBilly Wed 17-Nov-10 17:39:13

Can all those bitching that she's never had a job please respond to the response that she has in fact had one or more jobs?

anonandlikeit Wed 17-Nov-10 17:44:01

I totally agree Kitty, I worked for my dad too for a while (p/t job as his small business was not enough to pay anyone f/time)
I was trying to say that there is nothing wrong with working for the family business & i know it can range from the local window clearner to richard branson.
But many very successful business people are fortunately able to fund their child through sprivate school & many of them go on to work for the family business.
Wasn't meant to be a judgemental statement, purely an observation.

RitaLynn Wed 17-Nov-10 17:45:25

No-one's denying she since leaving university about six years ago, she worked for less than a year at Jigsaw, and she's been doing some part-time work at home with the family. As for the latter job, we don't know what she really does, but the impression gleamed is that it's one that doesn't seem too strenuous and she can drop at any notice.

anonandlikeit Wed 17-Nov-10 17:45:41

Off to dust off my hat for the big day

LoopyLoops Wed 17-Nov-10 17:46:49

DH and I had this discussion last night. I was wondering what she would have done if he hadn't proposed, DH made a good point. Selling her story would set her up for life. Why would she bother working? (Apart from self-respect, of course).

EdgarAirbombPoe Wed 17-Nov-10 17:49:12

Add message | Report | Message poster lilyliz Wed 17-Nov-10 16:58:21
checkout at ASDA would have been good,shown her real life and for good measure night shift when the drunks and junkies come in.

i did night tills at tescos for a bit...i don't think that part of my life was any more 'real' than any other part..actually the sleep deprivation gave it a slightly unreal quality....

basically i think this is a bit of a wank angle to take because

1) SHE DID HAVE A JOB
2) one i'd have quite liked to do (accessories buyer - oh yes!)
3) the thing that prevented her career progressing was the media attention.
4) having education does not oblige you to do anything particular with it.

Bonsoir Wed 17-Nov-10 18:00:14

I think it is very odd that some posters think Kate Middleton has wasted her education. She did a degree in History of Art, which is hardly a professional training, just a general arts degree which must have been very enjoyable and a good cultural basis for life (particularly useful for a future Queen of England, I would have thought).

What I really think a pity is that Kate Middleton isn't a bit more worldly-wise. Accessories buyer for Jigsaw and working in her family firm sound quite dull to me.

EdgarAirbombPoe Wed 17-Nov-10 18:11:06

from the perspective of a graduate that went into retail, the 'buying' side of things was definitely one of the harder jobs to get, and is v. desirable.

I got retail management which is...less desirable.

buyers normally get shed loads of freebies, are courted by suppliers, and don't have the crap that people at the sharp end of the business get (ie, working weekends, long hours, customers...)

CamperFan Wed 17-Nov-10 18:12:23

i thought she was a buyer at Jigsaw? i would love that job!

But, seeing as neither of them has ever really had proper jobs, who pays the wedding?

I bet that is what the tories are bankrupting the country for. wink Less tax credits and benefits so that royals from all over the world, and outer space too, I bet, can come and celebrate the lovely poshies.

SweetKate Wed 17-Nov-10 18:20:32

She did have a job as a buyer at Jigsaw but the media intrusion made it unworkable for her and her colleagues (a friend of a friend also worked there at the same time). She has worked for her parents but also has had to be on call when Wills has needed her to be. Think she has been in an untenable position for the last 6 or so years TBH.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Wed 17-Nov-10 18:22:42

I don't think her education is wasted because she isn't working 60 hour weeks at Deloittes, more that she seems to have spent her 20s shopping and having her hair done, which I think is a colossal waste of the opportunities she has had to travel or work at an art gallery or do her Masters.

Bonsoir Wed 17-Nov-10 18:25:23

Yes, there are a lot more interesting things she could have done! Why didn't she learn some languages or do a masters in International Relations?

piscesmoon Wed 17-Nov-10 18:25:41

I can't believe how judgemental people are! I don't think that anyone life would stand up to public scrutiny-I'm sure that mine wouldn't.

anonandlikeit Wed 17-Nov-10 18:28:55

But why is a job the most important thing in the world, if I had enough money to do all the things in life I enjoy i'd retire tomorow.

She has worked p/time, not claimed benifits, not harmed anyone - she's hardly public enemy no1 is she.

There is more to life than a job, we should not all be defined & jusged by our employment - a little bit shallow & judgemental i think.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Wed 17-Nov-10 18:30:35

But Anon, she hasn't done bloody anything, not just not worked!

She must have ample opportunities to support charities but I've never heard of her doing anything like that.

MollieO Wed 17-Nov-10 18:35:56

Richard Branson's dd is using her training - she is heading up virgin health business. So not completely wasted.

anonandlikeit Wed 17-Nov-10 18:36:58

So, who knows how she spends her days? Because we have never heard about it doesn't mean she isn't involved in charity work, surely she would be accused of trying to create a do-gooder image. She can't win!

Maybe she has never done a days charity work in her life , again who knows -still doesn't amke her a bad person!

Maybe she enjoys shopping, getting her hair done & spending time wiht her boyfriend - sop
unds like a normal 20 something year old to me.

She can't win, give her a break.

piscesmoon Wed 17-Nov-10 18:37:35

I wouldn't do the job she is going to do, for all the tea in China! Always on display, never off duty, never gets Christmas with her family etc etc and gets constantly criticised by all and sundry-damned if she does and damned if she doesn't-a dire job!

so if she has been spending the last 8 years spending money, looks like she has been in training for her future role? wink

galletti Wed 17-Nov-10 18:41:06

Well, maybe she should have had one - even though she has been 'working' in the parent's company.

But now, well, after the wedding, or maybe even before, she will be using her education/intelligence working for charities etc.

And as for a 'waste of opportunities/good fortune' - I would say the opposite was true - she has used them to the hilt!

AliGrylls Wed 17-Nov-10 18:42:08

It's obvious what she has been doing for the past 7 years - grooming herself to be Princess Catherine. I am sure it is a full-time job in itself.

didldidi Wed 17-Nov-10 18:43:36

"had to be on call when wills needed her"
er why? i thought she was his girlfriend not is p.a.!

mathanxiety Wed 17-Nov-10 18:43:59

Maybe better not to hog a job that someone else might actually need? And if she had had more of a career, she would be heavily criticised for either giving it up or keeping it up...

A bit more education, as Bonsoir suggests, might have been a good idea, but her role will be the production of an heir and the adequate fulfillment of her royal duties, charity patronage, all very harmless stuff, not sitting in on cabinet meetings or writing editorials after all.

Most of the people in the set her family aspires to don't have 'jobs' as such. There's a whole stratum of society peopled by 'part-time party planners' -- not actually doing anyone any harm, not exactly making enough to pay rent, but perfectly acceptable for people who don't really need the salary.

theywillgrowup Wed 17-Nov-10 18:46:09

see where your coming from BUT atleast she has been working whether family buisness,from connections etc

what about Philip Greens daughter,richard Bransons son should they shelf stack just to prove how normal they are

she could of done alot less,and my god she will earn her position in many ways from now on being in the "firm"

5DollarShake Wed 17-Nov-10 18:52:37

As a feminist, I'm happy as long as she is choosing to do what she wants to do.

What good is feminism and women's rights if we're dictated to and judged by other women as to what we should do??

imgoingtobequeen Wed 17-Nov-10 18:55:44

it is hard work, always looking lovely, always performing.
Working for the family business is no walk in the park either.
You are all so mean!

LadyThompson Wed 17-Nov-10 18:55:54

You amaze me, you people who think that because she hasn't had more of a career (she has had jobs) her education was 'wasted'. What poppycock. What happened to education for its own sake? I suppose the same people think Classical Studies is a waste of time as it doesn't 'lead' to anything...I think a lot of it is rather ill-concealed jealousy from people who secretly wish they didn't have to work themselves.

theywillgrowup Wed 17-Nov-10 18:57:12

im not being mean,well not to kate anyway

agree smacks of jealousy

silverfrog Wed 17-Nov-10 18:58:17

oh threads ike this do make me laugh

<sahm of 2, never-really-had-a-proper-job-let-alone-a-career>

silverfrog Wed 17-Nov-10 18:59:15

<also sad to see the denigration of education for education's sake>

imgoingtobequeen Wed 17-Nov-10 19:00:13

Making me chuckle too

Desiderata Wed 17-Nov-10 19:03:21

Most university education is wasted because it surplus to requirement and totally unwarranted.

This young woman is about to undertake the biggest job imaginable. 24/7, for the rest of her life.

And for all those naysayers who claim the monarchy cost us money ... bollocks! They generate more than they spend.

And I wouldn't want their existence. Would you?

twopeople Wed 17-Nov-10 19:31:38

Message withdrawn

5DollarShake Wed 17-Nov-10 19:39:41

But that's why I'm happy to call myself a feminist - because it IS about choice. So what if other people misinterpret it - that's not feminism's fault! confused

Scarabeetle Wed 17-Nov-10 19:41:05

She's just secured the best job offer in the country. Jealous much?

Rachyandmeg Wed 17-Nov-10 19:51:55

To all those stating she should get a proper job what actually defines a proper job ? What is aa proper job?
Secondly saying she has wasted her education is ridiculous! How many people do degrees and end up with a different job than what they were originally planning ? Why divert all attention to kate ?
Also instead of finding these petty reasons to have a pop at her why dont you just come right out and say your jealous of her and wish you had a piece of her life? That would be more honest!

Rachyandmeg Wed 17-Nov-10 19:56:20

I mean I must agree with some of. These other posters I wouldn't like the job she will have because it would be so stressful and the crap she gets thrown at her would be so hard to deal with.. Though wouldn't mind a few of the perks oo vintage champagne, luxury breaks and a clothing allowance to die for to name but a few xxxx

theywillgrowup Wed 17-Nov-10 19:58:47

poor kate,i dont fancy her next job much,imagine her choices will be seriously limited,when the kids come along dont think she will be able to bring them up as her and wills will want,other people mapping out your life

yes maybe their marrage and life will be more "normal" than most royals but seriously a huge role to fill

think her education will and has stood her in good steed,dont see how its wasted

god leave the girl alone

twopeople Wed 17-Nov-10 20:00:09

Message withdrawn

Mumcentreplus Wed 17-Nov-10 20:01:05

Doe's it really matter?..hmm

Crazycatlady Wed 17-Nov-10 20:05:26

YABU. Your argument is dangerously close to 'why bother educating women if 'all' they are going to do is stay home and raise children' hmm

FellatioNelson Wed 17-Nov-10 20:05:59

I don't give a stuff what she has been doing really so long as she hasn't been clogging up the dole queue without good reason. But to say it's a waste of her expensive education is a red herring. When you go to school somewhere like Marlborough it's more about being with the 'right kind of people' than getting the a good education. And it was clearly money well spent for her parents wasn't it!

ivykaty44 Wed 17-Nov-10 20:08:02

Diana worked pre- marraige didn't she?

Yes Diana worked in a nursery school before she was engaged, one of the nursery school chidlren was her bridesmaid

amidaiwish Wed 17-Nov-10 20:10:44

if i was photographed every time i left the house i wouldn't have time for a job either. gym/hair/nails - that all takes time.

anyway, producing a catalogue for their party business takes a huge amount of work. maybe she wasn't doing much of it, but don't underestimate it.

she was hounded out of the accessories buyer job by the paps.

she was hounded out of the sisterhood team (girls charity fundraising team)

so leave her alone. and no, i wouldn't want what she has signed up for.

poshsinglemum Wed 17-Nov-10 20:12:07

I quite like Kate Middleton. She's georgeous, fun, frivolous, normal and will fit in with that lot.

However, I think she's a bit of a lightwieght compared to Diana who was a primary school teacher/assistant. I hope she does lots for charity.

I'm not a royalist but I'm really happy for them. I am a romantic at heart!

poshsinglemum Wed 17-Nov-10 20:12:36

I'm jealous of her hair though!

TheBolter Wed 17-Nov-10 20:13:32

Dunno if it's already been said on here, but... Kate Middleton'e education has been money incredibly well spent. It bought her a prince.

Prince Wills wouldn't have married a state school alumna would he? shock

TheBolter Wed 17-Nov-10 20:13:53

Middleton'*s*

poshsinglemum Wed 17-Nov-10 20:20:01

I feel bad for saying she's a lightwieght now. It must be awful to be hounded. Anyway; I think it's good news.

ivykaty44 Wed 17-Nov-10 20:20:27

Diana didn't leave school with a single o'level and worked as a nursery assistant and lived in a flat her father paid for, so how does kate become a light weight when she has finished university and left with a degree and worked int he family business.

Diana was a lovely young lady and so is Kate, they are different but not one better than the other

Bonsoir Wed 17-Nov-10 20:23:28

I think that Kate Middleton's History of Art degree is probably equivalent to Diana Sloane Ranger's nursery school assistant in another generation.

I don't think for a second that Kate's position was easy and I quite understand why she didn't pursue a career full guns ahead. But she could have done a few more horizon-broadening degrees / travel...

Mumcentreplus Wed 17-Nov-10 20:24:19

Katie wears a weave! <<runs>>

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 17-Nov-10 20:25:10

Kate'll be the first Queen of England ever with a degree, at least.

(a real one, I mean. When Cambridge finally decided to give degrees to women the first one they awarded was an honorary one to the Queen Mother hmm)

amidaiwish Wed 17-Nov-10 20:31:14

History of Art at St.Andrew's isn't an easy choice or an easy one to get into.

she must have pretty decent A levels too.

Melfish Wed 17-Nov-10 20:34:57

As previous posters have said, she did work for a short time at Jigsaw. It's probably sensible she then limited her work to helping out at her parents' business. There was always the goal she would end up as William's wife, so can you imagine if she had a 'normal' job working with the rest of us? Think of Kate working in my office- it's a massive public sector building with loads of staff - there would be camera phones snapping at her picking her nose, looking rough from the night before, stories of 'Kate leaves a floater in the bog' 'Kate winked at me over the photocopier' etc. The poor girl wouldn't have stood a chance, bearing in mind the amount of time we all spend at work.

At her parents' place all staff would be vetted and briefed that they could not talk about her, no matter how nice they could say she was. It seems she's spent most of the past 9 years or however long it's been keeping adverse stories of herself out of the media, something she's mainly achieved, from what I've seen of her, by keeping her social circle and work contacts limited. She would have found that very difficult in an open workplace. I wish her luck in her new job.

tessofderbyville Wed 17-Nov-10 20:37:53

I think OP should give the girl a break. Apparently she has been working and who cares anyway? Her education has played a huge role in making her who she is today and will stand her in good stead for her future.

Whilst on the subject of using one's time wisely, would the OP say that writing critical threads on Mumsnet about people one knows nothing about is productive or beneficial to anyone?

lady007pink Wed 17-Nov-10 20:51:43

Was she not a buyer for Jigsaw?

piscesmoon Wed 17-Nov-10 22:33:38

'What good is feminism and women's rights if we're dictated to and judged by other women as to what we should do??

Exactly. I still don't know why women are so horrible about each other. I also find it depressing that people think that the purpose of education is just a job, otherwise it is pointless.

lucky1979 Wed 17-Nov-10 22:44:59

She was doing marketing for Party Pieces, and judging how many different catalogues of theirs I seem to get, she must have been doing quite a bit of work. Managing the design and production of catalogues, promotion, printing and fulfilment and distribution isn't particularly glamourous work but the amount they fire out must have meant that she was doing quite a bit.

And William does have a job flying search and rescue helicopters, it's not a ceremonial role is it?

PURPLESWAN Wed 17-Nov-10 22:46:47

This is one of those threads which makes me realise how truly horrible and judgemental women can be about other women.

We dont all judge people on how glittering a "career" is as a truly well rounded person is so much more than just what they do for a living.

How many people who go to university actually "do" anything with the qualifcations they earn - it is something which annoys me massively but thats a whole other thread.

PURPLESWAN Wed 17-Nov-10 22:47:26

Oh and I wouldnt swap places with her for all the tea in china.

piscesmoon Wed 17-Nov-10 23:02:59

Someone further back said that she had secured the best job in the country!! I agree with PURPLESWAN there is no way I would do it-a horrible job! Good luck to her.

midori1999 Wed 17-Nov-10 23:23:14

I agree with Purpleswan and piscesmoon.

Aside from which, plenty of force wives and girlfriends do not work, mostly due to the nature of their partners/DH's job. Believe it or not, some of those have degrees too, some have even had successful, professional careers. But nobody gives a toss what they do or what jobs they have done...

FairPhyllis Thu 18-Nov-10 02:06:34

TBH I don't think she's very different to Diana, who had one of those Sloaney-type jobs to pass the time before making a good marriage. Diana's job certainly never paid the bills: she lived in a very swish flat in an expensive area of London, so she must have been supported by her father until she got married.

The main difference is that Kate and William's pre-engagement relationship lasted so much longer than his parents' that it became really difficult for her to do anything without being criticised for it. I suppose that looking back she might now wish that she'd done a Masters or some other educational qualification. She probably didn't realise exactly how long it would be before he was ready to marry.

Having said that I do think it is a bit sad if she felt she had to be permanently "on call" for William, who as far as I can see left her to twist in the wind for however many years it was.

madwomanintheattic Thu 18-Nov-10 02:50:36

lol midori grin
<forces wife. first class degree, masters, and planning a phd.>

dear god, without education i'd have thrown myself under a bus after the first posting.

loads and loads of US based research about the lot of the military spouse - if they manage to work at all, their jobs are lower paid and temporary. who in their right mind wants to pay good money training up an intelligent woman for them to pitch up the next day, apologise and say 'so sorry, short notice posting, i have to hand in my notice'.

<sigh>

but anyway, she isn't yet. although to all intents and purposes she has been for the last good few years.

dh and i were together 9 years before we got married. it was virtually impossible to see other as we were both serving (never in the same place/ country). she obviously made a concrete decision that she cared enough to be available. ultimately i made the same decision and left myself.

in our current posting i can count on my fingers the number of wives that work. less than 10%. (i am one of them. but i've got one of those poorly paid, 'doing it to pass the time' jobs that seem to be so despised.)

hey ho.

the lot of the military spouse is just to be permanently 'on call' for whenever they need you anyway - i don't think her life is going to change that much tbh, title or no.

if she's anything like the rest of us, she'll start breeding immediately to fill the unemployed hours.

Sakura Thu 18-Nov-10 04:49:01

She really doesn't know what's coming.
She's not only going to become a wife (and the societal expectations of this role continue to confound me) but a royal wife. There is such a big difference between being a girlfriend and a wife. It's going to be so awful in many ways. Not only that but she's got the added pressure of divorce not being a reasonable option.

SO I think we should all cut her some slack

Sakura Thu 18-Nov-10 04:50:06

And I've got to say, the more I see of her the more attractive she seems, in many ways. She was a really good choice for a prince IMO

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 18-Nov-10 08:54:09

She can still do a Masters, being married doesn't disqualify you from higher education AFAIK. wink

lots of universities do distance and flexible learning now....

mrswoodentop Thu 18-Nov-10 09:13:14

Diana worked 10 hours a week in a very posh Montessori ,she did not have a Montessori qualification and had one O level.Kate has 2Asand a B at A level and St Andrews is very competitive.She works for her parents business,they are entirely self made and have the work ethic in a big way ,but working anywhee else would have been practically impossible due to media and security issues.
I have a shred from a very good university and 2 professional qualifications but I do a job below that level because of my husbands job.Presumably I have wasted my education

mrswoodentop Thu 18-Nov-10 09:14:31

Sorry I have a degree .....blooming iPhone!

IntergalacticHussy Thu 18-Nov-10 09:29:38

i'm a graduate roughly the same age as Kate and i suppose you could say the same thing about me. I haven't had a 'career'; I've had jobs (like a lot of people as most skilled jobs are outsourced to developing nations, not that she can use that as an excuse!)

Mind you i've been bringing up kids for nearly 5 years so i s'pose that lets me off the hook a bit. and i'm married to dh rather than Prince William...

Education for the sake of education is something we are in danger of losing altogether.

Oh ffs! Does it matter?

NordicPrincess Thu 18-Nov-10 10:27:22

i thought she had a job, wasnt she chased on her way to work and that was why she won against the paps for harrassment?

KittyFoyle Thu 18-Nov-10 19:08:37

Next you'll be appalled if she's a SAHM. Remember the end of Educating Rita where she point out that for the first time in her life she had a choice. Fortunately for her I imagine Kate Middleton does give a toss what some total strangers with no real facts think of her decisions.

KittyFoyle Thu 18-Nov-10 19:09:39

Or rather does NOT give a toss...anyway I'm sure her PR people will be watching all this and advising her to say all the right things. Give her time and she'll be on here being interviewed.

KittyBigglesworth Thu 18-Nov-10 19:48:31

Unless she suffers severe cognitive decline, her education will always be useful, particularly for the life that she will be leading! I should think her degree will equip her well for conversing with crusties at the thousands of meals she will be expected to attend and at which she will be able to display a high level of cultural interest in the surrounding art. Academically, she is more intelligent than Diana was - she achieved 2 As and a B and a 2.1 from a well respected university, although in an age of grade inflation, that may not be as of an achievement as it would have been in Diana's day.

Whether she will have the perceptive intelligence that made others warm to Diana, especially when visiting victims in mundane or hostile surroundings, remains to be seen.

I know that some people expect that a degree should lead to career progression, with each successive job being of higher status and salary than the one before as they get older however I don't see anything wrong in learning for learning's sake. If money isn't a consideration, then a more lateral experience of studying another degree at a later point in life, taking different jobs that are taken just because they are of interest or in Catherine's case, helping her family business, isn't any less respectful.
Those with money always have and always will have greater choice.

Over the forthcoming decades, she won't be able to spend much time with her family and a parent can sometimes die earlier than expected - she may be glad for the time spent with them while she had the opportunity. Besides, many know of someone who qualified as a doctor or barrister and then pursued a different path; that is just as, if not more annoying. She has achieved her goal, I suppose, as her time will be dictated by a public & social agenda from now on - a full time job in itself.

In some ways, she's a sacrificial lamb. Her siblings will have elevated status and far more fun by dint of their sister doing 'time' and the family business will, no doubt, go from strength to strength because of the connection! Catherine will have little time, truly alone, with Will - imagine wanting to say "What the -fuck- heck did you say that for?" and knowing that all the flunkies are watching/listening or the long lens of a paparazzo catching a glum look or 40 something jowls? I wouldn't want that. It will become even harder as she ages and she the comparisons between her and how her deceased MIL looked at her age not cease.

So, no, she shouldn't have had to work anywhere other than for her family's business because her desired position limited her freedom and choice.

blueshoes Thu 18-Nov-10 20:33:13

You cannot be too bright to do her role. You'd die of boredom otherwise and won't adjust well to the constraints.

See what happened to the Crown Princess Masako of Japan who has all but disappeared from public life. She was a high flying diplomat before she married the Crown Prince.

Bonsoir Thu 18-Nov-10 21:00:22

Actually, I think that you don't want to be too bright to be married to Prince William... or you'd get very bored...

KittyFoyle Thu 18-Nov-10 22:08:06

Now the Royals are looking beyond their immediate family for partners the next generation might be a bit sparkier.

onimolap Thu 18-Nov-10 22:24:33

"well none of her new in-laws have what you would actually call a proper job do they?!"

The Countess of Wessex tried; but faced non-stop criticism (potential abuse of connexions, and actual set-up). The Earl attempted various enterprises, but proved not to have the necessary acumen; but he did give it a go.

HRH Prince Andrew really flew helicopters during the Falklands War (and Prince Phillip's rack of medals were nearly all really won on military operations in WW22

HMQ is reportedly still able to strip the engine out of a 4-tonner (her wartime service as a mechanic).

The Princess Royal won Olympic Gold. Zara Phillips might do the same.

I can't see what Kate could havce done - other than go back to university. Even charity work would have led to accusations that she was presuming on a status she had not yet got. She'd have been papped out of any normal job, and a major target for press set ups.

I think they got it right in seeking a relatively protected position for her. Unless there is a poster here who works for Party Pieces, we simply do not know what her working life has been like. Even if it was fairly mundane, that's hardly unique for a graduate these days, is it?

NorhamGardens Thu 18-Nov-10 22:44:31

Her job at Party Pieces will have meant she was cushioned and protected to a degree. When those you love are at the helm you don't have to worry about losing your job, an unpredictable boss, a horrible, unexpected showdown etc. It will also have probably meant that she could come and go as she pleased, annual leave could be extended etc. She will have had real flexibility in the role.

Having worked for a family business and knowing a little about about how they work this isn't unusual. The daughter of the firm I worked for often started late and finished early. She was extremely bright, pleasant and hard working when she was in the office but undeniably the 'rules' were different and she was protected from some of the harsher realities of office life and the working world.

I can see that Kate's choices were limited though and it looks like it was a sensible option. She seems mature, intelligent and pleasant too.

You can't compare it to a normal graduate in a mundane job. I've had a few soul destroying posts in my time. I knew I could lose my job at any time, the boss looked at his watch if I was 2 minutes late back from lunch, the office dragon made me carry a huge franking machine to the post office and my life a misery and so on. While I was addressing envelopes and filing there was a also a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, I could be out next week and unable to pay my rent. I was also emotionally unhappy as I was qualified to do more and concerned I'd never make it.

AitchTwoOh Fri 19-Nov-10 09:02:06

"The Countess of Wessex tried; but faced non-stop criticism (potential abuse of connexions, and actual set-up)."

actual abuse of connections, actually. mahoosively so. i know someone who worked for her.

EightiesChick Fri 19-Nov-10 10:43:59

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. I do sort of see why she is being criticised for apparently not caring much for a career - but the system she is entering doesn't really allow for it. I do feel strongly that education has inherent value in itself, and shouldn't need to be justified by having to get some worthy/big bucks jobs afterwards to prove what a great investment it was (the view the Tories are now pushing hard angry).

The one suggestion made here that I can see might have been workable would have been working in an art gallery or in some arts-based organisation, given her degree. Even then, decent posts like that would be very competitive, and she'd probably have been accused of being favoured over better qualified candidates if she's got a job at the National Portrait Gallery or something like that. But that or a charity - by which I mean an actual paid, but low-level job for a charity, rather than charity work in the royal sense - would have been the best option.

I can also see that she would want to be flexible as the partner of someone serving in the forces. Shame no-one could accommodate this better. Makes me think of people like Kelly Holmes who had an army career but (presumably) was allowed flexibility to compete in top-level athletics meetings. Could no organisation have offered her similar leeway?

I agree also that she's actually had a good preparation for the job of being a royal wife. From what I've read about it, it's not necessarily intellectually taxing but it does require you to be able to stay calm and pleasant and look interested through hours of touring primary schools, hospital wards and plastics factories, and ask reams of inoffensive but apparently thoughtful questions. I think it would drive me mad with boredom but it seems to have some value for at least some of the people visited. She seems like she has developed the emotional stamina to deal with it. If she'd spent her time doing something high-flying it'd probably be a lot harder to adjust.

LivinInThe80s Fri 19-Nov-10 10:56:57

"It makes me wonder why she went to University in the first place"???? Well, she didn't know William then, did she - so presumably she intended to have some kind of career after uni.

She did work for a while but TBH I'm glad she doesn't - think of the security she would have to have around her (paid for by us of course!!). She went to private school, presumably her parents paid her uni fees too so it's not as if she's "wasting" a state-paid education. And I'm sure when she is married she will become heavily involved with various charities and be given lots of opportunities to use her brain.

diddl Germany Fri 19-Nov-10 15:23:56

"I do sort of see why she is being criticised for apparently not caring much for a career - but the system she is entering doesn't really allow for it"

No, but for how long has she known that she would enter "this system"?

i do think that working for the family gave her the chance to be available to a degree that she wouldn´t otherwise have been able to.

But perhaps it has been known for a while that they would marry & that´s why she did it.

But surely as the wife of the future king, a degree can´t be considered a waste?

KittyFoyle Fri 19-Nov-10 20:57:52

AitchtwoOh - why is using connections 'abuse'. What's the point of them? This is the age of LinkedIn, Facebook etc They are only new versions of what has always been the case.

Her job at Party Pieces will have meant she was cushioned and protected to a degree. When those you love are at the helm you don't have to worry about losing your job, an unpredictable boss, a horrible, unexpected showdown etc. It will also have probably meant that she could come and go as she pleased, annual leave could be extended etc. She will have had real flexibility in the role.

This is such a sweeping generalisation and a massive assumption.

You have no idea what her actual circumstances were!

KittyFoyle Fri 19-Nov-10 21:08:00

Haven't you seen Bree and her son in Desperate Housewives?

AitchTwoOh Fri 19-Nov-10 23:44:31

whatever, kitty... she was not a good boss, hers was a terrible PR company to deal with, and she lied to foreign clients about access to the royal family.

KittyFoyle Sat 20-Nov-10 00:16:10

I'm not defending her - I know nothing about her and forgot she existed until she wandered out on Remembrance Sunday. Being a crap boss and a shite company which makes promises they have no intention of keeping is another issue. I use all the useful connections I can and will encourage my kids to do the same.

AitchTwoOh Sat 20-Nov-10 00:26:06

bully for you.

KittyFoyle Sat 20-Nov-10 00:33:12

thanks sweetie

AitchTwoOh Sat 20-Nov-10 00:38:01

?

KittyFoyle Sat 20-Nov-10 00:44:21

Bully for you is a term indicating praise, sometimes with a hint of sarcasm but often not. At first sight it seems an odd use of "bully" until one realises that the word had a 16th century meaning of fine fellow, sweetheart which probably came from the middle Dutch Boele = Lover.

I imagine yours had more than 'a hint of sarcasm' but chose to supply my image of you with a more generous nature than you wanted to display this evening.

AitchTwoOh Sat 20-Nov-10 00:57:37

kitty, why don't you take a wee look at yourself? i wrote "actual abuse of connections, actually. mahoosively so. i know someone who worked for her."

i didn't ever write that using connections equalled abuse of connections, which is what you nevertheless seem to have taken umbrage at.

i wrote, because i know of her and her business practices, that she did actually abuse her connections, in that she offered more to clients in terms of her royal status than she could or would ever provide. this was also amply established by a sting operation run on her by a tabloid newspaper. okay?

no doubt you'll be apologising for your pissy tone now that you see your embarrassing error.

Quattrocento Sat 20-Nov-10 01:02:52

I dunno, seems a bit off to criticise Kate Middleton for not being Xenia. Very few women are. There are lots on this forum who basically don't work and expect to be kept by husbands/fathers/the state. Why pick on Kate Middleton?

NorhamGardens Sat 20-Nov-10 01:04:34

I said:

her job at Party Pieces will have meant she was cushioned and protected to a degree. When those you love are at the helm you don't have to worry about losing your job, an unpredictable boss, a horrible, unexpected showdown etc. It will also have probably meant that she could come and go as she pleased, annual leave could be extended etc. She will have had real flexibility in the role.

Because I'm worth it said:

This is such a sweeping generalisation and a massive assumption.

You have no idea what her actual circumstances were!

I should have said her job at Party Pieces may well have meant that she was more cushioned and protected than if she was working in another post.

I stand by this part. Her parents ran the company, they are apparently a very close family and have her best interests at heart and love her. This is highly likely to make things easier than they might otherwise be. From my own experience in any case.

Of course this does not mean to say there may not have be other obstacles she had to face at work. In my experience silent resentment from some other employees who were not allowed the same flexibility. It's also possible that her parents were incredibly tough task masters and she felt under huge pressure to prove herself but that isn't the feeling I get. We can't know of course. I would still say you are less likely to be fired too, again looking at the company I worked for.

KittyFoyle Sat 20-Nov-10 01:05:40

I never take umbrage unless it's lying around and no-one needs it.

If you take a little peek at yourself you'll notice I was referring to your sarky response to my mentioning using my own connections. No sure why you find my imaginary error embarrassing. I'm sure you'll get over it.

AitchTwoOh Sat 20-Nov-10 01:19:42

"KittyFoyle Fri 19-Nov-10 20:57:52

AitchtwoOh - why is using connections 'abuse'. What's the point of them? This is the age of LinkedIn, Facebook etc They are only new versions of what has always been the case."

as per my last post... i didn't say that using connections is 'abuse'.

i said that she was abusing connections, which has been amply established as fact.

that is your error. you didn't read what i wrote. bit of an embarrassing mistake, i'd have thought.

Bonsoir Sat 20-Nov-10 09:55:22

"There are lots on this forum who basically don't work and expect to be kept by husbands/fathers/the state. Why pick on Kate Middleton?"

I haven't come across many people on this forum who expect to be kept by anyone: most MNers work pretty hard raising DCs and taking care of their home and DH. Since leaving university, Kate Middleton hasn't had a home, DH or DCs to raise and care for.

I think her professional ambitions were severely compromised by her relationship with Prince William. But I still think she could have done some more studies.

Beveridge Sat 20-Nov-10 10:04:46

I was tutting and nodding along with the 'can't believe she doesn't have a proper job' and then I thought about it. After leaving Uni, I stumbled into working in Social Care for a number of years, all unqualified posts as I didn't have a DipSw so by some people's definition a 'waste' of my History degree.

Didn't know what I wanted for a career, couldn't make a decision, thought I'd coast along for a bit and maybe do the DipSW at some point.

It wasn't until I was almost 30 that I realised I wanted to teach (and realised I was finally ready for it, thanks in no small part to the kind of jobs I had done in my 20s). Did my PGCE, loved it ever since.

Maybe KM just hadn't reached that point of working out what she wanted to do? She's not even 30 yet, just a young thing in my book...

beatenbyayellowteacup Wed 20-Apr-11 22:17:43

Wow a lot of heartfelt reactions here!

I can't help thinking that it would be nice for the future Queen or Crown Princess had something she was interested in other than shopping and playing hockey/rowing. None of these things are bad but she is a bit bland.

Education is good for it's own sake - no issue there. But where's her voice? Where is her 3rd dimension??

overthesea Wed 27-Apr-11 19:15:21

Aah but her education didn't go to waste. She and Pips met a load of sloaney friends which gave her a leg up and the contacts she needed at St Andrews. They're not known as the Wisteria sisters for nothing.

And she has been working hard ever since playing passive wifey, staying out of any paid employment that might have meant she couldn't be at his beck and call, running back when he dumped her (and getting shouted at in a pub car park just up the road). Canny girl/mother/family.

Friday - mission accomplished

Insomnia11 Thu 28-Apr-11 12:32:59

It sounds like she has worked AFAIK. People don't necessarily graduate from university, go straight into a job they hate until they die these days. There are no 'jobs for life' anyway.

A good education is never a waste. What about all the degree educated SAHMs? Are you not wasting your education? I don't think so.

overthesea Thu 28-Apr-11 13:11:09

Someone I know, knows them well. It was apparently suggested she leave Jigsaw (i.e. she was sacked) because other employees complained about her endless absences/skiving.

ninedragons Thu 28-Apr-11 13:40:18

I am no fan of the monarchy but any normal position simply wouldn't have been tenable because of the massive media interest in her.

Anything connected with business (law firm, bank) wouldn't touch her because they'd suddenly have Rupert Murdoch's vast resources focused on hacking their email servers, tapping their phones, bribing their other staff for stories about her, following their staff to meetings, photographing their clients, etc etc etc.

Anything that involved interacting with the public wouldn't work - if she were an estate agent you'd get 30,000 people turning up ostensibly wanting her to show them through a 2BR terrace in Swansea.

Diana's nursery job was in another age. Can you imagine picking your DC up from a nursery which had 120 aggressive photographers jostling on the footpath outside every single day?

I can't think of a single job she could realistically have done, apart from the one with her family firm.

Rhinestone Thu 28-Apr-11 13:42:14

Well she hasn't been claiming benefits so frankly I think it's none of our business. If I was in her shoes I wouldn't have worked either.

Miggsie Thu 28-Apr-11 13:43:39

I don't think the Duchess of Devonshire ever had a job, but she did a bloody good job of running Chatsworth for 70 years.

overthesea Thu 28-Apr-11 16:14:42

The Duchess of Kent has been teaching piano for 10 years and before that she was a teaching in a primary school and no one knew (she was quite well known in those days). It can be done. I doubt the paps could be bothered anywhere outside of London and the South East.

Jilkh Fri 29-Apr-11 15:13:35

Try finding a job with that degree - it's not exactly vocational.

Why shouldn't she work for her dad if she wants to?

Not everyone has to be a driven career woman - given the life she's signed up to, perhaps it's as well she isn't.

edam Fri 29-Apr-11 15:36:23

Just on a point of fact, her parents aren't self-made. Her father's family has had money for generations. Not on an aristocratic scale, but substantial amounts from a long line of lawyers. Her mother's family were poor but obviously Carole married up.

r0zebud Sun 01-May-11 21:54:11

She's maybe spent a bit of time in recent years being prepared for what's going to be a very difficult transition for any person. I'm sure she must have been undergoing media, etiquette and a big variety of other lessons to prepare her for their life ahead as, at the very least, ambassadors for Britain. Her degree will give her a broad knowledge of historical and cultural issues, although I'm sure that not many art history students use their degree at all, she will probably use it more than most! I hear that she also baked cakes and took them into Wills' work smile What's not to love?

JulesJules Netherlands Sun 01-May-11 22:08:26

Education is a good thing on its own - it doesn't have to lead directly to a career in order not to be a waste of time.

I did Medieval English at University and that hasn't led me anywhere grin

I have also spent time working for my Dad...

Can't believe I'm defending the Royal family <faints>

lilnutter Sun 01-May-11 23:12:08

I quite enjoyed the idea that she might have hand packed the party box I ordered from them! hehhee so unlikely!

LaDolceRyvita Fri 06-May-11 15:34:52

Well, she won't ever work again from here on in!!

Numberlock Thu 13-Jun-13 23:22:52

Made me laugh (wryly) tonight on the news, she's going on maternity leave now apparently.

And the American women fawning over her ability to still walk in heels.

Give me a break, it's in such poor taste in the current climate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now