who wants to speculate on willkat's first child's name?

(202 Posts)
darleneconnor Wed 17-Nov-10 11:20:53

I know they've only just got engaged but an heir and a spare will be on their way soon enough.
My first thoughts are:
George/ georgia
Arthur
Alexandra
Edward
Elizabeth
Matilda
Jane
Victoria
Diana
James

MissMashMissMash Wed 17-Nov-10 12:34:15

Anna
Alice
Robert
Thomas

domesticsluttery Wed 17-Nov-10 12:37:19

Spyros
Helmut
"our Jack"

3nearly4 Wed 17-Nov-10 12:38:00

His full name is William Arthur Phillip Louis

I think he will go for Arthur or Louis for a boy. Or maybe Albert.

Girl I think Alice or maybe Elizabeth (after granny and Catherine's middle name). Diana will be a middle name for sure.

MrsvWoolf Wed 17-Nov-10 12:54:31

Georgiana
Victoria
Katherine

Albert

ludog Wed 17-Nov-10 13:01:28

Kayden
Beyonce

suzikettles Wed 17-Nov-10 13:02:15

It'll be George for a boy and Alice for a girl.

Bue Wed 17-Nov-10 14:34:12

Edward or George fit in perfectly with naming today but there have been so many kings with those names in recent centuries. I'd like them to back further. Arthur would be good.

For a first daughter I am guessing Victoria. Matilda would also be lovely, since she should have been queen before her cousin usurped the throne.

Diana = way too much pressure on the girl with that name. I think it will be a middle name.

Ah I dont think George because in the back of my mind I think if Charles is ever king the intention is that he will be George - bizarre I know but I think the less than salubrious Charles's of the past are why

Bue Wed 17-Nov-10 15:34:03

Really? I thought that name change thing was a peculiar Victorian/Edwardian blip. When they asked the Queen what name she would be using, she said "My own, of course". We shall see! I find regnal name changes very weird.

Edmundo Wed 17-Nov-10 16:17:33

Edward & Victoria

Haliborange Wed 17-Nov-10 21:01:08

I'm hoping they'll amuse me by doing it Twilight style:

Diacanarole for a girl

or maybe

Michaerles for a boy.

MissMashMissMash Wed 17-Nov-10 21:15:21

Albert

1944girl Wed 17-Nov-10 21:18:20

Sienna and Bailey

MissMashMissMash Wed 17-Nov-10 21:18:30

Bertie as a nickname would be cute. Wasn't the Queen's Dad called this although his official name was George?

Ineedsomesleep Wed 17-Nov-10 21:46:16

Adelaide
Augusta
Claudine
Louise
Mary
Alexandra
Marguerite

MelinaM Thu 18-Nov-10 00:38:22

I've no idea, but I'm almost certain there'll be a Diana and an Elizabeth within the girls namegrin

Ineedsomesleep Thu 18-Nov-10 09:49:34

Frederick seems a popular royal name and I quite like the thought of a King Fred smile

imahappycamper Thu 18-Nov-10 10:00:46

Elizabeth Diana

Charles Philip

Psammead Thu 18-Nov-10 10:57:03

Thomas
Stephen

Lydia
Abigail

Ineedsomesleep Thu 18-Nov-10 11:57:42

So are we going for Helmut Kayden Michaerles Bailey then? grin

muminthecity Thu 18-Nov-10 13:38:27

Dave and Joan

Rockbird Thu 18-Nov-10 13:42:16

Elizabeth Diana Carole and Philip Charles Michael.

Saltire Thu 18-Nov-10 13:46:06

I don't think there will be a james, not with all the specualtion about James hewitt. I think if they did call a child James, the press would have a few comments!grin

How about Berengaria, after Richard the Lionheart's wifegrin
Eleanor - after Eleanor of Aquitane
Rufus - 2nd son of William the Conqueror
Robert (the Bruce)
Mary (of Scots)
Kenneth

mathanxiety Thu 18-Nov-10 22:49:51

Caroline
Margaret

Philip
Albert

imahappycamper Fri 19-Nov-10 13:21:25

Is it about time the royals recycled Victoria?

grumpypants Fri 19-Nov-10 13:24:23

Edith

HowsTheSerenity Fri 19-Nov-10 13:27:07

Well they could always copy the Danes. Boys have to be Frederick or Christian.

mathanxiety Fri 19-Nov-10 20:14:58

Mary
Alice
Cecelia/Cecile
Frances
Charlotte
Helena
Alexandra
Adelaide

Alexander
Constantine
Alfred
Nicholas
Andrew
Victor

darleneconnor Sat 20-Nov-10 11:50:28

Having given this way too much thought grin I don't think they will use the same first nameas any other living members of the royal family.

For their firstborn I also don't think they will use a name that hasn't been a previous monarch.

Which pretty much just leaves Victoria and George.

onimolap Sat 20-Nov-10 12:18:09

As they're Waleses, then I guess there'll be David in the middle for a boy, plus Phillip, and maybe Henry as the brothers are close, or Michael; probably with a name of one of Queen Victoria's children: Alfred, Albert or Arthur, possibly also Alexander or George.

A girl would have Diana, Catherine and Elizabeth in the middle, with a Victorian name such as Victoria itself, Alice or Helena, possibly also Alexandra, Caroline, Isabella or Mary.

LovelyJuggly Fri 31-Dec-10 06:13:41

Ibrahim.

VerintheWhite Tue 04-Jan-11 16:14:07

Alfred David Phillip Arthur Charles
Diana Elizabeth Margaret for middles for a girl

Not Arthur, I think its been avoided since Henry VII's son died, not James as Edward has one already.

Changebagsandgladrags Sat 09-Apr-11 22:35:09

Wayne or Waynetta

missmelo Wed 20-Apr-11 22:25:54

Emma
Victoria
Matilda
Margarita
Caroline
Grace
Elizabeth
Helena
Eleanor

Arthur
Louis
George
Henry
David
Albert
Alexander

Diana for sure for a middle name

ValiumBandwitch Sat 23-Apr-11 10:04:50

Can they use Elizabeth again? well they can, but there is already a young Eliza short for Elizabeth in the family. Whose child she is escapes me right now.

What are Edward's children called? Alice and John is it?

ValiumBandwitch Sat 23-Apr-11 10:06:57

onimolop, I like your predictions. Think Victoria or Caroline for a girl quite likely to be on their list.

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 10:09:30

alfred

canute

boudicca

henrietta

henry

charlotte

rufus

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 10:13:24

alexandrina which if i'm not mistaken was victoria's given name until her father or uncle had a strop at her christening

albert

georgiana

Ponders Sat 23-Apr-11 10:15:07

MissMashMissMash
Bertie as a nickname would be cute. Wasn't the Queen's Dad called this although his official name was George?

His name was actually Albert - he took the name George when he became King in the interests of continuity etc, after Edward VIII (whose name was actually David confused) fucked up

(Apols if someone has already answered this!)

Ponders Sat 23-Apr-11 10:18:13

oh - sorry - Edward VIII was

Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David

aka David grin

(they clearly got all 4 UK patron saints in there - never noticed that before!)

kickingking Sat 23-Apr-11 10:21:14

Edward's little girl is called Louise, Valium. She's a bridesmaid, I believe

My money's on Alice for a girl. Other likely contenders are Victoria, Mary or Caroline.

Boys...hmm. Albert or George?

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 10:21:28

john i think is also a no go for similar reasons to arthur

richard maybe

ValiumBandwitch Sat 23-Apr-11 10:31:27

ah yes, Louise and James. Thanks.

Possibly David for a first name for a boy? the names the royals pick are always out of fashion (and george and alice are very IN fashion)

Mary for a girl could be on the list. There was a Queen Mary once wasn't there? confused

Ponders Sat 23-Apr-11 10:36:23

several, VB smile

kickingking Sat 23-Apr-11 10:40:43

That's true about Alice and George.

Mary sounds likely. I actually think it's a very pretty sounding name - similar sound to Molly, really.

I'm finding boys harder. David could be a possibilty as they are Waleses. Freesia's suggestion of Richard might be another.

I'm embarrassed at how into this I am getting - I'm a republican, dammit!

gorionine Sat 23-Apr-11 10:43:47

Albert

Mary
Victoria

Ponders Sat 23-Apr-11 10:55:56

(think of it as just another baby name thread, kickingking wink)

These are Victoria's children's full names. The boys all got Albert & Louise got Alberta (I like that!) but the girls didn't all get Victoria. And there is a German influence of course...

Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa
Albert Edward
Alice Maud Mary
Alfred Ernest Albert
Helena Augusta Victoria
Louise Caroline Alberta
Arthur William Patrick Albert
Leopold George Duncan Albert
Beatrice Mary Victoria Feodore

anyway without blatant duplication/"copying"they could have

Victoria
Adelaide
Mary
Louisa
Alice
Maud
Helena
Augusta
Caroline
Alberta
Theodora (instead of Feodore)

Albert
Alfred
Ernest (I think not...grin)
Arthur (superstition aside)
Patrick
Leopold
Duncan

valiumbandwitch Sat 23-Apr-11 11:14:03

ooh leopold sounds ripe for revival. but Leo could be a bit papish for the church of england?! i dunno does that matter to them?

kickingking Sat 23-Apr-11 11:42:49

Duncan is a bit Macbeth, sounds unlucky to me <weirdo emoticon>

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 13:24:47

possibly they will be advised not to use anything seen as too pretentious ,remember the slating fergie had for eugenie. that probably rules ot augusta and alberta (although cannot imagine many 30 year olds who find that appealing). caroline again would probably be too of their own generation iyswim ( i know quite a view in their 30's and early 40's)

patrick as a first name possibly perceived as to irish and they wouldn't want to upset the scots and the welsh . same probably applies to david , andrew and duncan someone in the union would be miffed.

i don't envy her it was hard enough finding names without worrying about upsetting half the country.

Unity might hit the right note or even Prudence

Mary could in some circles could be seen as too papist daft but true

i think her grandmother was Dorothy or Dorathea so Theodora might be in with a chance

the childs surname will be mountbatten not windsor .as i think when the Queen married Philip there was some agreement that his surname or it's anglicised form would be used for the great grandchildren

Margaret might be an option

Arabella also might be an option lady arabella stuart was once a contender for the throne arabella stuart

or if she's having a really hormonal moment she could always try Tiaamii smile

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 13:30:48

If it's twins they could name after the other royal couple
and try
david and victoria smile

gorionine Sat 23-Apr-11 13:33:33

You have not given this much thought then freesias?grin

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 13:40:55

yes go i have been giving this far to much thought it at least takes my mind of my own naming dilemmas

gorionine Sat 23-Apr-11 13:46:03

Have you got a thread on ATM for your own choices? Boy? Girl? Both? Can we helpsmile

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 13:47:31

personally i'd love her to go for something hyphenated and deemed ultra c***y on mumsnet . i give you princess lilydaisy -mae or prince jayden-kai . probably not going to happenn but the mumsnet baby names thread would have apoplexy .

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 13:49:44

go have had ongoing threads on babynames for the past year but have now finally settled it . now just thinking about a name for number 9 (ttc atm) if we're so lucky.

gorionine Sat 23-Apr-11 13:52:23

That is what I call organised! smile

All the best!

IslaValargeone Sat 23-Apr-11 13:55:32

Frances Elizabeth

Whatevs Sat 23-Apr-11 14:01:02

George for a boy

Emily, Alice, Lucy for a girl.

Ponders Sat 23-Apr-11 14:12:14

oooh, Lucy has made me start thinking of Narnia - they could have

Caspian
Peter
Edmund
Eustace

or Puddleglum, Reepicheep, Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah grin

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 14:17:46

on a narnia theme how about
susan

aurora - princess aurora does sound beautiful

freesias Sat 23-Apr-11 14:20:22

go only being organised because dc8 was over a year before we finally stopped arguing about her name

CarefulWithThatAxeEugene Sat 23-Apr-11 15:10:27

Arthur has certainly not been deliberately avoided - not if the story is true that Prince Charles wanted William to be Arthur, but Diana vetoed the name. Sounds a believable tale to me.

As for 'Mary' being 'too papist' - good heavens, the RF has always been chockablock with Marys. It's one of the Queen's names, after her grandmother.

Has there been a recent Elizabeth in the RF? I think not, and I wonder if it has been kind of "reserved" for Charles and then William. Doesn't mean it would necessarily be chosen, though.

kickingking Sat 23-Apr-11 22:48:56

Not Unity - what about Unity Mitford?! Hitler's other half?! shock

Princess Aurora! Better keep her away from spinning wheels...

Ohwhatabeautifulmorning Sun 24-Apr-11 21:16:44

I read in a magazine that they like Charlotte for a girl and Michael for a boy

Frances was Diana's Middle Name and was given after her grandmother so maybe they will consider this as a less direct tribute to Diana

valiumbandwitch Mon 25-Apr-11 16:55:51

Princess Chessie

CarefulWithThatAxeEugene Mon 25-Apr-11 18:22:59

Frances was Diana's mother, so William's (other) grandmother.

Ponders Mon 25-Apr-11 21:38:50

Princess Frances not a good sound though!

CarefulWithThatAxeEugene Mon 25-Apr-11 21:55:03

The Crown Prince/ss of Denmark have just christened their twins and the boy is Vincent, so he'll be Prince Vince

Alice is a popular royal name - Prince Philip's mother was Alice and the Queen's aunt, the Duchess of Gloucester was another as well as Queen Victoria's daughter who was also Prince Philip's great-grandmother.

I think Leopold would be nice, also Albert for a boy.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Apr-11 22:11:41

Don't the Royals have a thing where whatever their name is they won't be King Theirname. So Charles won't be King Charles, but he'll choose another name for his King name. I'm sure I read that he's going to be King George as he doesn't like the association King Charles has with being beheaded or something.

valiumbandwitch Mon 25-Apr-11 22:15:40

do they still do that? because Elizabeth is Queen Elizabeth.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Apr-11 22:17:20

According to wikianswers;

He can choose any of his given names.

Thus he could be Charles III, Philip I, Arthur I, or George VII.

It is conventional wisdom that he will choose George VII, in honor of his grandfather.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Apr-11 22:18:14

I reckon they would pick Philip for a boy, Frances or Alice for a girl.

valiumbandwitch Mon 25-Apr-11 22:22:55

What about Anna (as it's part of Diana) would that be too cheesey?

freesias Tue 26-Apr-11 00:54:39

if it doesn't arrive till august/september 2012 they could always consider olympia as one of it's 4 names would also be a nod to prince phillips greek heritage

valiumbandwitch Tue 26-Apr-11 10:15:51

oooh Olympia is lovely.

I suggested Olympia on the thread for posh spice so hope PS doesn't 'steal' Kate's baby name.

antshouse Wed 27-Apr-11 16:58:47

Britainii.

Romilly70 Wed 27-Apr-11 22:53:59

First born will be probably be sovereign as they will probably have abolished primogeniture by then, in line with the rest of europe.

So a future Queen Victoria sounds like a lot of pressure...
My favourites are

Maud
Alexandra
Charlotte

middle names as said, Diana, Elizabeth

Boys names are difficult as they all seem to be used up
I would go for

Arthur John Michael Phillip

(john was princess diana's father)
surname would be Wales - as prince william has sewn on his flight suit - "Will Wales"

Ponders Wed 27-Apr-11 23:05:14

you missed out Charles, Romilly - that'll need to be in there somewhere

MultiTaskerMum Thu 28-Apr-11 09:30:04

I like Horatio ;)

freesias Thu 28-Apr-11 10:18:39

romilly surname will be mountbatten , when phillip married elizabeth there was an agreement that windsor would be used as the children's and grandchildren's surname but that his surname would be used for the great grandchildren . i may be mistaken on this but i'm 99% sure i've heard this on the radio or in the press at sometime.

Ponders Thu 28-Apr-11 10:42:43

From Wiki:

'Although Royals do not tend to use a last name, in the instance of a marriage, for example, Prince William's last name is Mountbatten-Windsor. This is the surname of all descendents of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II excluding females who marry.
The name Mountbatten-Windsor derives from the Royal surname Windsor, decided in 1917 by George V. Before this, the Royal surname was technically Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, but due to anti-German sentiment after WWI, the decision was made to change the royal surname to Windsor.
In 1960, the Queen and Prince Philip decided to create a surname for their direct descendants, incorporating the surnames 'Windsor' and Prince Philip's previous surname, 'Mountbatten'.
Therefore, Mountbatten-Windsor is the surname of all male, and unmarried female descendants of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II including Charles, William and Harry.'

Ponders Thu 28-Apr-11 10:48:00

I suspect he uses Wales because Mountbatten-Windsor is

a) a mouthful
b) a giveaway

the Wiki piece also says his friends at St Andrews always referred to him as Steve in case any press were listening grin

How about Prince Stephen? wink

EdithWeston Mon 03-Dec-12 17:55:15

Given today's news perhaps Nausica?

CheerfulYank Mon 03-Dec-12 18:09:46

I think it'll be Arthur or Albert for a boy...maybe Matilda or Alexandra for a girl. Elizabeth in the middle of course. smile

CaliBee Mon 03-Dec-12 18:11:10

Maybe its twins....hence the sickness.

LynetteScavo Mon 03-Dec-12 18:12:38

Alice or Matilda

Albert (known as BertieI would always snigger at Prince Albert << immature >>) or George. Or maybe Joseph.

If Edwards son wasn't called James I would have gone for James.

JugglingWithPossibilities Mon 03-Dec-12 18:17:26

Alice Elizabeth Louise ?

And/or !

Arthur William George ?

FivesAndNorks Mon 03-Dec-12 18:19:29

said this on the other thread but I'm going with Arthur or Victoria

MaryChristmaZEverybody Mon 03-Dec-12 18:27:59

I said this on the other thread.

Alice Elizabeth Catherine Diana, or some combination thereof.

NOT Charles, Philip, George, Edward, Andrew or any of the cousins. Which leaves only a few.

Arthur or Ethelred, maybe grin

DontmindifIdo Mon 03-Dec-12 18:37:53

I'm finding this rather difficult, I'm due in June, so as she's supposedily only 2 months gone, I'll have this DC a month before Kate has her's. Whatever she picks will shoot to the top of the baby name lists, if I accidently get the smae name it's likely there'll be 2-3 of the same named DC in their class. And they'll have a lifetime of "yes, like Prince/Princess X, no I wasn't named after them, I'm actually older."

<overthinking>

I hope she goes with Alice or Arthur, neither work with our surname. She can have those.

FivesAndNorks Mon 03-Dec-12 18:38:06

but andrew would be where they met grin

FivesAndNorks Mon 03-Dec-12 18:38:52

DD would have been an arthur (maybe...doesn't really work with our surname) but is an alice

mmichellepfei Mon 03-Dec-12 18:53:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LimeLeafLizard Mon 03-Dec-12 19:08:21

just seen this thread. They had better not use Alice as it is MY CHOICE!!! (baby due Feb) and I don't want DD to share it with a princess for the reasons DontmindifIdo says...

Hands off Kate and Will, I got there first.

NaiceDude Mon 03-Dec-12 19:18:43

I think it's a girl, and I think she'll be called Charlotte.

It's lucky Kate's called Catherine really, isn't it. A very inoffensive, very royal, very British name. Imagine if her parents had got cre8iv, or called her Trixabelle, or given her an excessively French name. I wonder if he'd have still married her.

NaiceDude Mon 03-Dec-12 19:19:29

fives grin

Vair Beckham!

happybubblebrain Mon 03-Dec-12 19:21:25

Boring.

BangOffTrend Mon 03-Dec-12 19:30:06

Just want to put on the record that Alice and/or Arthur are our choices for an eventual DC4 and have been for the past 2 years. There.

FairPhyllis Mon 03-Dec-12 19:36:15

Maud
Margaret and variations thereof
Matilda
Eleanor
Isabel
Blanche
Mary
Joanna/Joan
Jane
Adelaide
Caroline
Charlotte
Alexandra
Victoria
Helena
Christina
Alice

Richard
George
Edmund
Frederick
David
Alfred

Names it will NOT be: John, Arthur, Diana (as a first name), Philip, any of the Egg names.

Mu1berries Mon 03-Dec-12 20:11:11

wow edithweston well done for finding this thread!

Pluto Mon 03-Dec-12 20:59:34

Albert Philip

Lizzie Pips

Don't think they'll pick David...not with a current PM with that name.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:05:48

she is less than 12 weeks pregnant
therefore still has almost a 1 in 3 chance of a miscarriage
especially as she is underweight and ill
leave the poor girl in peace

EdithWeston Mon 03-Dec-12 21:09:18

My pleasure - though this forum is so little used, it's easy to find stuff, and it's interesting (at least on a night when there's not much on telly) to look back at how ideas shaped (or stayed pretty constant).

YuleBritannia Mon 03-Dec-12 21:18:28

What about Rex if it's a boy or Regina if it's a girl?

ImperialSantaKnickers Mon 03-Dec-12 21:25:34

Second TalkinPeace2. How many of us chose to tell the world at 8 weeks? I'm damn certain this news would have stayed under wraps until well into next year if the poor woman wasn't being so sick the Firm decided it was better to announce than to allow feverish speculation.

on the other thread i wrote, lucy, because i like it,
isobel and andrew because they are scottish and that is where they met
plus Stephen
another possiblity is Charlotte, and sarah, which are nice.

or even Wilhemena? wink

Babyroobs Mon 03-Dec-12 21:31:53

Ellie - Mae, Kayden , Jayden or Brandon.

CircleofTruth Mon 03-Dec-12 21:33:46

One name it's not going to be is David. That was the name of Edward VIII who renounced the throne in favour of current queen' s dad. For Yank lady called Wallis... Books are closed on Victoria for a girl...although our house would be delighted with a Charlotte!

TalkinPeace2 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:34:53

Kylie
Nikita
Jordan
Harley

zamantha Mon 03-Dec-12 21:36:48

Think a scottish name will be in there somewhere

Nigel1980 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:38:38

Mavis

Archibald

I really hope its one of these!!

DaPrincessBride Mon 03-Dec-12 21:53:11

For some reason I think it's a girl - and I think Alice something__ Elizabeth Windsor.

Actually they will probably sneak Diana in there too.

If I'm totally wrong and it's a boy, then I reckon Albert Charles Philip.

grin

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Mon 03-Dec-12 21:54:42

Nigel1980 Queen Mavis!! shock grin

ThisIsMummyPig Mon 03-Dec-12 22:30:03

I thought there was some rule that royals can only recycle names - which was why Beatrice an Eugenie came about - they wanted a name people didn't know about, but were stuck with choosing something from the ancestory.

Therefore names like Lucy would be out, Charlotte and Alice in.

SomersetONeil Mon 03-Dec-12 22:42:54

My name and DD's name have thus far been mentioned.

Must be a mildly gutting to not be able to go with a name you'd always liked due to royal naming conventions and the rather narrow choice of suitable names. Having said that, I don't think either Kate or Wills have too many issues with staying within the confines, and probably would never have gone for a trendy or creative name anyway.

kweggie Mon 03-Dec-12 23:05:09

Lol ludog

something traditional? Sharon? Dave? Gary?Tracey?

morethanpotatoprints Mon 03-Dec-12 23:24:12

James, Albert, Henry, George, Edward. Charlotte, Alice, Victoria, Elizabeth.

Something very traditional.

TheCatInTheHairnet Tue 04-Dec-12 02:01:00

I think there is absolutely every chance that this will end up with no baby at all, but their hands have been forced. So perhaps this conversation would be better for when they actually get to the magic 12/20/40 weeks?!

CheerfulYank Tue 04-Dec-12 02:21:48

Charlotte Elizabeth Mary Diana. Lovely. smile

Feel so bad for poor Kate. HG is hell, let alone in the public eye and having to announce before you want to. sad Best wishes for her and the baby.

Welovecouscous Tue 04-Dec-12 02:28:59

Alexandra Elizabeth Mary Diana
George Charles Henry Louis

Welovecouscous Tue 04-Dec-12 02:30:51

If she has had an early scan (likely) and there was a HB she has a pretty low chance of mc

PuffPants Tue 04-Dec-12 02:45:47

I'm surprised to hear John is a front-runner with the bookies. I doubt they would name a son after William's grandfather on his mother's side, rather than Prince Phillip.

Anyway, it's a girl, I'm sure.

mathanxiety Tue 04-Dec-12 04:55:29

I hope they will include Michael or Carol (maybe Caroline) in some way.

Mu1berries Tue 04-Dec-12 08:00:59

is Caroline royal enough? I like it and it's less crusty than victoria.

SnowyBeardySantaman Tue 04-Dec-12 08:04:36

Godzilla for a girl.

InkyPinkyBlinkyClyde for a boy.

I said it straight after the news broke that she was pregnant, and I'll say it again...

Pleaaaaase, if it's a girl, call her Queenie!

Queen Queenie has such a ring about it grin

sieglinde Tue 04-Dec-12 08:52:09

If it is twins, which is more than likely with hyperemesis, they must have matching names. If a boy, one of the names will have to be George.

Lots of consorts have been Caroline, though they haven't been wonderfully blessed.

How about Alexandra for a girl? Or Henrietta? Elizabeth and Mary are givens, I'm afraid.

But I adore the idea of Queenie... so wonderfully COMMON.

LaundryFairy Tue 04-Dec-12 09:01:04

No doubt about it - it simply HAS to be...

Princess Buttercup!

LaundryFairy Tue 04-Dec-12 09:01:57

And she will recognise her true love when he says "As you wish".

Weissdorn Tue 04-Dec-12 09:08:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bearandcub Tue 04-Dec-12 09:09:30

Rylan
(fingers crossed...)

hatsybatsy Tue 04-Dec-12 09:50:20

George Arthur Louis Charles

or

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana Victoria

I don't think they'd use Charlotte for a daughter, given that William's uncle, Earl Spencer named his daughter (born in July 2012) Charlotte.

SnowyBeardySantaman Tue 04-Dec-12 10:11:40

Thumbalina

sieglinde Tue 04-Dec-12 10:14:43

What about Frances instead of Diana? Diana just doesn't sound v. Windsor. Never did.

Bearandcub Tue 04-Dec-12 10:34:20

Alf
Gertie
Maud
Eric

Bearandcub Tue 04-Dec-12 10:41:29

Engelbert
Ethelred
Stacey
Patricia

Latara Tue 04-Dec-12 10:56:15

Elizabeth
Louisa
Sophia
Charlotte
Isabella
Victoria
Alice

(All pretty & royal for a girl)

William
Henry
Er..... please not George, Charles, Edward etc...

titchy Tue 04-Dec-12 11:10:58

Shardonnaiiiiiey?

curlypoo Tue 04-Dec-12 11:17:37

Alfie or Ruby?

EdithWeston Tue 04-Dec-12 11:30:58

If you go down to about 200th on list of succession to the Crown, there is a Xenia. Now that would make an interesting thread if it came to pass...

Ooh Edith, wouldn't that be fun wink

LittleDonkeyPloddingOnward Tue 04-Dec-12 13:47:32

I think it's going to be something such as Spencer for a boy (after his mum's surname) or maybe Diana as a middle name if it's a girl.
Although for all we know Kate could be thinking "I don't want a staid, boring Royal name. Do you think I can get away with calling it Chardonnay instead?!" grin

takataka Tue 04-Dec-12 14:09:14

Mohammed

takataka Tue 04-Dec-12 14:10:51

oh yes, and definitely Shardonnaiiiiiey for a girl titch

i think they should put it up for public vote grin

seeing as we'll be paying for its christening and upkeep

Mu1berries Tue 04-Dec-12 14:32:16

Xenia! lol. that's a good choice.

mathanxiety Tue 04-Dec-12 14:36:43

Mu1berries -- There has been at least one Caroline before, in the Georgian era. Wilhelmina Charlotte Caroline of Brandenburg-Ansbach, wife of George II, known as Caroline.

Absy Tue 04-Dec-12 14:36:55

Spudulike (girl)
Frogmella (boy)

Mu1berries Tue 04-Dec-12 14:37:54

oh good! i'd like to see Kate 'allowed' to consider her own family. I think she NEEDS to, to avoid accusations of being a womb with naice hair hmm re comments on other thread.

PuffPants Tue 04-Dec-12 17:23:26

King John! I'd love for the royals to take a punt on John again - its been a while since the Magna Carta.

badtime Tue 04-Dec-12 17:30:30

I think they should go for Stephen (II) or Richard (IV) for a boy. Haven't been any of them for a while.

mathanxiety Tue 04-Dec-12 17:32:13

There was a prince John fairly recently. He was a brother of George VI (born Albert). He had epilepsy and was kept out of sight sad in his own little house with his own household household during his childhood sad sad. He died in his early teens.

ReshapeWhileDashingThroTheSnow Tue 04-Dec-12 18:07:38

Oh, I remember seeing this very good Poliakoff drama about Prince John. sad

I don't think we can expect anything radical. My money would be on Alice for a girl and George or Arthur for a boy.

CheerfulYank Tue 04-Dec-12 18:09:57

Caroline is lovely! I vote for Caroline Elizabeth Diana Mary smile

PuffPants Tue 04-Dec-12 18:11:08

I don't know. I reckon William fancies himself as a bit of a reformer. We might get a name from way back or something brand new.

Bue Tue 04-Dec-12 18:22:21

I think, 'What would Kate name her baby if she were married to a London investment banker and still lived in the HC?', then I add in the royal constraints and go from there.

For a girl I think Alice Elizabeth Caroline Diana. Caroline has precedent and it can stand in for Carole, which let's face it, isn't very royal.

I'm more stuck on boys, since there are more monarchical names to choose from. Possibly George, Arthur or Albert. Kate seems like she might have an Edward if she were married to the investment banker, but I'm not sure if Prince Edward would preclude that.

mumzy Tue 04-Dec-12 18:29:35

Do Will and Kate get a free choice or is there some royal protocol they have to follow regarding the naming of a future monarch? I quite fancy Tyler-Shay for a boy and Tyger-Mai for a girl.

Surely it would have to be Elizabeth Diana for a girl? I expect the name Elizabeth has been reserved for William.

mumsywoo78 Tue 04-Dec-12 20:23:34

oliver (cromwell)
olivia

Merrin Tue 04-Dec-12 20:26:45

Elizabeth Georgiana Frances Mary Anne

Henry Phillip Charles Arthur John

LDNmummy Tue 04-Dec-12 20:27:53

Philip and/or Charles

Diana and/or Elizabeth

^I'm finding this rather difficult, I'm due in June, so as she's supposedily only 2 months gone, I'll have this DC a month before Kate has her's. Whatever she picks will shoot to the top of the baby name lists, if I accidently get the smae name it's likely there'll be 2-3 of the same named DC in their class. And they'll have a lifetime of "yes, like Prince/Princess X, no I wasn't named after them, I'm actually older."

<overthinking>

I hope she goes with Alice or Arthur, neither work with our surname. She can have those.^

This actually happened to me! A few months after I was born, Princess Margaret nicked my name to name her daughter. There were always at least 2 of us in every class and sometimes 3. In her wisdom, my mother decided that my middle name should be the same as my godmother's, ie Elizabeth ( and no the Queen is not my Godmother) which leaves people thinking my family were far more royalist that was actually the case!

LegArmpits Tue 04-Dec-12 20:46:01

Colin.

TheSecretSantaDNCOP Tue 04-Dec-12 21:30:21

Batman. For a boy or a girl.

Coconutter Tue 04-Dec-12 21:42:53

Alice Elizabeth Diana Caroline Margaret
Louis Charles Henry Michael

Coconutter Tue 04-Dec-12 21:43:59

Or Bob / Sharon.

lisalisa Tue 04-Dec-12 22:09:50

I thikn she will go for Thomas.

PhylisStein Tue 04-Dec-12 22:48:53

KONG - if its a boy

MrsEdinburgh Tue 04-Dec-12 23:05:58

Anastasia & Alexandra
or Amelia
Perhaps Georgina, Olga or Charlotte in there somewhere as middle names.

Boys names I'm guessing Peter, George, Ivan, Alexander or Louis.

yulebrynner Wed 05-Dec-12 00:10:39

Arthur or
Elizabeth

TuftyFinch Wed 05-Dec-12 00:13:13

Terry.
Or June.

kweggie Thu 06-Dec-12 10:40:57

PhylisStein, 'KONG' LOL!

olivertheoctopus Sun 07-Apr-13 22:56:21

Bloody baby is due almost exactly same time as me with DS3. Bet it's a girl, they call it Victoria (my name) and my DS has to suffer years of, ooh I wonder if he'll marry the Queen.

SquidgyMummy Wed 10-Apr-13 19:02:46

More speculation today on the name of the baby - Princess Alexandra.

I think it will be a girl and they will call it Charlotte - Queen Charlotte (eventually) nice ring to it, methinks

milkymocha Wed 10-Apr-13 19:05:54

Matilda Diana !

AuntieStella Thu 25-Apr-13 07:22:06
shiningstar2013 Sun 28-Apr-13 20:18:33

Girl - Alice Diana
Boy - James Henry

LadyHarrietdeSpook Wed 22-May-13 22:21:39

Victoria Elizabeth Diana Mary

meditrina Thu 20-Jun-13 06:58:24

Lovely that this thread has been running for so long!

The ideas on the names have stayed pretty much in the same 'range' over the months, haven't they?

meditrina Thu 20-Jun-13 07:22:15
scaevola Thu 20-Jun-13 18:40:44

I've checked the bookies odds today:

For a girl, the favourites are:

Alexandra (5/2), Charlotte (4/1), Elizabeth (5/1), Diana (6/1), Victoria (7/1) and Mary (10/1).

Seems that most betters are going for a girl, because the favourites on boys names are all at longer odds:

George (12/1), Charles, James, John, Louis, Phillip (all 25/1), Richard (28/1).

AuntieStella Fri 21-Jun-13 20:48:06

I wonder if any MNetters have had a flutter?

Here's another possible name thread - this one recommending 'Lego-land' confused

Snog Fri 21-Jun-13 20:51:27

Jane????
Princess Jane???

Phoebe47 Sat 22-Jun-13 21:13:42

I would like to see Amelia for a girl and Arthur for a boy. Really great names in my opinion. If they have to have middle names then Catherine for a girl and William for a boy and leave the rest of the family out of it. Bound to offend somebody if they choose names from only one branch of the family so best to just use their own as they both have very nice names.

AuntieStella Fri 05-Jul-13 15:01:04

Another thread.

But to add a theme from one of the 'chavvy' name threads that have been going in the last couple of days, as the Royal family has an Autumn, perhaps of a girl it could be Summer?

PipkinsPal Fri 05-Jul-13 15:04:21

They deffo will not call a son Louis because he would eventually be King Louis. You know, like the orang-utan from the Jungle Book. A girl will have Elizabeth as one of her names as Kate's middle name is Elizabeth.

Snog Sat 06-Jul-13 19:34:14

Princess Pippa

AuntieStella Sat 06-Jul-13 21:19:12

I had a Princess Pippa doll when I was small. She had ankle length hair and a long green dress shot through with silver.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 06-Jul-13 21:22:03

Angharred for a girl

Llewelyn for a boy.

AuntieStella Sun 07-Jul-13 10:57:49

Another new thread today!

It is backing Mary - which William Hill has at 14/1 and Marie at 50/1.

They also have Waynetta at 500/1!

AuntieStella Mon 08-Jul-13 12:59:33

Whilst looking to see if there was any respectably sourced news about the Cambridge delivery (and it appears there isn't - just wishful thinking in cyberspace), I saw this article in The Telegraph "Kate Middleton should go wild"

Top of the polls for names were London for a girl, and Kingsley for a boy confused

Loopylala7 Sun 14-Jul-13 07:47:11

I'm personally hoping for Tyler or Charmaine - Wouldn't Katie Hopkins just love that! wink

honey86 Wed 17-Jul-13 14:55:15

i had a dream last night that kate was in labour with a girl, contractions every few mins, and she was calling it kaylyn :/

ashlee1992 Wed 17-Jul-13 15:18:32

Charlotte Elizabeth Frances Mary
Kate's mother's/sister's middle name, The queen's name/Kate's middle name, Diana's middle name and the queen's second middle name.

Arthur Henry Michael Phillip
Arthur is just what I fancy, Henry for Harry, Michael for Kate's father and Phillip for HRH!

Anything else I've managed to rule out due to bad associations (or I'm just not willing to accept they'd choose a name I don't like)

And i've convinced myself they won't use Diana or they won't be allowed

I've spent way more time than I'd like to admit researching this...

meditrina Mon 22-Jul-13 11:03:54

Probably not long to go now...

meditrina Mon 22-Jul-13 21:03:11

I wonder how long before a name announcement.

Another new thread has popped up today

I'm hoping for Alexander, which wasn't in the bookies top few as listed above.

meditrina Wed 24-Jul-13 10:27:29

And another thread!

I think just about every damned name that ever there was must have been mentioned on at least one of the plethora of threads by now!

meditrina Wed 24-Jul-13 20:06:52

Speculation over. And all the names chosen were mentioned in the first few posts back at the time of the engagement announcement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now