Cats and Christmas trees

(22 Posts)
EnidColeslaw771 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:10:22

First year with 2 cats, they're 6 months old. Also only our second year in a place big enough to have a decent sized tree. I love Christmas trees, is it just a terrible idea to get one though? Will they climb it/eat it and get poisoned/knock it over/get pine needles in their paws??? Would a smaller fake one be better? I can't use my collection of glass decorations can i?

crayfish Mon 28-Nov-16 16:13:30

It really depends. I haven't had a tree for seven years because my cats utterly destroyed the last one within 15 minutes of it being up. They are incredibly boisterous and destructive bengals though, who love to climb though and basically rule the roost in our house! I know loads of friends with cats who have atree and no problems and I always had them with previous cats with no issues beyond the occasional swipe at a bauble!

My advice is put the tree up and see what happens, they might be fine or they might not but use your cheapest and crappest decorations until you know.

SweetChickadee Mon 28-Nov-16 16:16:22

We have a large fake tree. It does get a bit chewed on the lower branches, and was climbed a couple of times the year our younger cat was a kitten.

We put a screw in the wall and tie the tree to the wall with string grin

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 16:23:37

None of mine have ever attacked the tree. I may be alone in that experience, though. grin

NotAPuffin Mon 28-Nov-16 16:26:30

Our cats climbed ours when they were kittens. Just the artificial one, mind you, we had a real one as well and they didn't go near that. They used to chase each other up and down the fake one and sometimes sleep in it.

They never did it again after that first year. They do still de-bauble the bottom branches so we don't put fragile stuff down there, but we wouldn't anyway because of the kids.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:56:49

I've only had two cats from kittens, one tree climbed the first year (real tree) , the other one didn't. Other cats were acquired as adults and left it alone. I'm looking suspiciously at giant black blob at the moment though. Only got him in February so no tree experience to date, but he's into everything and has a bit of a "that's new, I'll have that" attitude to anything brought into the house. If he tries to climb, he'll probably snap the tree in half!!

Vinorosso74 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:08:35

Our current cat isn't too fussed by the tree (she is older) but we can't put tinsel or lametta on it as she tries to eat it.
When I was a kid we got a kitten not long before Xmas and a real tree. My dad couldn't get the tree straight then he realised the cat was up the tree. She spent a lot of time up that tree which was quite bald by Xmas day. We had a fake one after that.

MrsHathaway Mon 28-Nov-16 18:15:50

We were in your position last year.

We were advised that cats don't like those dried orange slices, so decorated the tree with them as well as our normal ornaments. They mostly left it alone although liked to sit on the branches away from the orange.

Littlemissindependent Mon 28-Nov-16 18:19:59

My cats destroy my tree every year grin without fail. Always had an artificial one and they're straight up the middle of it, in the branches, merrily knocking decs off left right and centre. Ok, so most mornings it needs a little, erm, readjustment, but it's only for a few weeks

claraschu Mon 28-Nov-16 18:21:49

None of our cats have ever done much damage to our large real trees. They go outside and are used to trees.

cozietoesie Mon 28-Nov-16 18:21:54

Has anybody ever tried 'wall trees'? smile

PuppyMonkey Mon 28-Nov-16 18:24:57

My cats aren't bothered about the Christmas tree either - even when I brought kitten home two weeks before Christmas three years ago, she couldn't give a shiny shite about decorated trees. grin

She still likes a random bauble on the floor of the conservatory mind.

chemenger Mon 28-Nov-16 18:25:12

I think you just have to try it and see what happens. I've had cats who destroyed a whole tree in a day but mostly they haven't been that interested. If you have precious breakable decorations I would hold back from putting them on the tree until you know it's safe.

YesItsMeIDontCare Mon 28-Nov-16 18:28:57

My old boy paid no attention to the Christmas tree in his entire 17 years.

My new boy is a nutter and were not risking it!

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 18:31:30

I swapped to a good quality fake one when cat 2 arrived as pine needles are really really bad for cats.

My first cat, cannot be arsed with the tree -she looks at it, kind of shrugs and resumes far more important things like sleeping on my favourite cushion and trying to work out how to get into the fridge to get the niace ham grin

Cat 2, obsessed. He wants to sit in it, under it, he chews it, he luffs it, well he would if I wasn't on alert. He is not a fan of water so I just flick a little bit at him and after a few flicks he stares it out for the rest of December, he literally sits with his nose nearly on it watching it but I can't leave him near it and spend all of December watching him like a hawk/removing him from near the tree.

Cat 3, is somewhere between the two - but much quicker and smaller and had to be removed a few times last year (her first Christmas, she was only 14 weeks old and tiny) I found her actually asleep in it. I purchased her a cat tree for Christmas and she decided that was less prickly.

Who knows what will happen this year smile but so far 10 years in and we're doing ok smile

Cat one cannot however be trusted with presents... she steals the bows grin appeared one year with one stuck on her

Yawnyawnallday Mon 28-Nov-16 18:49:06

Last year our new girl did the odd bit of batting but no climbing- fake tree btw. Cole and Marmalade suggest making a pile of boxes wrapped in Christmas paper with cat toys and paper chains as decorations. Look them up on YouTube. Make holes in the boxes for extra cat friendliness. Anticipate mayhem.

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 19:27:07

That's a fabulous idea!!

Although part of me is concnerned it will just pull my two that aren't that interested into full tree destruction mode grin

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 28-Nov-16 19:31:21

My old cats didn't care about the tree. We are going to put the tree in a corner with an anchor on both walls. And hope our 6 month old cats don't wreak too much havoc.

Maudlinmaud Mon 28-Nov-16 19:37:16

One of my cats has scraped the bark of a very nice artificial tree I have, it has a real trunk in the centre and she has used it as a scratching post. She is a proper madam.

dingit Mon 28-Nov-16 19:42:54

Mine is ok with the tree (maybe just a bit of bauble batting), but we can't put presents out as she is a paper shredder.

SparklesandBangs Mon 28-Nov-16 19:49:29

Previous cat was up the tree before it came out of the box, every year for the 6 she was with us. Now sadly gone but replaced with 2 six month old tearaways, who climb curtains and eat plants. May wait until the week before to put it up this year.

gamerchick Mon 28-Nov-16 19:50:34

Just don't use tinsel. That stuff must be a right pain in the arse for a vet to remove. Mine tried to eat it.. she also likes the paper from those party poppers hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now