Letting the kids out to play by themselves

(2 Posts)
Soon2bC Wed 23-Nov-16 13:04:30

I have 2 kittens, both neutered and nearly 5 months old.
little girl has been poorly and is now on the mend. when they reach 6 months i will probably start to take them out

I have had kittens before but nearly always spring babies who then went out in the summer with me into the garden. As they have been with me they have slowly been introduced to the outside world in fine weather.

this time there are 2 of them and i am wondering how to introduce them to the outside world.

i am thinking that if they go out supervised by us and weather is cold / wet they will be happy to come in with usual recall (treats and names) but i am concerned that they will try to wander further as they have each other to egg them on.

we have a cat flap which i will want to train them to use eventually too and am wondering if i should have it open a couple of times per day

what are your thoughts?

thecatneuterer Thu 24-Nov-16 09:12:34

I wouldn't let them out if they don't go out of the flap by themselves. I may demonstrate it to them and few times and leave it to them to work it out. If they go out through the flap they will know how to come in again.

It's hard to supervise cats going out. They can leg it over fences in the blink of an eye and that's that. At least if they know how the flap works then, when they are ready to return, they can get back in.

And in this weather they're not missing much outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now