Cat keeping one eye shut

(13 Posts)
PosiePootlePerkins Sat 19-Nov-16 10:01:57

This morning I have noticed that my cat is keeping her right eye almost completely shut. Vets? Give it a wipe with boiled water and see?

Brontebiscuits Sat 19-Nov-16 10:10:43

I don't think it's worth risking it with cats and their eyes - I would go to the vets. any discharge or redness that you can see? It could be an injury as well..

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 19-Nov-16 10:28:48

No discharge or redness and she is now opening it, maybe I will call the vets and see what they say.

problembottom Sat 19-Nov-16 15:10:00

Happened to me the other week, woke up and he looked like a pirate. In addition his eye was red and there was a discharge tho. Took him to the vet and he had a bacterial infection.

Your puss doesn't sound too bad so maybe just keep an eye (ahem) on it?

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 19-Nov-16 15:11:47

Bathe with cold tea.

Lanaorana1 Sat 19-Nov-16 15:14:26

Wipe with damp cotton wool and wait 24 hours. Mr C had this,, I vetted him and he just had a little virus that passed.

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 19-Nov-16 16:46:02

Thanks everyone, well I was the overprotective cat mum and took her to the vets, he put some dye in and had a look, nothing to see. She is now opening it almost normally so all's well.

Icequeen01 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:43:24

One of mine does this all the time. Walks around like one eyed Jack for about an hour and then suddenly opens it. Sometimes I gently prise it open and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. No gunk, no redness or irritation. It's usually just after he has woken up I've noticed. Perhaps it's just a lazy eye?

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 19-Nov-16 21:59:35

That's interesting Icequeen. Maybe it is a slight lazy eye. She had me worried for a bit but I won't be so concerned next time! smile

Icequeen01 Sun 20-Nov-16 14:42:16

They certainly give us some grey hairs don't they! You did the right thing and got her eyes checked so I definitely wouldn't worry.

lljkk Sun 20-Nov-16 15:18:54

mine do this periodically... half an eye for a day or so& then all well again. I would go if the eye had other problems or stayed shut for ... I dunno? 2-3 days I suppose.

twojues Sun 20-Nov-16 15:28:22

My cat was doing this for about 6 months. We took him to the vets several times and got some drops as vet thought it was just an infection. The drops cleared it up for a little while and then he would start keeping it half closed again.

Took him to the vets a couple of weeks ago and it appears that his lower eyelid was turning right in, so eyelashes rubbing on his eye.
He had an operation of Friday to sort this out. We now have to keep a very outdoor cat inside for 10 days wearing a cone. It looks so much better already, so hopefully this operation has sorted it out.

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 20-Nov-16 16:30:23

Ah your poor cat twojues that sounds awful. My cat also loves going outside, so I sympathise with the challenge of keeping yours in! Good luck and hope it clears up soon. Thanks everyone for your replies. She's right as rain today (although I'm still in trouble for taking her to the vets obviously wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now