Cat weeing in the house.

(13 Posts)
Waitingforsherlock Wed 16-Nov-16 19:19:53

Can anyone shed any light on this problem please? My female cat, (now approx 10 years old), has always done this but it is really driving me mad at the moment. She wees in the house, specifically the dog's beds every day. She is not shut in and has access to outside, in fact she comes in to wee on the beds. It isn't just a bit either, but looks like a full bladder's worth. I am washing the bedding on a daily basis and the dogs end up on old blankets rather than decent beds as she wrecks them and as they are big Labs I can't get the beds in the washing machine. Any ideas much appreciated.

Ohdearducks Wed 16-Nov-16 19:22:47

My cat does this when he's got a bladder infection, might worth a check at the vets?

Wolfiefan Wed 16-Nov-16 19:24:58

Any cats outside making her feel threatened?
Does she have a litter tray?
Do you clean the wee up using a special cleaner to break down the smell?
Is she on dry food?

cozietoesie Wed 16-Nov-16 19:25:22

Does she have a litter tray inside the house? smile

PlumsGalore Wed 16-Nov-16 19:28:00

Put a litter tray down.

sm40 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:30:02

My cat did this on the chair. Had a bladder problem. Try cat litter, and if not that go to vet.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:37:37

Well vets first.

Maybe she just hates the dog.

Waitingforsherlock Wed 16-Nov-16 20:12:24

Thanks all for such quick responses. She does have a brother cat, they are sometimes aggressive towards each other but not generally. She seems to get on ok with all the dogs. Her dad was a feral tomcat so I sometimes wonder if that is where the behaviour comes from.

I don't think it's a bladder problem, I think maybe more a territorial thing?

Will have to try a litter tray and see if that works.

Thanks everyone.

Wolfiefan Wed 16-Nov-16 20:41:10

Well if she doesn't have a litter tray and the weather is cold and wet outside then of course she will go in the house. confused
Multiple cat households should have multiple trays.

Waitingforsherlock Wed 16-Nov-16 20:51:01

I only used a litter tray when they were little. As they can come and go as they please I just assume that they will both wee outside.

A few years ago I discovered that she, ( pretty sure it wasn't her brother) had been repeatedly weeing on the spare bed- loads of patches of wee. I'm sure someone told me that sometimes the spaying process can go wrong and cause a female to mark like a male. Has anyone heard of that?

thecatneuterer Wed 16-Nov-16 21:05:34

No, it's not that. It's because you have taken away the litter trays. Put them back and that should solve the problem.

Waitingforsherlock Wed 16-Nov-16 23:38:26

Great. Thanks, I will go and buy one tomorrow and hope that works.

TheWayYouLookTonight Thu 17-Nov-16 16:34:47

Let us know if it works, OP. My cat wees outside in the summer quite happily but now its cold and rainy he is weeing in his litter tray most days. If his litter tray isn't clean or if evil mummy tried to switch to a cheaper brand of litter then he likes a good fabric surface like towels, cushions etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now