Radioactive thyroid treatment

(8 Posts)
ghostyslovesheets Fri 11-Nov-16 14:24:12

anyone cat had this?

My old Tortie (13) has an under active thyroid. She is awful for taking tablets - my hands are shredded - and while she initially put weight on and seemed happier she now gets very stressed and panics if you touch her jaw in a 'open wide' style - wont take it in food - eats round the pills.

Anyway vet has referred us for radioactive iodine treatment - costly but she has good insurance so will cost me about £350 and should cure her

Has anyone any experience of this?

Wolfiefan Fri 11-Nov-16 14:25:33

I'm so sorry. We had a cat with a thyroid issue. Just used pills. Think surgery was also a possibility. Don't they have to be sent away for a few weeks to have this treatment?

ghostyslovesheets Fri 11-Nov-16 14:26:26

yes she will be away for 14 days - she wont mind she'll be spoiled rotten! I will miss the grumpy old git though

Wolfiefan Fri 11-Nov-16 14:28:02

Haha. She might be less grumpy when she gets back. She could be feeling better and less stressed if she doesn't have to have pills. I'm sure it was longer away from home when I discussed it with our vet (but that was a while ago now.)

ghostyslovesheets Fri 11-Nov-16 14:31:44

yes she will probably be feeling lots better. It's 14 weeks in the radioactive ward then 2 weeks here in doors and relatively isolated

Wolfiefan Fri 11-Nov-16 14:33:27

14 weeks. Yes that sounds more like what the vet said. Sorry you initially said days.
My old girl went on to 19 so if it gives her happy years rather than stressed and sickening few months I would.

ghostyslovesheets Fri 11-Nov-16 14:35:28

ha no sorry that's a typo it IS 14 days (small kitten boy on lap distracting me)

ghostyslovesheets Fri 11-Nov-16 14:36:55

www.prideveterinarycentre.co.uk/dynamic_files/Information%20Sheets/Radioactive%20Iodine%20Treatment%20of%20Hyperthyroidism%20in%20Cats.pdf

this is where she is going

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now