Cat with diabetes and kidney disease

(10 Posts)
Tadpoletoatoad Tue 08-Nov-16 08:46:43

Good morning, does anyone have any experience with a newly diagnosed cat with diabetes with an existing kidney disease issue?
He was diagnosed with the kidney problem earlier this year. It isn't very progressed so only slightly high on the figures.
He has just been diagnosed with diabetes.
He's always been a fussy sod when it comes to food. He's spent all weekend at the vets getting stabilised on insulin. They said he ate his special kidney diet food. Well, he's not now he's home!
My question is what is more important. To make sure he eats anything because of the insulin/diabetes or that he sticks to the kidney diet food that he picks over at best? If it's the former then is there food that is better to entice him with?
This is all really new and confusing to me. I've been googling but so much conflicting 'advice'.
He is 15years old. TIA

Vinorosso74 Tue 08-Nov-16 10:30:45

I have a diabetic cat who is on a hypoallergenic diet so different scenario. She sometimes gets fussy about which food she prefers. One of our vets said yes ideally stick with one food but cats don't always work like that so we just have to with which she'll eat. Are there other kidney diet foods you could try him on? Am sure all the manufacturers must have one. It's worth having a chat with the vet or nurse.
Obviously it's important they have eaten enough before you give them the insulin to prevent hypos. If it's wet food you could try warming it so it smells stronger to entice him?

Littlemissindependent Tue 08-Nov-16 10:33:58

Sorry to hijack your thread, but may I ask what symptoms your cat displayed that led to him being tested for diabetes?

Tadpoletoatoad Tue 08-Nov-16 12:07:06

Vino - I'm back there on Thursday so will talk with them then. I'm just really scared to give him the insulin if he hasn't eaten. The vet said inject when he starts eating. But sometimes he will fool me into thinking he's going to eat lots and then shake a paw, flick the tail and that's it!
Mind you, the other cat thinks this is fabulous as he gets the leftovers!

Tadpoletoatoad Tue 08-Nov-16 12:10:03

Littlemiss - no worries re hijacking.
He ad started to go off all his food, even the stuff he shouldn't have for the kidney issue but he loved. He lost lots of weight rapidly and you could see he was burning his muscles away. The main thing was that although he's always drunk a considerable amount of water he started to double or eve triple the quantity. He would also get very wobbly on his legs. Some of that is to do with arthritis but he was very unsteady.

Littlemissindependent Tue 08-Nov-16 12:11:40

Thanks tadpole!

Tadpoletoatoad Tue 08-Nov-16 20:35:50

Bump

Vinorosso74 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:22:25

Has he eaten today at all? I think it's worth offering other food so at least he's eaten and you can give him the insulin safely and you can discuss on Thursday.

Tadpoletoatoad Tue 08-Nov-16 22:11:05

Yes, he's eaten his fab Sheba!

Vinorosso74 Tue 08-Nov-16 22:16:53

Typical cat smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now