Problem cat

(9 Posts)
Iamthecatsmother Sun 06-Nov-16 21:37:43

Hi, this is my friends cat problem. Does any one have any advice?

My friends have two cats, one male and one female. Another cat has recently moved into the area. It's a male cat, unneutered. It's started targeting my friends female cat, causing her some injuries. Really nasty. My friend feels it's trying to kill her cat.Although they have a cat flap that opens for the cats via microchip, this male cat has managed to get into her house (open window in the summer and I think maybe it followed her cat when it went in through the flap?) It's crapped on my friends bed and weed her house. It's generally becoming a real problem. It's done similar things to the neighbours cat, vets bill resulting £70. My friends have spoke to the owner, she laughed. The owner keeps it outside.

I've had cats all my life and my friend has asked me for advice. I said to speak to the vet to see what they could suggest, other that that I'm not sure what to suggest, any bright ideas?

cozietoesie Mon 07-Nov-16 00:12:45

Does she see Meancat in her garden? (I'm thinking a lightish water spray which wouldn't hurt the cat but might well discourage it.) I take it she's keeping the windows closed now?

RubbishMantra Mon 07-Nov-16 13:56:20

Or if you want your windows open, Flat Cats will stop the intruder coming in.

And, yes, a water pistol can be an effective deterrent.

chemenger Mon 07-Nov-16 14:33:33

Forget the light spray of water, get a megablaster water gun and let fly. It won't hurt it but might get your message across. (Or kidnap it and get in neutered. Probably illegal but morally right? Imo if the "owner" keeps it outside it is basically a stray that she is feeding, so it should be neutered. She probably won't even notice if it disappears for a day and comes back missing some bits.)

thecatneuterer Fri 11-Nov-16 00:48:20

I agree with Chemenger. I would kidnap it and neuter it. The owner would never notice.

User1234567891011 Fri 11-Nov-16 01:07:55

You cannot neuter someone else's cat, its illegal and morally wrong. The cat would need a cone to stop it biting at the stitches, it would need a place to recover after surgery. What if it got an infection? It would need anti-biotics. It would be shaved and the owner would notice.

Unfortunately this is what cats are like; they are territorial. You could put peppermint or something on the fence to try and keep it out of the garden.

Is the female cat spayed? If not that could be causing the aggression.
If the owners are so worried then the pair need to become house cats and only be let in the garden supervised.

thecatneuterer Fri 11-Nov-16 02:04:32

It's certainly not morally wrong. I suppose it may be technically illegal but impossible to prove and not a 'crime' any police would bother with.

It would though need to stay in for around three days to check it was properly healed. Cones are never given for castration and there aren't actually any stitches.

All the trap/neuter/returns I do are done this way without problem. I also neuter any probably 'owned' cats that come along that are unneutered. Morally speaking I feel that the cats' welfare comes before the owners' rights to act irresponsibly by not neutering.

thecatneuterer Fri 11-Nov-16 02:05:35

Oh and males aren't shaved either.

Janey50 Fri 11-Nov-16 02:11:51

I agree with chemenger. I wouldn't be giving it a light spray of water if it was terrorising my cats. It would be getting the full benefit of the garden hose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now