Cat doesn't respond to his name

(6 Posts)
Aloethere Sat 05-Nov-16 14:59:57

Our wonderful cat is nearly a year old now but he doesn't react when you say his name. I have never had a cat before that hasn't learnt it's name, I was just wondering how common this is? He has no problems whatsoever in hearing you when you say 'Dreamies' but his name, nope hmm

GardenGeek Sat 05-Nov-16 15:06:52

Haha maybe change his name to Dreamies wink

What is his name? Is it a difficult one? Do you just say it in a normal voice, or say it in a special 'cat tone'? Like 'Ooolllllllliiiiiiiii' (high pitched drawn out) rather than 'Oli' in flat normal voice.

Tbh he might just be ignoring you because cats are very clever; ours know their names but sometimes pretend they don't hear if its not convenient for them (like when they are sleeping somewhere we want them moved from, or sitting on dining table when about to serve food), or when they just want to go all 'cat' on us, and play hard to get (ie. attention on their terms).

Northernlurker Sat 05-Nov-16 15:09:59

He clearly doesn't like his name. Apologise to him and do better next time wink

PinkiePiesCupcakes Sat 05-Nov-16 15:15:10

Cats will react when and as they darned well choose. Just because he hasn't lifted his head or come to you doesn't mean he hasn't reacted, his reaction may well be thinking,
"Who the fuck do they think they are? Trying to summon me like I'm some kind of thrall? Nope. Nope. Nope."
Tomorrow you'll find your favourite dress has kitty claw marks in, that's his reaction. grin

My cat, when I say his name, looks at me to see if I have food, if I do, he comes, if I dont, he just sort of stares at me... Like he's flipping me the bird without moving..

Aren't cats great?

DurhamDurham Sat 05-Nov-16 15:15:24

Maybe it isn't his name?
Ask him what he prefers to be known as, it's only polite grin

Aloethere Sat 05-Nov-16 15:27:58

I had briefly considered changing his name to dreamies but I would get clawed if I said it and didn't actually have any to offer him!
I have tried saying his name in all manner of ways but nothing, not even a fuck you look in return. Seems the consensus is he either doesn't like his name or he just doesn't give a shit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now