Outdoor cats... litter tray?

(8 Posts)
Doodlekitty Sat 05-Nov-16 13:19:21

Hi.
My indoor cats have recently decided they want to be outdoor cats. They are loving the coming and going. They have totally stopped using their litter tray for poo but still wee in it. Im wondering if there is a way to get them to do everything outside so i no longer need the tray? Or is this just a bad idea?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 05-Nov-16 14:21:25

It's a bad idea. They'll wee on the least washable surface available.

pilates Wed 09-Nov-16 18:16:24

Bad idea.

They still need a litter tray.

StuntNun Wed 09-Nov-16 18:19:34

My cat was miaowing frantically at the door to be let in this afternoon. When she got in she darted to her litter tray and did the stinkiest poo imaginable. So I guess she prefers the safe and familiar place to relieve herself.

Yoghurty Thu 10-Nov-16 09:30:24

You can get outdoor weatherproof trays- zooplus sells a couple. Could be best of both worlds for you and your cats?

cozietoesie Thu 10-Nov-16 12:43:50

They might change their minds about pooing outside as the weather worsens and wherever they're going 'fills up' with smellies. (I assume that their indoor trays are 'self-'cleaning' (!grin)). I'd keep the trays around for a good time at least.

Wolfiefan Thu 10-Nov-16 12:45:17

Bad idea. They will need a tray. They should really be shut in overnight. You don't want all their mess in all your neighbour's gardens and if they're unwell and need to be kept in you don't want them refusing to use a litter tray.

cozietoesie Thu 10-Nov-16 12:57:49

Those are fair points.

When The Lodger moved in, he actually started to use an inside tray after raising himself on the streets. He clearly preferred it - and I didn't mind at all, it not only saving arguments with neighbours over poo in the rose beds but allowing me to keep a weather eye on his health etc. And he was the one who needed to use it after all.......

He was a young cat but he had a fairly strict curfew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now