Ageing ragdoll

(10 Posts)
Skala123 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:02:07

I have a 16 year old male ragdoll cat who stays indoors. He has always been a bit precious (we rescued him from previous owners who got a puppy who terrorised him) but recently he's even worse. He is always desperate for affection and despite a healthy appetite always begs for food. Along with that it seems like he has stopped grooming himself so his fur is getting really matted. I've heard that this can happen when they are ill (he has no other symptoms) or when they've just given up a bit.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

cozietoesie Thu 03-Nov-16 22:07:13

This 'stopping grooming' - has he been checked by the vet recently? (I was wondering about arthritis.)

My own old boy can no longer manage anything beyond his 'personal' grooming so I have to give him a hand by brush combing him and nipping nail tips. And he's a very sleek shorthair.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Nov-16 22:10:06

Here's some guidance on the topic. Check out the list of behaviour changes and see if any of them ring bells?

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:39:09

My last cat completely changed personality at age 17, having been aloof and anti-social she became very clingy. Had (gradually) grooming and jumping issues. Oddly, although she hated brushing, she tolerated clipping for her long haired mats that she never had when younger. A heated pad also seemed to help with mobility.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Nov-16 23:02:36

Heat seems to be a biggie. My own lad is - these days - on both meloxicam and supplementary meds as needed (he's most elderly and also has severe arthritis) but heat seems to act well for old bones. He actually has an electric blanket because he can't really curl up and likes to lie long - but a pad would be very good for most cats, I reckon. smile

Skala123 Fri 04-Nov-16 06:54:23

The heat thing is interesting as he sleeps in the kitchen over night (I have to shut him in there or he wakes us all up) and his bed is on the tiled kitchen floor which must be chilly. Might have to think about a blanket. Will look at that article too, thanks all

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 04-Nov-16 07:26:16

The eating plenty but begging for food could be an indicator of thyroid problems, which is quite common in older cats. Has he had an MOT at the vets recently?

Skala123 Fri 04-Nov-16 08:09:50

No I'll be honest he hasn't been to the vet in about 6 years!

Floralnomad Fri 04-Nov-16 08:21:51

My mum has a 15 yr old indoor Ragdoll , he's always been a 'sickly' boy having had 2 major bowel resections in a week at 16 weeks old . He grooms himself but my mum has always brushed him fairly regularly ,he also is a pain with food and likes to have several choices , the only thing he can be guaranteed to eat are prawns ( fussy about brand/quality) and fish fingers . The other thing is he does have to be kept warm , they have the heating on overnight and he also has a dimples heater next to his favourite bed .

Skala123 Fri 04-Nov-16 09:51:50

Thanks Floral that's all very familiar! My cat has also been very poorly over the years with stomach problems and he gets easily stressed (which causes a flare up). He is also very fussy and likes me to change his food from different brands/types often. Definitely going to think about how to keep him warmer overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now