Some advice please

(5 Posts)
Whowherewhywhat Wed 26-Oct-16 00:17:22

Our lovely westie is 13 and has been on and off incontinent (wee only) for about a year now, we have tried everything with vet all tests but nothing conclusive. She's been on doggie HRT for a few months which helped her in continence initially but it's back again now. She's also blind and basically just fiends her time in her basket or when she needs to go outside to the loo. She flies really like a fuss anymore and keeps herself to herself. We can't tell if she is in pain, I don't think do, but she doesn't seem to have much of a life anymore and we have been thinking whether it would be kinder to put her to sleep , anyone else been in this situation and have any advice?

PoppyPicklesPenguin Wed 26-Oct-16 00:35:17

Hi OP,

This little part of mumsnet is for cats, not that it really matters of course, I'm just thinking you might get more knowledgeable people about your westie and some specific doggie guidance in the doghouse part of mumsnet?

I am really so sorry to hear about your dog, I have been in this situation and it's so difficult. I think all the time they don't seem in pain, they are comfortable albeit a bit grumpy in their old age then being grumpy is ok. My eldest cat has her days, for a while we thought she may soon move on but took her to a new vet he gave her some steroids which we now do once a month and she's doing great. I don't know if dogs are different, cats have many a grumpy moment.

I really hope she is just being grumpy flowers

Whowherewhywhat Wed 26-Oct-16 20:20:26

Thanks Poppy, sorry this is of course litter tray !! Lol. Glad your cat is improving 👍

PoppyPicklesPenguin Tue 01-Nov-16 19:43:56

Was just checking up on the post, and wondering how your little doggie got on?

Whowherewhywhat Tue 01-Nov-16 20:30:51

Thanks Poppy that's really kind of you. We are pampering her as much as we can and enjoying as much as we can of her for the next couple of weeks then we will take her to the vet for one final check to see if there is anything we have missed that could make her better and if not we will discuss with the vet then and there whether it is kinder for her to be put to sleep or not.
We saw some old friends over the weekend and they were shocked to see her and that they think her time is near......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now