KITTENS!!!

(21 Posts)
molyroly Tue 25-Oct-16 16:58:40

I've just reserved two gorgeous 3 month old kittens at the shelter. A confident little boy and his shy sister. I just couldn't bear to leave the little girl behind.

My question to you all is, what should I do to prepare for their arrival? We've had cats before but always adults.

I'm so excited, I can't contain myself!

prokupatuskrakedatus Tue 25-Oct-16 17:41:54

Until the experts arrive:

Time, good nerves, something to take fotos with for me to see.

It is said to confine them to one room until they feel at home, but mine always took possession of the whole place at once.

And, of course, litter trays, food, water, comfy places to sleep, something to scratch and before I forget - time.

Have fun.

TobleroneBoo Tue 25-Oct-16 17:43:36

What an exciting time! We kept ours in one room ( just a bit of wood across the door, not door totally closed)

They hid for a bit so just expect that, let them explore / come to you when they are ready

molyroly Thu 27-Oct-16 19:00:40

Here they are!!!!! They've spend most of the afternoon chasing each other around their room. So so cute!

TobleroneBoo Thu 27-Oct-16 19:04:53

Beautiful!!

qazxc Thu 27-Oct-16 19:06:57

They are so lovely!!

FlowerOfTheValley Thu 27-Oct-16 19:13:30

Gorgeous!

Yes keep them in one room to start with. They will probably want a hidey hole initially so keep the cat box or something similar in the room.

Lots of toys too. Be aware they can get into the tiniest gaps.

Have lots of fun and cuddles and plenty more pictures please.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Thu 27-Oct-16 19:14:36

Oh my goodness they are gorgeous!

roseteapot101 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:15:34

o dear naughty tortie lol your in for fun they have that nickname for a reason mine was swinging on curtains till two.

Enjoy them but keep in mind kitten proof the house.Kittens like to chew wires and get stuck in small places.They also like to ingest small shiny objects and string.So be particularly careful with tinsel my way of keep mine off the tree was to get a real tree for Christmas .They hate the spikiness

wood litter is good less of a smell ,keep them on the food they were weaned onto.Moving them onto a new food has to be done slowly or they get runny tummy.Add small amounts of new food to old gradually taking away old over a week or two.If you wish to move them onto new food

get a toy wand playing with them for just 30mins a day will help burn off some of that energy

any other questions ask =)

prokupatuskrakedatus Fri 28-Oct-16 17:11:12

Oh, they are lovely!!!

And yes - they do chew wires. Sev's gone through four mobile chargers when he was a kitten.

molyroly Sat 29-Oct-16 12:23:24

Here's some more pictures. We've named them Monty (tortie) and Pop (calico). They are BOTH naughty. They managed to escape from the "nursery" room we set up for them. We found them behind the sofa.

Pop doesn't like being picked up but loves tummy scritches once she's there. Monty is enjoying cuddles and climbing all over us.

Thanks for the tips about wires- we've moved them all out of the way and looped the curtains up so no climbing yet!!!

Had a few litter related accidents. We started on wood litter but as soon as we swapped to the clay, Monty was in there digging away. Pop hasn't quite got the hang of it yet.

cozietoesie Sat 29-Oct-16 12:55:40

I tried out Oneago on wood pellet litter. It was not a success. grin

molyroly Sat 29-Oct-16 13:01:10

DH was very keen on the wooden pellets so bought a 9L sack. Not sure what we're going to do with it now I was proved right.

cozietoesie Sat 29-Oct-16 13:20:48

Have you a friend or nearby shelter that uses the stuff? They might be able to use it. smile

Lanaorana1 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:26:27

So very beautiful! The darling expressions of youthful enquiry! Exceptionally lovely kittens.

OP, they do look a little 'spirited' smile

Puffinity Sun 30-Oct-16 20:46:19

They are sooo cute!!! Good luck with them! I love kittens but not sure I could handle the stress and worry wrt impending destruction of the house grin

If the wood litter is Tesco I might be interested - whereabouts do you live? I know this is a long shot but I am a cheap skate smile

molyroly Sun 30-Oct-16 23:52:18

Puffinity sorry, we've already given it away to the animal shelter.

We've had a cuteness breakthrough- Both kitties have spent the day lounging on our laps and purring like crazy (in between chasing each other of course).

Here's Monty snoring away on my knee smile

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 31-Oct-16 05:18:03

Aaaah! Pop reminds me of my darling Zara as a baby. I suspect she will bond closely to her people but be wary of strangers. Monty looks like cute trouble!

MrsJamin Mon 31-Oct-16 06:27:59

Very cute! Our kittens didn't destroy too much.

LyndaNotLinda Mon 31-Oct-16 06:41:28

Kittens find wood pellet litter too heavy but you can go back to it when they're older.

Completely agree on the wires - my kittens chewed through several! And stole many Lego heads

They're gorgeous- always good to have two kittens smile

TheCakes Sat 05-Nov-16 08:17:21

My best buys have been wrestling toys and a little scrunchy tunnel. Ozzy likes to scrabble and scratch us, so we give him his ratty to play with and it saves our hands.
Same with the tunnel when he's diving all over our bare feet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now