When to let kitten out for the first time

(9 Posts)
loveisagirlnameddaisy Mon 24-Oct-16 09:55:31

Well, I say kitten but she's 13 weeks now and looking more like a teenager! We've had her since 8 weeks, she's settled brilliantly but I'm worried she's sometimes bored.

We've walked around the garden with her a few times and put her down on the decking to walk around once but I panicked and took her inside after a few minutes. My worry is that we have a big garden, it's not secure as we have some hedges. We also have decking which she could get underneath.

She hasn't been spayed yet as it's still too early so I'm wondering if I should keep her in till her op or can I let her out sooner. We don't have a cat flap sorted yet so it will be a case of letting her in and out.

LilaTheLion Mon 24-Oct-16 09:58:13

Mine are still in at 6mths. I'm nervous about letting them out! We live in the middle of nowhere, but foxes have been known to take cats. They've had the occasional foray on to the patio then I lure them back in with dreamies.

So I would say that's too little to go out, but that's just me and not official advice from anywhere.

PinkiePiesCupcakes Mon 24-Oct-16 09:59:18

After spaying and all vaccinations.
Some say 6 months, others say 12 months, I'd say it depends on the cat.
My boy is just over 6months and wanders a few feet from the back door, hasn't left our garden as yet. He enjoys it though.
Up until we let him out he was sitting in the windows mewing at the cats, which I took to mean he wanted out.

PinkiePiesCupcakes Mon 24-Oct-16 09:59:44

That should say mewing at the birds not the cats.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Mon 24-Oct-16 10:02:37

Wow, so a lot later than I thought. She's still so little and it does feel reckless letting her out into a very big garden where she could easily get lost or trapped. She's like my third baby!

Oldraver Mon 24-Oct-16 12:14:13

I had heard lots of current advice about keeping in till 6 months/after neutering. I don't think my previous cats had been kept in and did think it would be a bit difficult, but wasn't as difficult as I thought.

We did take Ernie out on an extending harness so he could have a good wander round the garden without getting into too much mischief. You do have to supervise them all the time on a harness though

NoIsAnAnswer Mon 24-Oct-16 12:17:34

6 months old.

Walk in the garden on a harness if you think she'd like it.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Mon 24-Oct-16 17:02:45

Ok, hadn't thought of a harness, will look into that.

Microwaste Mon 24-Oct-16 17:06:44

My kitten is going out whenever he likes now during the day, he's 16 weeks. He didn't go out until after jabs, and is very confident. We live rurally, so don't have traffic to worry about, and he figured out the cat flap by himself (or watching our other cat!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now