Heellllpppp

(19 Posts)
Allibear Fri 21-Oct-16 16:46:30

My cats wee smells and the smell is all over my flat and in our clothes! It's so bad that I can't even smell it anymore and people have to tell me, I'm a very clean person and, as you can imagine, this is very embarrassing but I also have a baby on the way and I'm so worried it'll affect her little lungs. I think the cats sometimes wee on our carpets/sofa but mostly it's just out of the litter tray (which we clean frequently) please tell me other people have had this, I absolutely adore my cats but this is ruining my life!! I've fallen out with my parents completely over it and I don't know what to do.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Oct-16 16:57:49

How many cats do you actually have? smile and are they all neutered?

Allibear Fri 21-Oct-16 17:00:59

We only have two females and no but they don't go outside. Do you think having them fixed would help? Thank you for your reply smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Oct-16 17:04:08

I think you'd notice it if it was that bad. I think they just don't like you having cats with a baby on the way.

Buy a covered tray, and a uv torch off eBay. Any wee will show up in a dark room when you shine the uv on it.

The baby will be fine.

Allibear Fri 21-Oct-16 17:07:01

Wow really? I didn't know I could do that! That may help immensely. And honestly they don't for some reason even though they've never had cats?! It's fucking infuriating. Thank you so much for your reply smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Oct-16 17:14:31

I would deffo get them neutered too, if only to stop them getting cancer there like dhs dog had.

It's about £50 to spay a cat, if you're receiving benefits you may qualify for subsidised costs from the PDSA.

I would have soooo much fun winding them up if they were my parents. Photos of them in the crib, wearing baby bonnets, road testing formula milk, referring to them as her big sisters. The possibilities are endless.

Desperatefucker Fri 21-Oct-16 17:21:12

Wow I thought it was more than that! I'll definitely get them done ASAP.
And aha I think I'll do that, any excuse to take a cute picture of my cats anyways grin how could you hate her lil face lol?!?

Desperatefucker Fri 21-Oct-16 17:22:56

Fuck my name changing blush

cozietoesie Fri 21-Oct-16 17:24:29

I'd be getting another tray at least. Many cats are funny about using a tray for peeing and pooing both - or a tray which another cat has used. (No matter how well they know each other.) Just one of those things.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Oct-16 17:25:07

Achh, you're OK here. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Oct-16 17:27:26

Well it varies by area, when we had ours castrated it was £40. Our relatives down south paid over a £100 the same month for castration.

Ring around a few vets and ask the question. Our vets is in a rough area and not expensive.

She is a gorgeous tortie, obviously an angel in cat form.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Oct-16 17:30:02

She may be gorgeous - which she is - but she has a 'glint' in those eyes to me. grin

Desperatefucker Fri 21-Oct-16 17:37:17

Yeah we do only have one tray so that's a good idea! Aha she's the softest cat ever wouldn't hurt a fly (literally she's so dopey!)
We live near London so I think it'll be pricey but worth it if it'll help!!

Desperatefucker Fri 21-Oct-16 17:42:36

They've always hated the cats and made mean side comments about it but it's never been this bad. He says he's 'very worried' about me and baby. Also flat is always clean, it's just the cats and presumably the smell, we've had a midwife round and she said it was okay though ? I don't know I'm only 19 maybe my dad is overprotective or thinks I can't do it.

I do feel suicidal but I love my baby already and I couldn't do ANYTHING to hurt her while she's inside me. I will talk to my GP though thanks smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Oct-16 17:42:53

www.celiahammond.org/index.php/faqs/neutering-information

If you don't qualify for reduced costs try a vet in a rough area or a vet slightly further afield.

thecatneuterer Fri 21-Oct-16 17:46:27

Unneutered indoor cats go psycho (official medical term grin).

The hormones run riot in their bodies and, when they are unable to mate, begin to affect their brains. The effects normally start to show at around the age of four, but can vary immensely. It can cause all sorts of things, including weeing in strange places.

However even if that isn't causing it, leaving them unneutered will almost certainly lead to aggression, as well as a desperation to get out which will lead them to throw themselves out of tenth floor windows for example.

I work in cat rescue and one of my first ever jobs was to 'rescue' a woman from her unneutered, four year old female flat cat that had turned 'psycho'.

It was Summer, and a heatwave, and when I got there the woman was wearing boots, a full length coat, a hat and gloves, all to protect herself from the cat that was launching attacks on her. She said to me 'the cat's in there' pointing to her bedroom. I expected her to come in with me to help me catch it, but instead she opened the door, pushed me inside, and slammed the door behind me grin. I managed to catch when it attacked me and I lifted it up with its teeth clamped round my finger and sort of swung it into a top loading carrier.

After being neutered and given a few tranquilisers the cat reverted back to her sweet, loving self and went home.

That was the first incident but I've seen it many times since.

Anyway, so that's why they must be neutered. That may well help. Also, if they are just missing the tray then I would also try a hooded tray that they have to physically walk inside and so can't really miss. And for any other trays I would put puppy training pads underneath so that if they do miss it doesn't matter.

And you definitely need two trays.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Oct-16 17:56:39

Gosh, TCN.

thecatneuterer Fri 21-Oct-16 18:04:14

Another story. A woman came into our clinic, with stitches and dressings on her face and arms having been released from hospital. She had really severe injuries. She came to say that they injuries had been caused by her cat which had suddenly attacked her and we had to take it away.

'Is it by any chance a four/five year old unneutered female indoor-only cat?' We enquired. 'How did you know?' She asked.

It took four of us in full safety gear to get her. When we got there the rest of the family barricaded themselves in the kitchen, too afraid to risk being anywhere near the cat. Again, after being neutered she once again became friendly and sweet and was rehomed with no problems.

Desperatefucker Fri 21-Oct-16 18:12:14

Wow !! I'll definitely get them done that's crazy! And so sad for the cats sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now