Cracked dry paw and general health advice

(5 Posts)
Tinkfromlovejoy Tue 11-Oct-16 16:42:18

Hoping for a bit of sensible advice.

My little cat is nearly two. She was found in a skip as a kitten and stayed at her rescue centre until she was 7 months old. Her health has never been great tbh. She has luxating patellas which have much improved with age, frequent bloody loose stools and one very dry cracked paw at the front which is making her limp.

The wonky back legs she will have to live with, there isn't a lot to be done with them and she copes very well. Surgery isn't recommended as she gets about fine and doesn't present with any pain.

The bloody stools are thought to be dietary, however she is terribly fussy and it's difficult to get her onto anything different. Any advice about good food to try would be appreciated.

The cracked, dry front paw seems to be her main issue. She is limping and licking it and won't let me have a look.

She is fed applaws dry biscuit, as much as she wants, and felix wet pouches (because they both love them) 2 per day between 2 cats. She will yell for more felix but I don't often give in.

We have hard floors which I clean with zoflora and don't let her on them until it's dry. I've decided to stop this and just use the steam mop in case the chemicals are causing it.

Her blankets are washed weekly in ordinary washing powder and softener.

She goes out for an hour or two per day only into our own garden.

Any advice appreciated. The vet is reasonably happy with her general health although she is on the thin side, however eats like a little pig smile

Tinkfromlovejoy Tue 11-Oct-16 16:57:44

Oh, probably should also say that she has lost lots of claws around her scratch post recently. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the limp. Tia.

Tinkletwinkle Fri 02-Dec-16 08:53:03

Although I didn't get a reply last time I just wanted to add to this for my own records.
Last night she had several sneezing fits, I've never heard her sneeze before.
She then got into a scrap with another of our cats, which is completely out of character. and then took to her bed and slept.
This morning she had crapped by the back door, tray left completely clean. It was soft but not diarrhoea, no blood present.
Since then, she's been the happiest, friendliest, loveliest little cat I could imagine. No signs of illness, eating, nipping out for a pee then darting back in to fuss over me. Just perfect, putting like a motor boat.
I'm at a bit of a loss with her, just glad she's alright today.

Tinkletwinkle Fri 02-Dec-16 08:55:10

*purring!
Gave away my name change there hmm

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 03-Dec-16 11:35:42

I think you can buy paw balm for dogs in pet shops. Might be worth asking if it's OK for cats too. If she keeps fiddling with it, a cone of shame may be required to give it a chance to heal. Given her health problems I take it she sees the vet regularl, so a professional has had a look at the paw?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now