Tips on helping cats settle in new home

(9 Posts)
als30 Sat 08-Oct-16 19:03:54

Just got 2 cats today both are female rescue cats under a year old
From what ive been told they both have already had a litter.
Ones hideing under the couch and the other is still hideing in her carrier. Ive put out wet and dry food some water and tray is all set up
Any tips on helping them settle

Allergictoironing Sun 09-Oct-16 09:03:10

I had this with my 2 rescues. Leave them be, go about your normal business and chat quietly so they get used to your voice. Try not to be too noisy in the room they are in, and above all don't use the vacuum cleaner in there (terrifies mine even now)! It could take them days to come out when there's anyone in the room but eventually they will get braver and start exploring.

Feliway can be quite good too to settle nervous new cats smile

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 09-Oct-16 09:12:10

Keep the tray well away from the food and water, and the water away from the food. Plug in some Feliway.

Apart from that it sounds like you're doing it right.

Rule of The Litter Tray - no new cat thread without photos. We can wait 'til they come out. 🙂

Shesgotelectricboobs Sun 09-Oct-16 09:28:10

Agree- no new cat thread without pictures.

I was in the same boat about a month ago. We took on this beauty (I'm allowed to say that now - I'm her slave)

For the first three days she his hnder iur tv cabinet and after that went behind a chair in our hallway. This is where she's made her safe space.

in the last 2 weeks she's started coming out to eat while we're sat nearby, she's played with toys. And sits on the window sill and the steps (only at night though during the day she hasn't braved coming out much)

We try to feed her on schedule and try to get as much contact without actually touching her while feeding as possible.

It will take time. Lots of time. And patience. You're doing a good thing.

Ours was found abandoned in a park. She'd been there for a few months with kittens (all dead now sad) hunting rabbits so is a bit feral and very wary of people. Which is understandable.

She meowed at me last night when I hadn't been quick enough to get her food out. And purred twice this week. she also watches and I swear grins when I empty the poop from her litter box. She knows we're well trained

als30 Sun 09-Oct-16 09:29:14

They came out still shy one explores but wont let you touch her the other is the opposite but its during the night that's hard one hisses at the other and meows during the night

als30 Sun 09-Oct-16 09:32:04

Avril and tassie

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 09-Oct-16 09:45:53

They're trying to tell you to let them sleep on your bed. Which will then become their bed. You might be allowed a small portion of it.

Beautiful puss cats though. They'll have you trained in no time.

Shesgotelectricboobs Sun 09-Oct-16 09:47:58

Beautiful kitty cats.

You'll be their slave in no time. grin

Shesgotelectricboobs Sun 09-Oct-16 09:50:27

Also we were told to keep things (food litter) the same as at the rescue centre.

We use wood pellet litter (the noisiest stuff known to man) and royal canin biscuits and felix pouches.

Keep things familiar so they feel a bit safer. i also put one of my (worn unwashed) tshirts in her nest/safe spot so she gets used to my smell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now