So, how did you stop the 430amwake up call?

(12 Posts)
EachandEveryone Wed 05-Oct-16 22:57:21

It's a very loving one. She's only 5 months it's gentle pawing followed by a kiss. Then the claws come out. This morning she removed my ear plugs. She sleeps in the kitchen from 11pm but I leave that door opens crack plus my bedroom door cos I worry about the carpet. Should I just leave the kitchen door rammed up until I wake up at 9/10?

Lanaorana1 Wed 05-Oct-16 23:08:32

So gifted re earplug genius!

I think cats in bed are the best bit, and I love a snuggle with fat tabby Mr C. I also think leaving a kitten overnight is a bit mean. But yes, my little cuddler does wake me up, as will yours. Ignore it. This is difficult, then painful, then you will bleed, but it is worth it.

The only thing that really stopped Mr C punching me awake was when I was so ill I wouldn't wake if a bomb went off. Since then he has been peaceful, mostly. Sometimes I get up and feed him as a treat. Then he snores his head off and fails to get me up for work.

Get bedsocks before your kit discovers the joy of toes. Just a friendly hint.

EachandEveryone Wed 05-Oct-16 23:22:44

Yes I have thought about using the timer. It's just I work shifts so get up at 545 if on days 430 is abit too early! I've just got her sleeping with me when I'm on nights. I don't know whether I should suffer it or not. It's normal for them isn't it?

Qwebec Thu 06-Oct-16 02:12:49

Well, present and previous cat where noisy around that time, we ignored and after 3 days it stopped as long as DP did not start enabeling that cat.
If I where you I would, close the door and ignore any attempt to get your attention. After a few days you should be fine. If you want the cat with you, maybe try shutting her out as soon as she wakes you up. It might take a little longuer for her to understand.
It is possible, but you need to be firm and consistent.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 06-Oct-16 06:27:24

She might settle down. One of mine used to wake me about 3 times a night by headbutting me and sitting on my head. But as she settled she rarely does it. Her sister will just climb on to the bed and settle down next to me with no fuss. If I stir she will come for a snuggle. I love it!

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 06-Oct-16 06:34:49

My cat stays in the lounge and kitchen. Much as I love my cat there's no way I'm getting woken up in the middle of the night. Provide plenty of cosy blankets and just ignore the cries. I know I know! But best to establish a routine sooner rather than later.

Ausernotanumber Thu 06-Oct-16 06:46:03

I have this with our rescue cat. She's just around 18months we have had her about a year and she weakens me every morning.

Spartak Thu 06-Oct-16 06:55:08

No amount of ignoring has worked for me. Nearly a year of it and she'll still wake me up every day around 6am.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 06-Oct-16 07:35:30

I lock mine in the utility with all the essentials to cat survival & a plush covered dog bed, cat beds don't have as much padding, and a hot water bottle on really cold nights.

I need my sleep.

BorpBorpBorp Thu 06-Oct-16 11:58:29

No cats in the bedroom, all night time noises ignored, right from the start. There's plenty of cosy places elsewhere, and it's nice to have one cat hair free room.

cozietoesie Thu 06-Oct-16 12:35:12

My Siamese have always been the same.

Into the house, then:

Litter tray - Check
Food station - Check
BED - Check and enter!

(Once they've bonded, they actually sleep through so no wake up calls in the wee small hours.)

The non-Siamese seem to instinctively know that they keep a low profile until I'm up and doing. Like Fluffy, I need my sleep. I wouldn't wake me up in the early hours. smile

froglou Thu 06-Oct-16 14:17:05

My partner wakes up at 5 and lets the cats out and I rarely do, if he doesn't wake up they will physically wake him up but not me. When he is away however, they leave me be until I naturally wake up about 7 and then let them out.
It's just routine they know he'll let them out early and know that I won't even when he's not there they know not to wake me up!
You need to tell them off when they wake you up otherwise they'll think it's ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now