Why has one cat now rejected the other when they used to be close?

(9 Posts)
Brontebiscuits Sun 18-Sep-16 12:37:14

I'm a bit sad about it . Adopted 2 female cats over a year and a half ago when they were 6 months old. They were not sisters but together since small kittens. Rescue said that dcat1 was the only other cat that dcat2 would tolerate (I guess this is very relevant now!). They were close up until a couple of months ago, at a guess. Would sleep together (not all the time but quite regularly), groom one another, dcat2 would follow dcat1 around outside. But dcat1 has now taken to hissing at and batting dcat2 if she comes anywhere near her or if she wants her to move off my knee or get out the way. Actually it's a very weird noise she's makes, almost like a series of small sneezes that turn into a hiss at the end confused.

Dcat1 is a tricky customer, very nervy and won't let the kids touch her. She likes me and formerly dcat2. That was it. There were signs of them becoming less close gradually to be honest, again on dcat1's side . Less and less time together and not mutual grooming as much but it's such a shame she's now being openly hostile towards dcat2. I think I know the answer in that there's not much to be done but wondered if anyone had any advice? Thanks.

Brontebiscuits Sun 18-Sep-16 12:38:56

Sorry at the start it should say that dcat2 is the only cat that dcat1 would tolerate!!

cozietoesie Sun 18-Sep-16 12:51:41

I take it that they're both neutered?

Brontebiscuits Sun 18-Sep-16 12:52:42

Yes they're both neutered.

EwanWhosearmy Sun 18-Sep-16 13:52:15

Have you taken cat 1 to the vet? If she's not feeling well she may not want the other cat near her. Tried Feliway?

Brontebiscuits Sun 18-Sep-16 13:59:50

They've both just had checkups and vaccinations last week. I've had feliway plugged in for months too! I really think that dcat1 is just a 'lone wolf' type of personality and this is how it will be from now on. Shame.

cozietoesie Sun 18-Sep-16 14:28:41

What's the weather been like during the 'period of hostilities'? And do they go outside?

cozietoesie Sun 18-Sep-16 14:30:06

Ah, sorry - I see that they do go out.

TheNoodlesIncident Mon 19-Sep-16 22:42:44

I had to rehome one of my two after hostilities broke out. The difference in the one I kept is amazing, now she is no longer stressed with her mum trying to drive her off, hissing at her, striking out if she came too close, etc.

Unfortunately it's very stressful for both cats, even the dominant one. She started to overgroom herself, although she didn't look as wretched as the other. Ultimately the kindest thing to both animals is to rehome one of them. If one can't tolerate other cats around, they will never be happy together. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now