Is four cats too many?

(30 Posts)
Toomanykittens Fri 16-Sep-16 19:13:09

I recently had to get my very much loved cat PTS. This left us with one old cat ( his litter brother) and I was worried that he would be lonely as he's never been on his own. In a moment of madness I went to the cat and dog home and brought home a kitten. Everyone adores her and oldcat after a day of spitting at her came round and mostly just ignores her. He has infact perked up quite a bit since she came and is thriving on her kitten food...

I then decided to push my luck a bit and get another kitten to keep her company, again this has worked well and they entertain each other whilst leaving oldcat to sleep. So far so good...

The problem I have is that I spent a lot of time looking for the second kitten and one of the ones I almost went for is still available, and I have this urge to get it too. Is this asking for trouble?

scottishgirlinfrance Fri 16-Sep-16 19:16:12

Nothing can be wrong with giving kittens loving homes. I have 3 my mum has 6 ... As long as you can afford to have him/her you should do it. You can never have too many furry babies smile

RedforDanger Fri 16-Sep-16 19:24:00

In a word, yes. Multiple studies have shown cats in multicat households show a LOT of low level stress signals. There's also a lot of subtle bullying which most owners don't notice. Cat's really do prefer being on their own most of the time. The apbc book of companion animal behaviour is very good if you're interested and explains it very well.

www.apbc.org.uk/shop/general

Don't ask me - I have 15 grin

DavidWainwrightsFeet Fri 16-Sep-16 19:29:31

Much as I love cats, I do think you should quit while you're ahead.

Toomanykittens Fri 16-Sep-16 19:31:41

Thanks scottish girl.He is in a cat rescue centre and I keep looking at his profile and thinking how much love we could give him. He is apparently very friendly with other cats (with everyone actually) and my thoughts were as kittens they would all bond better.

It's not even too many for a flight of stairs.

Really, four is nothing. If you can take another kitten out of a rescue then I think it's your duty to do so smile

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Fri 16-Sep-16 19:36:28

Four, it's the magic number🎶

Toomanykittens Fri 16-Sep-16 19:38:06

Red that's interesting, I will take a look at that. I had three cats at one point and they all got on great.

My theory is that I know they will have a loving home here, and they might not get that elsewhere. All three of these kittens were given up by their owners for one reason or another.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 16-Sep-16 19:45:20

I believe the correct ratio is one per windowsill.

Toomanykittens Fri 16-Sep-16 19:46:56

That picture is great! Think I'll contact the rescue centre and find out more information. The thing I can't understand is why people will pay £100 for a kitten off of an internet selling site when they could get one for cheaper from a refuge.

leaveittothediva Fri 16-Sep-16 19:48:51

Get the wee little kitten. It needs a home. All ours are rescues and we couldn't be without them. Seven is the most we've had at one time. They are great fun.

AnneElliott Fri 16-Sep-16 19:50:44

We have 4 op; 2 older ones and 2 young ones. It's the older two that hate each other's (sisters). The others get on great.

Toomanykittens Fri 16-Sep-16 19:55:46

They are so funny to watch. The first one we got is such a wee character! Kitten no2 despite being a month older follows her around like she's the bee's knees - she's a more gentle loving soul.

flumplet Fri 16-Sep-16 20:00:13

It depends on a lot, including the individual temperaments of the cats - I have 4 and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We're moving to a bigger house soon and hope that will ease the tensions somewhat.

I have 20 something (I lose count). There seems to be very little by way of tension and I'm often touched by the strong friendships and bonds that develop between particular cats.

In an ideal world I would have four, but in a world where there are just too many cats for the number of homes I feel I have to take the maximum number I possibly can.

So I really meant it when I said that if you can take another cat out of a rescue then you really should.

Toomanykittens Fri 16-Sep-16 20:08:14

Kitten no2 is lying on me right now purring like a train. That's got to be the best sound ever grin

Toomanykittens Fri 16-Sep-16 20:45:37

That's it. I'm doing it!!
Just wish I could do more sad

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 17-Sep-16 20:41:22

No such thing as too many kitties.
Thecat. They're gorgeous.

Toomanykittens Sat 17-Sep-16 22:15:29

I've left a message with the rescue centre. Fingers crossed they get in touch.

cozietoesie Sat 17-Sep-16 22:24:45

Well if I were a cat joining your household, TCN, I reckon I'd just think OMG and head for the food bowl before I was noticed.grin

I reckon that 1 to 2 might be difficult. (Or impossible if one of them is a crotchety Siamese.)

After that, I suspect it becomes easier.

Good luck, OP. smile

hollinhurst84 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:36:32

My friend does the same with horses. Except she buys the same colour ones so her husband doesn't notice. This works quite well now she has around 15 bay horses as you don't really notice one more grin

cozietoesie Sun 18-Sep-16 14:51:00

She went from 1 to 15 and he didn't notice? grin

hollinhurst84 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:56:28

Not quite... One to five was a bit tricky wink
She's always "just selling/swap/keeping for a friend/someones on holiday/that's the same horse I just changed the rug/it has got a white bit but it's covered with mud..."

cozietoesie Sun 18-Sep-16 14:58:01

I'm awestruck by her ability to contain the winter feed bill, nonetheless. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now