Fickle MCat!

(30 Posts)
RubbishMantra Fri 16-Sep-16 00:31:38

He began refusing Applaws dry, and would only eat wet. I like to leave dry down between wet meals, in case they want to snack. Little M's happy with the Applaws dry to snack on, he seems to prefer it to wet.

Have had good reports on Orijen, ordered a small bag, which he liked. I ordered a big bag, costing 45 quid <cries>, and he just looked at it in dizz-gust and stalked off! angry

There are now 4 different types of cat foods down, for 2 cats. The only wet food Little M will eat is Gourmet Cat Soup, (to ensure he's hydrated) he mainly eats Applaws dry. Animonda Rafiné Soupé went down well for a week or so... Then the hmm looks started.

Am I pandering too much and creating a rod for my own back?

cozietoesie Fri 16-Sep-16 00:35:37

Yes. grin

RubbishMantra Fri 16-Sep-16 00:36:23

*...To clarify, it was MCat who expressed his desire for Orijen. Litle M's happy with Applaws dry.

Broken1Girl Fri 16-Sep-16 00:40:11

Seconding the yes grin

RubbishMantra Fri 16-Sep-16 00:44:02

What do we do cozie? I suppose I'll have to take the attitude, "Get what you're given".

All of TCN's cats don't look malnourished, and her attitude is - this is your food, you all get the same, eat it or don't, you feline food whingers. grin

Toddlerteaplease Fri 16-Sep-16 09:16:22

3rding the yes. grinfeeling smug as my girls only get royal Canin Persian and never turn their nose up st it. (Not keen on wet food) gringrin

hollinhurst84 Fri 16-Sep-16 09:25:16

I do swap about a bit with flavours and between two types but I tend to be quite "if you're hungry, you'll eat it"
However Ollie thinks everything is disgusting unless it has exactly 3 dreamies placed on it and then it's delicious hmm

Toddlerteaplease Fri 16-Sep-16 11:03:28

Hollinhurst, Ollie needs to up
His game and turn his nose up until you put more dreemies on. 3 is nothing! I think Mcat wants to come and live with me. grin

cozietoesie Fri 16-Sep-16 11:32:37

Not at all, Toddler.

He can start to get real picky about the precise placing of those three Dreamies. It won't just be a casual scattering. grin

hollinhurst84 Fri 16-Sep-16 12:37:07

cozie has it in one
Has to be two cheese dreamies and one beef and a cuddle on hoomans knee and then he will eat it confusedconfused
He won't eat anything when I come home until he's had some love and a cuddle and a head bop hmm

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 16-Sep-16 12:41:51

We tried loads of different foods before settling on a mix of dry Iams,Sheba and Aldi version on Sheba. They all have to be fish flavoured. We also give raw beef,and fish and cooked chicken.

He was miserable before we got it right and wouldn't eat alternatives and as he's an outdoor cat we didn't want him going to well meaning neighbours for food!

cozietoesie Fri 16-Sep-16 13:51:19

I always reckon that Ollie has some Siamese in him - they have ritual down to an art form. grin

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:38:50

Put the dish outside. Asbo will eat things if I feed him in the garden.

hollinhurst84 Fri 16-Sep-16 15:18:11

Not funny cozie grin he actually woke me up at 4am because he was just SAT there blinking at me confused
The minute I woke up he started purring and patting my arm with his paw

cozietoesie Fri 16-Sep-16 15:22:17

Ah. None of my personal boys would dare to do that - even if they had the inclination. Nighttime is for sleeping at cozietowers! ( And I'm just mean and terrible if awakened before my time.) wink

hollinhurst84 Fri 16-Sep-16 15:58:00

He sleeps really well but occasionally just seems to have a need to blink at me adoringly. Very sweet but unnerving when I wake up with him licking my nose

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 16-Sep-16 16:00:05

Must be the full moon, Puccini was purring and patting this morning toohmm

Potentialmadcatlady Fri 16-Sep-16 16:29:42

I have kitten eating cat food...dog eating anyone's food...cats eating kitten food...I have officially given up and just let them eat whatever they like.....thankfully kitten came to me with about ten different types of food she was used to...my original cars think it's fab because they getting to try lots of different types of food they haven't tried before... Everyone is going to get fat.... Oh and the kitten will literally jump unto the middle of your plate to eat human food too.. She really needs to learn some manners ( as if!)

RubbishMantra Fri 16-Sep-16 16:39:00

Sometimes The Stare is enough to wake you up. Telepathy? grin

I've tried the scattering of Dreamies to no avail, Hollinhurst,... But... most of the Orijen had been snaffled in the night.

Toddler, they'd probably love to have a holiday with you! Esecially Little M, he loves meeting new people. I'm well jel that your's are happy to eat the food you give them, I have to guard Little M's wet food while he's eating it, even though MCat has a full bowl in the other room. When ddDH and MCat and I moved in together, he'd eat anything, because ddDH had been feeding him Go-Cat. Not his fault, he didn't know any better. He just got given a kitten for a birthday present, with no literature etc. on how to look after him.

MCat's become a bit of a flouncy diva. I thought pedigrees are supposed like that, but not in this case... little M is like a chilled out, Riverdancing pixie, who likes a drink from the toilet. He's been a bit flopped out today, because it's raining and really humid here, doesn't know what to do with himself.

cozietoesie Fri 16-Sep-16 16:54:50

Isn't MCat on a controlled intake anyway? (I had a vague memory that he had become a little ........full-figured?) wink

RubbishMantra Fri 16-Sep-16 16:54:53

My little Devon was like that at first Potential. The breeder told me he once ate a corner of a pizza take-away box, because it had pizza grease on it.

At a BBQ a couple of summers back, (still tiny) he was in heaven, sitting in the garden, smelling everything cooking, and trying to stand on everyone's plate. Then we found him, quietly munching on a raw sausage he'd managed to liberate from it's packaging.

RubbishMantra Fri 16-Sep-16 16:59:15

He was Cozie, but lost a lot of weight after we lost ddDH.

He looks the right weight to me now. His weight's always fluctuated.

LanaorAna1 Fri 16-Sep-16 21:28:45

I feel for you M. Have just tottered back from Tesco after Mr C rejected both flavours of Felix AGAIL. Yes, it is 845 on Fri night.

Time for the big guns - have you tried the Sheba Tray? Make sure MCat sees the different shape of packet and the shiny foil, that can work a treat.

Oh, God, the Night Stare - I catch Mr C sometimes scrutinising me with real interest and puzzlement. Feel a bit sorry for him having to stare at my oversized squashy pink face with its silly protruding nose while he is so very elegant to look at.

I PMed you btw.

cozietoesie Fri 16-Sep-16 22:45:17

Well Seniorboy would only eat the AGAIL Doubly Delicious pouches (4 meat flavours) - not even the ordinary AGAIL. He's entirely happy now on his Country Hunter (also 4 meat flavours.) My CC cries in a corner of the room every time I order it but Hey Ho.

LanaorAna1 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:57:01

I feel Doubly Delicious coming on, C. Will google country hunter.

On the subject of dodging imminent financial ruin, might I propose a trip to Aldi for all? I bought some of their gold-plated super-swank cat food for two quid the other week on the way back from hosp. Mr C hoovered the lot. Worth a go to avoid the workhouse, I say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now