Any tips for less cattery stress?

(6 Posts)
LazySusan11 Thu 15-Sep-16 12:34:45

My fur babies are going into a cattery for a week I am already stressed out hoping they'll be ok. We have tried a sitter but felt our cats were a bit neglected plus I worry that if anything happened no one would know. So for piece of mind we've chosen a lovely cattery we have visited the owner and the seen cats accommodation (which was at the time full and all cats were chilled out no meowing)

However boy cat likes the outdoors, some of the pens have access to an outside door being opened to give them fresh air without escaping which we have asked for but I'm still worried they'll be mega stressed for a week.

Is there anything I can do to keep them calm and keep them that way for the duration of their stay?

Thank you neurotic cat owner

cozietoesie Thu 15-Sep-16 14:19:17

They should be fine. smile Cats are great pragmatists in my experience so you might receive some grumbling or sulking as soon as they can do it, but they're likely to settle down fine at the actual cattery.

LazySusan11 Thu 15-Sep-16 14:34:54

That makes me feel a little better Cozie, the last time we put them in a cattery (same place we rescued them from) Boy cat had been sick had lost some weight was very sorry for himself when we collected him which made me vow not to put them in another cattery. However this place we have found the owner is lovely and absolutely adores cats they get plenty of affection and groomed each day. So I really hope he doesn't go on hunger strike and stress out.

cozietoesie Thu 15-Sep-16 14:42:11

In my own experience, the thing that brings them most comfort - including re vet visits - is to revert almost immediately to your normal routine. (Eg No Fussing, Treats etc when you get back.) They seem to relish the security of 'normalcy'.

LazySusan11 Thu 15-Sep-16 14:46:39

I once had an ex who once we had returned off our holiday and collected his cat it promptly shit in his shoe! Mine don't really sulk but I hate to think they were unhappy whilst I am sunning myself. note to self, do not go on holiday again Thanks for the reassurance.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 16-Sep-16 21:16:30

Wine.

They'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now