Food Advice

(20 Posts)
FuzzyWizard Sat 10-Sep-16 14:45:29

We adopted our cat from a shelter about a month ago and were told that she was being fed on Whiskas food so that is what we bought for her. We're still working our way through a big bag of biscuits (it'll take forever I think) but have almost finished the pouches that we bought. She doesn't seem fussy but does go wild for the biscuits which I know are not that great for her. I want to wean her onto a better quality food so have been down this morning to Pets at Home and bought a wide selection of different wet foods for her to sample and some James Wellbeloved biscuits to start mixing in with her Whiskas fix.
I've picked up a couple of pouches or trays from Applaws, Hi Life, Wellness and Wainwrights. Are there any other brands that I should be looking out for? I don't want to spend more than I need to but do want her to have a good diet if that makes sense. I was shock to see that the Whiskas pouches only contain about 3% of the meat advertised on the front of the packet. Once I've found what she likes I'll probably order larger quantities online. Are there any other online pet retailers like Zooplus? I've noticed that they don't seem to stock the Hi Life, Wainwrights or Wellness ones although they do seem to be relatively good value for the Applaws and James Wellbeloved.

hollinhurst84 Sat 10-Sep-16 14:46:21

Mine likes meowing heads and natures menu smile he liked applaws but went off it after I stocked up hmm

thecatneuterer Sat 10-Sep-16 14:48:35

I feed all mine Butchers Classic. It's cereal free and vet recommended. And it's cheap. If your cat likes it you're onto a winner. However if she's being introduced to Applaws and such she may well turn her nose up at such bog standard food.

FuzzyWizard Sat 10-Sep-16 14:48:50

Typical cat! Mine has shown no signs of being a fusspot yet but she's probably just waiting until I've bulk bought the expensive stuff. grin

FuzzyWizard Sat 10-Sep-16 14:52:20

I didn't see butchers in P@H today catneuterer I've seen it recommended on here before and as I said I don't want to spend more than I have to but do want her to eat well so did keep an eye out for it. They didn't have any in my local tesco either. I'll definitely try her on it if I can find it. Where do you buy yours from?

hollinhurst84 Sat 10-Sep-16 14:52:21

Weirdly when I had an op, my dad (doesn't do cats at all) went to the shop for milk for me and came back with cat food "it looked hungry" hmm
It was butchers classic - he wolfed the entire tin blush

thecatneuterer Sat 10-Sep-16 14:54:42

I buy mine in Sainsburys, where it's currently £5.10 for 12 tins. My Tesco also sell it. It's more expensive in Pets at Home.

FuzzyWizard Sat 10-Sep-16 14:56:40

I'll try Sainsbury's. We do have a reasonable sized one not too far away. My local Tesco is very close but quite small so maybe I just need to try a bigger store.

FuzzyWizard Sat 10-Sep-16 17:41:54

The first pouch of Applaws has just been inhaled and now she is sitting meowing for more. I was struck by the fact that when it came out of the pouch it looked like actual food. It was quite obviously shredded chicken. I'll see how the other stuff goes down over the next week or so.

hollinhurst84 Sat 10-Sep-16 17:53:23

I liked that it looked like recognisable food! Some of the applaws food is complementary and some is complete so just check. I think the pate type are the only complete ones

FuzzyWizard Sat 10-Sep-16 18:30:10

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't noticed that. I've now had a look at the other brands and they have minerals and supplements like taurine. Does that mean they are complete? I can't see the word complete on the label but they appear to have nutritional additives.

hollinhurst84 Sat 10-Sep-16 18:41:48

I'm pretty sure the others are all complete. If you google them usually it will say something like "a complete food for cats"

FuzzyWizard Sat 10-Sep-16 18:46:07

Thanks! Looking online they say things like "all the nutrients your cat needs" so they are complete. smile

hollinhurst84 Sat 10-Sep-16 18:51:07

Fab! I just make sure I feed mostly complete and chuck the odd "treat" in

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 11-Sep-16 15:32:04

I wouldn't suggest stocking up too much - mine loved Natures Menu until I bought 96 pouches...

He's now only eating his James Wellbeloved dry food so I'm leaving him on that for a while. I prefer him to have a mix of wet and dry but there's no point putting down a pouch every night and it going to waste!

FuzzyWizard Sun 11-Sep-16 16:00:07

That is a good point. I had a look on Amazon and it looks like I can get pretty good value buying around 36 pouches at a time. I'm not going to go too mad as I know from previous experience that cats can be fussy.

hollinhurst84 Sun 11-Sep-16 16:12:57

Stable cat who is a voracious hunter eats Ollie's rejected food. I think she's happy not to have to hunt something grin
I gave her a pouch and she batted me for not getting it out fast enough and ate the entire thing in less than 10 seconds. She's my cat dustbin grin

cozietoesie Sun 11-Sep-16 16:57:14

But Ollie's 'rejects' are still excellent food, if I recall? wink

hollinhurst84 Sun 11-Sep-16 17:08:25

Oh yes. Apart from some bizarre concoction of tuna set in egg custard confused which she adored. And the lick stuff that everyone on here recommended and he hated grin
Here she is eyeing up which bit of me to attack today

RubbishMantra Sun 11-Sep-16 19:34:10

Animonda Carny from Zooplus is good. No cereals, and a complete food, and inexpensive. Comes in loads of flavours too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now