Advice re Feliway and does it work?

(8 Posts)
Sunflower6 Wed 07-Sep-16 22:12:21

I have a 7 year old neutered Tom cat and have just adopted a 1 year old girl cat. She is settling okay after a week but does like to scratch the sofa where my boy cat has previously scratched them and hisses at my boy cat if she sees him.

I am considering buying the Feliway spray to see if it helps with the scratching and Feliway diffuser for calm her but not sure if I need Feliway friends or the original diffuser. Can anyone advise and does Feliway help?

Toddlerteaplease Thu 08-Sep-16 06:47:20

I used it when I got my two and again to try and stop one of them weeing on the sofa. I didn't find it worked at all. They both still scratch the sofa as well. I had the spray and the diffuser and neither had any effect.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 08-Sep-16 06:49:57

Zylkene calms cats down. You can buy it off amazon or pets at home.

katkas Thu 08-Sep-16 06:55:15

It worked very well for my cat when he got cystitis due to stress (I dared to leave him with someone he didn't know for three whole days hmm). He's lovely, but very nervous cat. Used the spray to help him through half hour journey to a cattery, didn't work at all, he was still panting and drooling. He travels really bad, not sure whether feliway can really help with motion sickness. Worked well for the stress issue though

Toddlerteaplease Thu 08-Sep-16 10:35:00

Zykelene is fab!

cozietoesie Thu 08-Sep-16 14:53:28

I think it can work to get cats over a 'stress hump' - I don't, personally, think it works long term if there's a problem they can't adjust to.

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 08-Sep-16 15:35:51

I use it. I do think it helped my cats when I introduced them, but not sure if it does anything now tbh.

TheNoodlesIncident Fri 09-Sep-16 00:09:36

It didn't do anything for our two and I ended up having to rehome one of them. I had the diffusers, one upstairs and one down. No difference whatever, so a waste of money for us.

Zylkene was recommended but I don't think it would have had enough impact to have sorted out the cats' differences. To be fair to it, I didn't actually try it so I couldn't say if it would have worked or not. Older cat just too territorial/intolerant of other cats, and younger cat was ill with the stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now