Would it be possible for my lovely boy to adapt to living in a flat?

(8 Posts)
AntideluvianCat Tue 06-Sep-16 22:36:32

I have a thread in chat about leaving my husband and the ensuing accommodation dilemma (won't bore you with the details here).
The ideal scenario is that we stay in the family house, but that might not be possible.
I have somewhere to move to with DD, but it's a first floor flat, and I just don't think it's going to be suitable for my lovely ginger boy sad
There is access onto some rooftops at the back, which I think are uninterrupted for some way back. The front of the flat overlooks the high street, so obviously I don't want him going anywhere near there, but I think it would be quite tricky for him to access it from the back of the property. Behind the building, it's densely built little streets and alleyways, and the next busy road is some distance away.
It's been suggested that as he's only two, he won't find it too hard to adapt to such a new environment, but at the moment, he's used to spending all day out in the garden and lording it over all the other local cats.
He follows me up and down out quiet street, but always stops and turns back when we get to the main road.
I don't think I can face moving without my daft kitty. But the only alternative is a big scuffle over the house with STBX.
Any suggestions?
Thank you smile

FuzzyWizard Wed 07-Sep-16 07:42:39

He's beautiful. There is advice out them from PETA, the American Humane Society and the ASPCA on transitioning cats to living indoors. If staying in your house isn't a realistic proposition then all you can really do is move and do everything you can to settle him into life indoors. Plenty of places to climb up high, lots of toys and actively playing with him every day. As long as he has sufficient stimulation he likely live a long and happy life indoors. Is he leash trainable? Could you take him to potter about outdoors occasionally somewhere close to the new flat?

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 07-Sep-16 07:47:16

He will adapt. He can have a roof top jungle out there! Just make sure he's home and shut in at night.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 07-Sep-16 08:12:32

I may have a similar dilemma coming up. I was looking at a maisonette type place with own front door or a ground floor flat, so at least Cat can go in and out of the window, not somewhere with immaculate gardens though as the other residences might not take too kindly to poo corner.

AntideluvianCat Wed 07-Sep-16 08:13:29

Oh thank you for giving me hope smile
The alternative is that he stays behind with H (unthinkable).

bikiniandboardshorts Wed 07-Sep-16 19:38:38

I moved out of a big house with garden, to a studio apartment. There was no way I was leaving my girl with STBXH, especially as she didn't like him and adores me.
A year or so later, we are doing just great. She has a window hammock, where she spends a lot of time dozing in the sun. She also likes sitting on the kitchen table and chuntering at pigeons. Your cat will be fine smile

www.amazon.com/Window-Mounted-Hammock-Resting-mounted/dp/B00FDU5JO4/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473273445&sr=1-8&keywords=cat+hammock

www.amazon.com/Singyep%C2%AE-Shelves-Mounted-Climbing-Sleeping/dp/B01DDDZWSU/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473273466&sr=1-3&keywords=cat+shelf

AntideluvianCat Wed 07-Sep-16 21:39:30

Oh I love those shelves
Like a cat version of 1950s style flying china ducks on the wall

RubbishMantra Wed 07-Sep-16 23:21:49

Alternative is to buy deep shelves, (at least 1' with good strong brackets), attach carpet off-cuts to them, and arrange them like flying ducks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now