Best flea and worm treatment?

(10 Posts)
HairyMaclary Sun 04-Sep-16 21:51:00

We have had our beautiful rescue cats nearly 3 weeks now, I know they were de wormed and flea'd the day we collected them but I think the recommendation is to do it monthly is that correct?

If so what is the best treatment and how easy is not to dose? I have strong memories of wrapping my childhood cats in a towel to get them to take a tablet, not looking forward to doing that monthly for each cat! Is there an easier way?

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 04-Sep-16 22:35:59

Hi, I have had some good advice on here re flea treatment, as we had a flea problem when our old girl passed away.
Frontline spot on treatment (for fleas) is supposed to be losing its effectiveness in some areas so I have avoided this. Broadline is a combined flea and worm spot on treatment but the flea element is the same active ingredient as Frontline, so again I have avoided this.
We are using advocate, a monthly spot on for fleas, plus a six monthly spot on wormer Drontal I think it is called.
So far the advocate is working a treat, the fleas have been jumping on her but then dying, so despite me stressing (on here!) that I could see fleas, the cat was doing her job in killing them.
Another top tip, if you can afford it, is a six monthly injection called Program, which means that any female flea biting the cat cannot lay eggs. So the whole flea life cycle is interrupted. We are doing this as I cannot cope with the little buggers! Cost around £30 and worth every penny in my opinion!
So far so good. Hope that helps a bit. There are many more qualified/experienced than me on this forum but thought my recent experience might help! Good luck!

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 04-Sep-16 22:37:28

PS congrats on the new arrivals!
PPS my vets does a monthly payment plan which includes all vaccinations, flea treatment, worming, and health check, might be worth looking into.

longdiling Sun 04-Sep-16 22:38:07

We use Stronghold and Drontal. The stronghold has to be vet prescribed but I've found it to be very effective (and expensive unfortunately).

gamerchick Sun 04-Sep-16 22:40:36

Advocate, covers ticks as well as fleas and worms. Along with the every 3 month one mentioned up thread.

I wouldn't bother with the flea contraceptive, still means everyone's getting bitten for months.

roseteapot101 Sun 04-Sep-16 23:06:20

i use advantage for monthly flea treatment

www.animeddirect.co.uk/advantage-40-for-small-cats-small-dogs-and-pet-rabbits-under-4kg-pack-of-4-pipettes.html

drontal is every 3 months.I crush the tablet then mix in a little cup with tuna in mineral water .Suck up with a oral syringe rinse cup with more tuna water and suck up again to get remainder of the residue .I then wrap cat in towel and either they lap it up or its a few quick quirts at the back of the mouth .makes it so much easier

Vinorosso74 Sun 04-Sep-16 23:41:59

We use Stronghold monthly to prevent fleas. It's not the cheapest but it works. Milbemax for worms every 3 months. We get both from our vets.
One thing, apparently it's best for the cat not to give both at the same time so a week gap between.

PosiePootlePerkins Mon 05-Sep-16 06:33:29

I wouldn't recommend the Program as the only approach gamer but we are using it as a 3 pronged attack! Spot on treatment, flea contraceptive, and spraying the house. So far no one has been bitten for a few weeks now, which is excellent. I just thought it was worth mentioning if anyone has been having a flea problem, I didn't even know about it until someone on here suggested it.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 05-Sep-16 08:41:06

We use Advocate monthly for fleas and worms and Profender spot on every three months for tapeworm. Neither of them cover ticks so we just keep our fingers crossed there!

SoupDragon Mon 05-Sep-16 08:46:46

I use Advocate and some spot-on wormer for the cat, I'm not sure what.

The dog has advocate plus a Seresto (sp?) collage which takes care of th ticks. He hasn't had a single one in about 3 years since I started using it whereas he used to get several each season. Interestingoy my cat hasn't had ticks - I guess SoupDogg picks them up in the woods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now