another yowling kitten question- help!

(9 Posts)
sappak Sat 03-Sep-16 12:08:48

cat psychologists - help, please! We got a ragdoll boy last Monday who has frequent periods of intense, loud, persistent meowing- more like yowling. He's 16 weeks and in many ways seems to be adjusting really well. He walks around confidently, tail up, doesn't hide; he plays and cuddles nicely;p he even sleeps well (thank god) in a small spare room we've set up for him as a home base. But the yowling! He'll do it when we're in the same room-- just walk around and yowl at the corners, yowl at the furniture. He did it so intensely when I put on a yoga dvd today that I had to stop! It's driving me completely nuts.

We're playing with him a lot- he'd been playing all morning with me/DH/kids before I tried to do the yoga. I understand he's missing his mom and siblings. Could that be it- is he just looking for them? Or is he just demanding attention 24/7? Will it last??? I'm sort of losing the plot here.

cozietoesie Sat 03-Sep-16 13:10:25

He's wanting attention, it sounds like. wink

How do you talk to him?

cozietoesie Sat 03-Sep-16 13:12:14

He's a gorgeous wee chap by the way. smile

sappak Sat 03-Sep-16 13:20:10

He's delicious! But also driving me insane! We talk to him when he yowls- we'll call to him if he's in another room so he know where we are, and if we're in the same room, someone will try to respond to him, pay some attention (not always possible immediately in a house with two kidssmile DH thinks we should maybe ignore him more so he doesn't get the idea that the yowling works? I wrote to the breeder this morning who just answered to say that he thought it was the transition, but also that he had been 'spoiled and communicative' before, too....But this isn't just 'talking'- it's yelling.

RubbishMantra Sat 03-Sep-16 15:04:48

He's gorgeous!

At 16 weeks, his hormones could be kicking in, if he hasn't been neutered, and might be able to smell a lady cat outside willing to teach him a thing or two.

Mine started humping stuff at his age.

sappak Sat 03-Sep-16 15:33:49

Rubbishmantra- oy! He's not neutered yet, no- we were planning to wait until 5-6 months. He's such a little guy!

FuzzyWizard Sat 03-Sep-16 16:04:19

It's now recommended that you neuter at around 4 months so he's about the right age for it.

ocelot41 Sat 03-Sep-16 19:13:11

Watching with interest as had been thinking of getting a Raggie

isamonster Sat 03-Sep-16 22:42:31

I used to play fetch with my birman kittens late into the night - similar temperament I suspect... Oh and grape football too until I found out grapes were bad for cats. I bred my cat twice. All this talk of yowling is bringing it back to me. At one point I had five kittens following me everywhere... They are just chatty and honestly, when it stopped, I worried about them. Even vetted them to see if they were OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now