Kitten won't stop crying... Screaming really

(41 Posts)
OhForFrigSake Wed 31-Aug-16 23:57:27

As the title says really. Picked up my lovely 12 week old Russian Blue kitten on Sunday. He literally has not stopped yowling since. The only time he stops is if he's asleep or eating. I know he's probably missing his mum and litter mates but the sound is really starting to make me feel anxious (its having a similar effect on me as my newborns did when they were crying!) as it goes on for hours and hours. He's a lovely little thing but I feel sad that I can't help him settle in. He seems utterly bewildered and sad and is not helping my own depression/ anxiety. Starting to wonder if I've massively ballsed up getting him in the first place.

OhForFrigSake Wed 31-Aug-16 23:59:26

I wish I could post the video I've taken of his meowing - even my friend who rescues cats (and at one point had 14!) says shes never heard anything like it from a kitten. It's deafening.

Dickoncrutches Thu 01-Sep-16 00:00:52

Do you have anything with his mother's smell on it? Have you tried the ticking clock/hot water bottle trick?

Is there any physical or health issue you think it could be?

This is something that will improve with time once he settles but it is hard to listen to!

cozietoesie Thu 01-Sep-16 10:33:34

Where does he sleep?

isamonster Thu 01-Sep-16 11:20:13

Are you at home all the time with him? Is he hiding/eating and drinking OK/using litter/seeming confident in other ways? Does he have the run of your home? Can you maybe talk to the breeder for advice?

Is this your first kitten? It is work at the start but can be so fun too. Have you got toys for him? Even throwing a scrunched up ball of paper is a toy to a kitten or waving a long piece of grass. If you're not doing it already, try and get him playing. They are still very little at 12 weeks. Some breeders don't let them leave till they're 14 weeks. They need your love and your patience at this age and also a firm hand. What he'll give you in return will be so worth it in the long run.

Soubriquet Thu 01-Sep-16 11:23:17

Like you said he is probably missing mum and siblings.

Try and give him as much cuddles as you can. Have you got anything that smells of mum?

TobleroneBoo Thu 01-Sep-16 11:30:55

He is probably missing his mum as suggested. Mine didnt yowl when we got them but sometimes they will wander into another room and then do it. I shout to them " come in here then" and they come into the same room and they are fine.

Does he yowl when you are about / he is sitting on you?

cozietoesie Thu 01-Sep-16 12:37:30

I'm afraid I've never had a Russian Blue but what I do with Siamese - who can also be mouthy and attention seeking - is to Talk Them out of a possible strop. (As well as letting them sleep in bed with me. (Ha! Letting. As if I had any choice. grin))

If they start off, I answer every single yowl - every single one. I also aim to 'turn the conversation' so that when they pause to draw breath, which they will inevitably do, I slip in an extra 'What?' - or whatever you're saying to them: 'Unh Huh' is fine, it's just the communication - so that I'm driving things and, effectively talking to them rather than just replying.

It takes about 5 or 10 minutes of concentrated attention - or maybe a little less - each time but it's well worth the time investment.

RubbishMantra Thu 01-Sep-16 15:57:11

Definitely let him sleep in bed with you, he sounds like a sensitive little soul. And play with him as much as you can, interactively. He might like a glove puppet to imitate rough and tumble with his litter-mates.

From what I know of Russian Blues, (not much) they become very devoted to their humans, so maybe he'd become particularly attached to his mum/a particular litter-mate. And apparently RBs have quiet, musical little voices - which your's clearly doesn't.

How are his stools? Solid or runny? Is he peeing OK?

Have you rung your vet for advice? I would definitely do that. Is he registered with a vet yet? They'll usually offer a free consultation on registering him.

Hope the little lad settles in soon.

RubbishMantra Thu 01-Sep-16 16:13:05

I just had a read of this, and it says RBs are particularly sensitive to their companion's mood. So you could be feeding off one another's anxiety.

Have you tried practicing some mindfulness for your own anxiety? There's loads on Youtube. And I hope you don't mind me asking, have you asked your GP for help re. your anxiety and depression?

silkandsteel83 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:47:42

Get another to keep him company

cozietoesie Thu 01-Sep-16 23:04:03

If he were a Siamese, I'd guess that he had a particularly strong bond with his mother and hasn't yet bonded with anyone in your household. Take him into bed tonight and see how he gets on.

OhForFrigSake Fri 02-Sep-16 13:01:56

Thanks so much for your input everyone, I do feel anxious at the moment so perhaps he is picking up on that. I am seeing my GP next week to restart my anti depressants so maybe that will help. At the moment, w it's the kitten not settling it just seems like another thing that I'm failing at sad

He is well in himself - eating well, solid poos, very playful - it's literally just when he's not asleep, being cuddled, being played with etc that he cries. He also stalks around the house as though he's looking for something. I think he must be searching for his mum and brothers which is really sad.

I'll definitely try some of your suggestions and I've just ordered a feliway plug in which a friend recommended. I don't mind a chatty cat (which I'm certain he'll be)... It's just the screaming. He's so intense when he does it. Even when I'm talking to him - it's like he's asking me a really important question but obviously I have no idea what it is.

cozietoesie Fri 02-Sep-16 13:08:32

Talk back to him intensely - it will take several minutes a day but will make such a difference. smile

You're doing OK by the way. It's a bit of a shock to the system to acquire a Motormouth for the first time. I just happened to get one as my first cat (my mother was lucky - he was a birthday present and it could have gone so horribly wrong) so I've been trained from an early age. wink

Bumpmadethemjump Fri 02-Sep-16 13:10:53

I love Russian blues have you got a photogrin? If his interacting ok with you I think he just wants your full attention 24/7grin.

OhForFrigSake Fri 02-Sep-16 13:12:59

Thank you Cozie, it helps to know I'm not completely mucking it up. I'll definitely try talking to him more - and not just 'what?..... what?...... WHAT?!'

cozietoesie Fri 02-Sep-16 13:13:55

There is a potential (but only slight) downside by the way. If he bonds with you then he might really bond. (I was given my character yesterday for leaving the house for a couple of hours and not, therefore, being available on request. grin)

OhForFrigSake Fri 02-Sep-16 13:17:08

I think he is bonding with me... He loves my scent, he is in ecstasy when he gets on my dressing gown and smells my scent!

cozietoesie Fri 02-Sep-16 13:21:11

It's my experience that bonding just 'happens' - ie it's not a process - so you're likely being told all about his day, the weather, the temperature, the state of the carpets, the economic situation in China etc etc.

You're his Mum now. smile ( And have a thought for his cat mother - how many kittens did she have? wink)

cozietoesie Fri 02-Sep-16 13:24:07

Sorry if I'm extrapolating from Siamese-I-Have-Known. He just sounds very similar. smile

problembottom Fri 02-Sep-16 13:31:27

You'll be fine. When I got my BSH at 15 weeks he was very yowly. He wouldn't even let me go to the loo without him and I had a complete breakdown one day as I thought I just couldn't make him happy.

I remember carrying him round like a baby a lot and I played and played and played with him. BSHs are supposed to be quiet but no-one told mine, he loves a good yowl still.

Russian Blues are gorgeous, remember to enjoy him!

OhForFrigSake Fri 02-Sep-16 13:32:08

He's a Russian Blue, not a Siamese but I gather that pedigree cats can all be a bit high maintainence smile

OhForFrigSake Fri 02-Sep-16 13:34:18

Here he is...

StuffandBother Fri 02-Sep-16 13:48:02

Ha! I could have written your post 2yrs ago, similar pedigree cat .... I got a Feliway and after a few days it stopped, it could have been coincidence though. I sold the Feliway on eBay 2 weeks later wink

cozietoesie Fri 02-Sep-16 13:50:43

I recall going to pick up a kitten who turned out to be My Darling Twoago. The kittens were by themselves in a pen in the living room until the breeder said 'You'll want to meet Mom then? ' She opened the door and in waltzed this lovely girl - who ignored the kittens completely and sashayed quickly over to us with an 'Oh Wonderful - PEOPLE!' look all over her face.

You can see her point. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now