I'm having a major stress: getting work done on house we had to move out but cat still there

(8 Posts)
FoxesOnSocks Sun 28-Aug-16 09:34:15

We will be out for three weeks, possibly slightly longer in total. Staying close by - whole of upstairs and attic being changed so we can't stay. I can bring the cat to were we are as it's far far to busy and I wouldn't be able to ensure he stayed inside (plus he's one very much outside cat and doesn't use the litter tray). I thought the cattery for so long would upset him more that us not bring in his house so I decided to leave him with access to the back room of our house only - builder knows he's there.

I go around every morning, during the afternoon and in the evening. Check his food and water and if he's around make a fuss of him.

Yesterday I arrived there in the morning and FoxesCat appears outside runs towards me miaowing (unusual) which made me worry he's sad. He's evidently staying in the house (food and water going, couch very furry!)

I'm not able for the stresses of being cats!!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 28-Aug-16 09:45:36

I think I'd have to put him in a cattery. I'd be worried about him getting into something he shouldn't and getting hurt or climbing into the builders vans and ending up miles away. I'd go and visit him though.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 28-Aug-16 09:50:59

I'd have used a good cattery too, it's not as bad as they make out.

Being alone overnight freaks our boy right out.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 28-Aug-16 10:11:47

I agree, cattery in these circumstances. It doesn't sound like a safe solution for that amount of time, added to the stress of his territory being invaded and his family not being around.

At least with a cattery he will be safe and have a routine?

FoxesOnSocks Sun 28-Aug-16 10:26:06

I know he hates the cattery. I'd be stressed about him in there too!! Thought this was a better of the two options.

Neighbours also look out for him too.

RoastChickenDinner Sun 28-Aug-16 10:34:55

I guess you need to decide which is the least stressful and safest option for you both. Cattery is probably safer for the reasons mentioned above, but if it would distress him more then staying at home may be the smallest risk overall.

WalrusGumboot Sun 28-Aug-16 10:41:05

Cattery every time. You don't want to risk him moving on if he thinks his family has left. You can also visit him in the cattery.

If your cat wasn't happy last time then try a different cattery.

OlennasWimple Sun 28-Aug-16 13:45:09

Cattery, definitely. At least then he won't run away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now