Vomiting cat

(21 Posts)
LurkingQuietly Wed 24-Aug-16 06:57:32

Hello, just looking for some advice, please. My cat has been vomiting for a few weeks now. I took him to the vets who was largely unconcerned and basically said to ignore it confused then took him back to another one who suggested trying to change his food. We did, but I have the fussiest little prince in the world and he wouldn't touch ANY other food.

So, I'm now going back, but given how non proactive they've been so far, is there anything I should be asking for/pushing for?

The vomit ranges from a fully Undigested meal, to hair balls, to white foam. It's not everyday, I would say every 3-4 days. Of course, that's all I see given he is an outdoor cat.

I suspect a neighbour is feeding him, so I intend to put notes through the door asking them to stop if they are.

Any advice would be so gratefully received.

kormachameleon Wed 24-Aug-16 06:58:53

Have you noticed any changes to his weight ?

kormachameleon Wed 24-Aug-16 06:59:13

Have you noticed any changes to his weight ?

LurkingQuietly Wed 24-Aug-16 07:05:19

No! None at all. We were commenting on it last night actually and saying that we would have expected him to have lost weight.

Icequeen01 Wed 24-Aug-16 07:51:28

I would definitely be pushing for the vet to do more. I have had a cat with pancreatitus who was vomiting a lot. First time I took him to the vet she was pretty laid back (can't remember if she gave us anything) but the second time we took him back she did blood tests to see if anything showed up - which it did.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 24-Aug-16 07:57:44

Our cat was like this. Had most of his teeth taken out (rotten), now it's stopped completely.

Cheerybigbottom Wed 24-Aug-16 08:13:15

Our cat over groomed from stress and had an increase in vomiting (we had moved house). Also due to him eating grass hmm

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 24-Aug-16 08:17:53

Cheery our cat over grooms, I can't understand what he's stressed about, he had a bad start (rescue), he's been with us a few years now, quiet house/garden, lord of the manor etc.

Cheerybigbottom Wed 24-Aug-16 08:43:44

It becomes a habit I think* butteredtoast* our's continues to do it despite living a settled and carefree life now years after the move. We did feliway and checked diet and all that. Just figured he's a nervous cat and try to keep him groomed by ourselves and give him things to play with.

People can be a bit nervy, I suppose my cat is a feline hair twiddled lol

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 24-Aug-16 08:54:03

Yes, I think you're right about it being a habit/nerves. I read that some cats strip all their fur apart from their head that they can't reach, so it could be a lot worse.

LurkingQuietly Wed 24-Aug-16 10:04:03

Thanks so much for all the replies.

His teeth are good, as commented on by the vet in April when he had his vaccinations. He does, however, groom a lot, and has a really nervy disposition. He is affectionately called the wuss as he likes to paw at his cat flap 50,000 times before going through it, just to check there's no other cats lurking round the corner waiting to pounce on him.

I'll pop back to the vets and see what they think. Even though he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, is very affectionate and acting quite normally (for him) I do hate the worry of him not being quite right.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Wed 24-Aug-16 10:37:28

he likes to paw at his cat flap 50,000 times before going through it he's probably expecting you to open it for him grin
Hope you can get things sorted with him soon, put your mind at rest.

kormachameleon Wed 24-Aug-16 14:44:35

I'd expect any vet when faced with a cat that commits regularly to do some basic bloods

kormachameleon Wed 24-Aug-16 14:44:52

*vomits

cozietoesie Wed 24-Aug-16 16:43:45

I'd certainly be expecting the vet to take the vomiting just a little bit seriously. Which one is your regular vet?

Oh - and how old is he?

cozietoesie Wed 24-Aug-16 16:45:43

Sorry. I meant - how old is the cat? wink

LurkingQuietly Sun 28-Aug-16 21:57:29

Apologies - I read this the other day and got distracted before I could reply. He's 3.5, and the vet is approximately 12 wink

Both vets are mine - I just see whichever vet is free. I've seen them both a few times. Anyway, even though I've not seen any evidence of vomit since writing this post, typically, he's booked in to see the vet on weds so I'll push for some bloods.

I don't know why I care so much, he's just shoved his bum in my face, eaten a stray piece of cheese from my lap, and then buggered off to settle on DH's lap for cuddles which means I have to get up to put the babies bottles on to sterilise when it was most definitely not my turn.

HuckleberryGin Sun 28-Aug-16 22:03:28

Has he been wormed? Ours vomit when they are due a worming tablet. One of ours has started because we are packing up to move

LurkingQuietly Sun 28-Aug-16 22:10:36

I will check if he is due a worming tablet when I go to the vets. They usually text me to remind me so I don't really track it too much, but I have a feeling he may be a little overdue and the text hasn't come through. Thanks.

eleventybillion Sun 28-Aug-16 22:36:17

It does sound like you need a more proactive vet lurking.

Have you noticed any lip licking? That can indicate nausea.

Eleventycat has had all those symptoms and at one point was vomiting four or five times a week. My fab vet sorted her out with a combination of diet and drugs. Tried a bland diet of chicken to exclude food problems (must be done under strict vet supervision). Eleventycat loved it and it did help before reintroducing a different diet. What really did the trick though was a small regular dose of antacid.

Hope you get it sorted.

chocolatespiders Sun 28-Aug-16 22:41:39

My old girl use to be sick a lot.. I ended up giving her smaller portions throughout the day of better quality food such as James well beloved or nature menu and this improved her health. I did add water to it as her teeth were poor.
She loved cheese!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now