Cat going on kitchen work surfaces!

(41 Posts)
Minta85 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:15:09

My lovely eight month old Burmese boy has recently started jumping onto the kitchen work surfaces. I've tried lifting him off, but he just jumps back on again. Clapping my hands and saying 'No!' firmly also has no effect. Does anyone have any tips or ideas they could share for how to get him to stop?

user7755 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:15:56

Shut him out and keep a bottle of zoflora spray handy for when he does!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:44:12

I just wipe up a lot.

Wolfiefan Sun 21-Aug-16 20:44:53

Water pistol?
You'd be brave to try that on a Burmese though!
grin

Minta85 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:49:29

I've tried lightly sprinkling drops of water on him, but he just shakes himself and carries cheekily on!

cozietoesie Sun 21-Aug-16 21:10:00

Shut him out of the kitchen every single time. Just hoick him down and out brusquely ( but not nastily) and after 20 minutes open the kitchen door. Do not call him back in, just ignore him if he returns. And repeat.......

Be implacable about it.

bikerlou Sun 21-Aug-16 21:12:53

After a few years you will just give up and let them do whatever they want. I've given up. The house doesn't belong to me it belongs to my cats.

villainousbroodmare Sun 21-Aug-16 21:13:30

Exactly what cosietosie says with even more vigilance and implacability plus never leaving anything out that he could snack on.
The way they gently apply their anus to the work surface is just horrible! grin

DixieWishbone Sun 21-Aug-16 21:15:36

We got a plant mister and sprayed Swampcat in the face with it. A spray might be too vigorous, but a mist wouldn't hurt her eyes.

I did try tipping a cup of water over her once. The water just rolled off her back fur and she just stared at me in bored disdain.

SpidersFromMars Sun 21-Aug-16 21:16:06

Foil on the worktop worked for us

cozietoesie Sun 21-Aug-16 21:16:09

The sanitary aspects don't bother me - heck, I sleep with my boys - but I just can't be doing with it. No Work Surfaces is one of our very few house rules.

cozietoesie Sun 21-Aug-16 21:18:25

That picture that TCN has posted of her kitchen makes me twitch! grin

freetrampolineforall Sun 21-Aug-16 21:19:59

You know the cat goes on it when you're not there, right ? Wipe down before every food prep.

Potentialmadcatlady Sun 21-Aug-16 21:21:24

Open plan house, dog eats cat food if he can and gets the runs...cats fed up high on vets orders to stop the above...all equals cats on work surface whether I like it or not..I clean work surfaces every time I walk past and disinfect with wipes before doing anything in kitchen every single time...cracks me up but a poopy bottomed dog is worse so I put up with it....

Minta85 Sun 21-Aug-16 22:16:59

Have just tried putting a big piece of foil down to see if it would put him off. Nope, he walked straight onto it and was having a great time investigating it! He really is incorrigible!

hugoagogo Sun 21-Aug-16 22:19:41

Argh I don't know the answer, but please don't use zoflora around cats as it is toxic to them!

cozietoesie Sun 21-Aug-16 22:20:00

He sounds as if he has you thoroughly under the paw. smile

SpookyRachel Sun 21-Aug-16 22:20:38

You may train your cat not to go on the worktops when you are present. I doubt you will ever prevent him taking his revenge when you are not there...

user7755 Sun 21-Aug-16 22:34:04

Hugo - only if you don't rinse / dry isn't it?

cozietoesie Sun 21-Aug-16 22:35:06

My Siamese boys wouldn't dare. smile

The Lodger being a force of nature (and also arriving when he was full grown and I wasn't in a mood to train him) would, I think, occasionally forget if I wasn't around and he was in hot pursuit - his old thieving habits died hard - but even he 'minded'.

It can be done.

cozietoesie Sun 21-Aug-16 22:40:47

I forgot to add that you have to make it clear that 'bad thoughts' about rule breaking count as the act itself. (It's very easy to tell when a cat is having them.)

Minta85 Sun 21-Aug-16 22:53:49

Lol, yes, I can tell when he's plotting his next bit of mischief!

SaggyNaggy Sun 21-Aug-16 22:57:10

My little tabby is 4months and gets on them too. I leave him to it and just wipe before and after use.

orangebird69 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:01:48

I've got 5 cats in an open plan house. I just get through a lot of antibac/disinfectant spray. A friend used to put sheets of newspaper on the side so when her cat jumped up, the paper would slip off. Apparently that worked. But frankly, unless you're watching them constantly and locking them out when you're not there, you're pissing in the wind. Good luck!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 21-Aug-16 23:03:25

Zoflora is perfectly pet safe...that is why I use it.

Zoflora and pets

I also have to keep the cat food up high because of the dogs, so it's spray/wipe/dry before any food prep and meals. Faerie particularly likes to sleep on the kitchen table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now