New cat litter - aaaarrrggghhh!

(19 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 18-Aug-16 22:40:08

No, not what you're thinking! We changed Harry's litter from Catsan to Felipure clumping and he likes it too much - he keeps coming in from the garden to use his tray!

The problem is when he wees he goes right against the edge of the tray and it welds to the side and is a bugger to scrape off. Is it better to wait until it dries and then scrape off and remove the clump? I've got loads of litter in the tray so it's not sticking to the bottom, just the side.

I wouldn't have thought a little cat could produce so much wee!

cozietoesie Thu 18-Aug-16 22:56:17

Have you tried - now that he's adjusted to the new litter - some tactical but Oh-So-Gradual repositioning of the tray so that he more or less has to pee more in the middle?

RubbishMantra Thu 18-Aug-16 23:49:44

Is it a lidded tray? If it is, perhaps you could try a larger one?

RubbishMantra Thu 18-Aug-16 23:56:51

* Oh, just remembered, I use a metal slotted spoon for scraping 'n' sifting. Not the same one I use for cooking though. grin

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-Aug-16 07:10:21

Unfortunately we've nowhere else to put the tray because of the layout of our bathroom. It's next to the loo and that's the side he goes against.

It's not a lidded tray Mantra, I don't think he could cope with that! That's a good idea about the spoon, I'll have a think about that.

One other question (sor of litter tray related!), we've been redoing our kitchen and his drinking water has been moved into the living room. Since then he's been drinking loads more. Could it be because it's now away from his food? He's always used it but preferred the bowl of water in the garden but now seems to like his indoor bowl.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-Aug-16 07:11:41

I should say that I mean he's drinking loads more indoors, not loads more in general. I'm not worried that he's got a problem!

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 19-Aug-16 07:18:38

I have read that cats like their drinking water away from their food, no idea why though!

Allergictoironing Fri 19-Aug-16 07:29:59

I have an open tray that has a removable rim, which overhangs the main tray by an inch or so - Pets At Home do them, not sure about anywhere else. The cats can't get right up to the edge for peeing and pooing, and it has the added bonus for Girlcat that she can balance on the lip to a) show off and b) get her to exactly the right angle to try to break her own record of the highest possible volcano of litter to cover the poo without knocking it down by mistake.

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 19-Aug-16 07:41:52

Allergic grin

Toddlerteaplease Fri 19-Aug-16 09:55:40

Try putting a puppy pad under the litter. It stops it sticking.

cozietoesie Fri 19-Aug-16 11:32:43

Just to add quickly. I gave up using those flipping plastic implements for trays years ago. Stupid, ineffectual, things. We now always use metal scoops with hard bladed (non-sharp) edges, generally sold as 'flour scoops' or similar. (I'm sure that a cheap metal garden trowel would work just fine also.)

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-Aug-16 23:12:42

The plastic things are useless and I definitely need to sort out something more heavy duty!

This is getting silly now - he's wee'd in his tray at least 3 times today and he hardly ever used it before. DH has tried to convince me he's not ill but should I be worried? He's got no symptoms, he's eating and drinking, sleeping and being his usual temperamental self! He's just a lean mean weeing machine!

TobleroneBoo Fri 19-Aug-16 23:14:40

A litter liner? We love Ours and just bundle it up and chuck away

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-Aug-16 23:19:43

Do they cover the sides of the tray? He goes in the box with his tail balanced over the side so most of it goes up the side of the tray (we did away with the mat under the tray when he misjudged how close he was to the edge!).

I think DH is fed up with hearing about Harry's toilet habits!

cozietoesie Fri 19-Aug-16 23:21:05

I'm sure he's fine - but when is he due to see his vet again? (I'm thinking that he's an older chap isn't he?)

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-Aug-16 23:43:05

We think he's 11 cozie. He's not due a check up until December but I'll keep an eye on him and get him booked in early if necessary. DH's theory is he's not going any more than normal but using his tray instead of the garden as the new litter is more gentle on the paws than Catsan and it saves digging in the garden. Either that or he's marking his territory after the clumps are removed

cozietoesie Sat 20-Aug-16 01:29:30

It was the combination of that plus the increased drinking that made me thoughtful. You've noticed it anyway. Maybe just keep a weather eye on him? smile

TobleroneBoo Sat 20-Aug-16 07:54:23

Yes they are quite big and we would be able to put them in, over the edge and tuck them back under the tray bottom but because they piss-ball about in the tray we fold it and peg it, but yes plenty of excess liner - only from wilko so nothing fancy

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 20-Aug-16 08:34:25

Thinking about it logically cozie, I don't really know if he's drinking more or if I'm just seeing him drink more. His bowl was in the kitchen but now it's in front of the TV so in my direct line of vision! The weeing has only started since the new litter went down as well - he used to go weeks without using the tray and used to go out, now he comes in especially to use it! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him but I'm not panicking now!

Toblerone thanks for that, I'll pop in Wilko. Even before he managed to weld clumping litter to the side of the tray I was fed up with scraping the bottom when we emptied it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now