My cat brings in live frogs

(8 Posts)
twilightcafe Thu 18-Aug-16 19:49:46

I have found three live frogs in my house since Sunday. One in the cat's water bowl another in the cloakroom and a third in the utility room.

Is there a way I can stop my cat from bringing in these 'gifts'? Or am I going to have to lump it?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:46:19

Lump it. One day When you move house you'll find a dessicated one under furniture.

twilightcafe Thu 18-Aug-16 21:33:58

I have never had a cat that has brought in anything - let alone live frogs.

RubbishMantra Thu 18-Aug-16 22:00:34

Do they scream when you catch them to put them outside? I got the crap scared out of me when I heard what sounded like a baby screaming. It was my cat, gently patting a frog to make it hop down the stairs, while screaming it's little froggy head off!

twilightcafe Thu 18-Aug-16 22:05:34

shock
She just brought A LIVE TOAD in. It sounded like a cross between a baby screaming and a deflating balloon.

RubbishMantra Thu 18-Aug-16 22:19:31

*I just noticed you found one in the water bowl. Very thoughtful of kitty to ensure frog was hydrated. Maybe he was planning to keep it as a pet? grin

Don't tell your cat off though, it's just doing what comes naturally to them. Make as little deal of catching/disposing of what cat brings in, with your cat in another room. so he's not sniggering at your antics trying to catch a leaping, wriggly, slimy creature And usher frog into a shoe-box, then pop the lid on. I wish I'd know to do this, before chasing a screaming frog all over the front room, catching it, for it to only squirm out of my grip.

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:40:20

Mine brings in frogs but doesn't kill them, interesting enough to catch but nasty enough not to bite, then throws them down the stairs. Not so they hop from stair to stair, just lobs them through the air so they thud into the wall and drop to the floor looking dazed and confused. I generally chuck them in the front garden as he can't get out there.

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 19-Aug-16 00:46:42

A cat of mine used to do this. Don't be surprised if they get a reaction from the toads. There is a (mild) toxin produced by toads from their backs that tastes foul and can cause a mild irritation to the cats mouth, making them drool profusely, paw their mouths, and look like they've just tasted something foul. Some cats are over sensitive/reactive to the toad secretions, so if you see a considerable reaction, do get your cat to the vet straight away just in case. I do miss having cats smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now