So following the yearly vax trip to the vets

(8 Posts)
Foslady Thu 18-Aug-16 11:24:25

The vet thinks Foscat's weight loss is not thought to be potentially due to her age as I thought it was (she's 13). We're going to attempt to get a urine sample and get her tested for her kidneys and diabetes and hope that if there is anything there it can be diet controlled (there is no way I could get daily medication down her, I've tried every method shown re tablets, she'll happily leave food in her dish if there's anything she suspects - she's one of those cats that comes to you, you don't go to her and picking up in a big no-no).
(Sorry for the waffle there, just wanted you to get the picture re her - she has ultimate catitude and won't be coerced).
What I'm clumsily trying to ask is what kind of diet adjustments would I be looking at? Currently she had meat (elderly cat type) and biscuits down and only eats the biscuits if we've given her the meat that day she doesn't want and she's hungry (or more as a protest than choice). Would I be looking at one of the dry foods for her? I was wondering if it's worth altering her diet gradually now by mixing meat with a recommended food and gradually weaning out the meat to try and get her to adjust slowly rather than a shock adjustment.
We got her as a rescue when she was 3 and have tried over the years to get her to be more adaptable but she's always refused to change her ways.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 18-Aug-16 12:34:28

First find out what is going the dietary requirements for diabetes and chronic kidney failure are vastly different.

Foslady Thu 18-Aug-16 12:46:51

Oh right - with her just saying they can be diet controlled I thought they would be similar (can't believe I have been so thick - sorry)

Vinorosso74 Thu 18-Aug-16 22:12:55

Hopefully she isn't but if your cat is diabetic and needs insulin injections they are way easier to do than give tablets!

Foslady Thu 18-Aug-16 23:19:27

I struggle to get the flea stuff on the back of her neck - she does a runner when I walk in the room hiding an open phial!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-Aug-16 07:15:06

Have you got someone who can help you? We've perfected our routine over the years - I pick up the cat, DH gets the phial and puts it on his neck - I'd struggle on my own!

Foslady Fri 19-Aug-16 08:34:15

Now dd is older I can get her to help, but good to know it's not just me!

dragonsarebest Fri 19-Aug-16 10:09:51

My cat's weight loss was thyroid related. The thought of giving her a tablet everyday filled me with fear (she was a very nervous rescue too) but we've got it nailed now. Apologies if you've tried this method already, but I put a small blob of hairball malt paste ( I use this one on the back of a teaspoon. Press tablet into the blob. Put a teeny bit more paste over tablet to hide it. Present paste/tablet to madam, watch her gobble it down.

Very occasionally, she takes the paste but spits out the tablet - as an alternative method, take 3 grates of cheddar, warm a bit in your hand, mould them around pill and give cheese/tablet to cat. This one has never failed, but is a bit messier to do.

I can't give mine the spot-on flea treatments either, but she will take Program on her food once a month.

Good luck and I hope you get a diagnosis and treatment plan for her soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now