cost of front leg amputation

(10 Posts)
SquidgeyMidgey Thu 18-Aug-16 10:47:58

Sorry to post and run, will explain later but short of time. Any ideas of the cost of amputating a front leg please, sorry to anyone who has been through this.

SquidgeyMidgey Thu 18-Aug-16 11:25:50

A few months ago a stray turned up at MIL's with a badly injured front paw. It's been to the vet a few times and we're up to £300ish in antibiotics, painkillers etc. It looks to my un-vet trained eye like there is some sort of damage to the nerves or some internal structure as its paw just drags and seems permanently floppy. The skin is abraded where it rubs the ground and it cleary can't go on like this. It would break MIL's heart to have the cat pts but she can't afford a huge vet bill for amputation. The vet won't tell me a ballpark cost because it's not my cat.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 18-Aug-16 12:36:04

It is going vary massively where you are in the country, with me in the Home Counties about £650, in London probably topping 1K.

SquidgeyMidgey Thu 18-Aug-16 13:32:12

Thank you Lonecatwithkitten, we're north of you but that's a very useful estimate. We can cover that for her if it comes to it. She's too scared to ask the price but something needs to be done now.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 18-Aug-16 13:58:23

Bless you and your MIL for caring about her. Let us know how she gets on.

SquidgeyMidgey Thu 18-Aug-16 20:21:45

Ha PinkSparklyPussyCat, if it was a person with their leg hanging off they would've been told to sling their hook! DH is over with MIL now having the conversation, I think he's going to get her to take it (that sounds awful, hugely fluffy cat and no idea of gender) to our vet and he'll pick up the tab. I love my DH sometimes :grin:

CatThiefKeith Thu 18-Aug-16 20:23:07

My cats back leg amputation was £800, 3 years ago, in North Kent.

SquidgeyMidgey Thu 18-Aug-16 20:44:27

Thanks CatThiefKeith.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 18-Aug-16 20:50:16

I'd be the same! Your DH sounds lovely - mine tries to pretend he's not soft but when our cat was injured he told me to tell the vet to do whatever was necessary, money wasn't a problem!

SquidgeyMidgey Mon 22-Aug-16 17:40:58

MIL took the cat in to the vet earlier, DH popped over and she was quite upset. He thinks the vet said he (it's a he) isn't weight bearing because it's too painful. They're going to cut one side of the paw away and wrap something round t'other side (?) and send the removed part off for analysis as they think there's a malignancy. MIL though it looked like a fight wound when the cat arrived, could it have become cancerous? I have no idea about these things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now