Can't do it anymore - splitting up siblings

(8 Posts)
spaintrotter Wed 17-Aug-16 06:15:22

I adopted 2 cats in May. Sisters, 1 year old.

One of them is the perfect cat and have never had any problems however the other one it's been non stop. She literally shits everywhere including dd's bed, on the sofa and basically anywhere she can despite having 4 litter trays between them and the freedom to go outside whenever she wants.

I've bought feliway plug-ins, 2 trips to the vets and can't possibly fit any more litter trays in my home.

I feel sad to say it but I've had enough now. Just woke up to her shitting at the bottom of my bed and I can't take it. My house stinks and it's not hygienic having cat shit everywhere when I have a toddler around.

Would it be awful to split them up?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 17-Aug-16 07:10:33

No it sounds like she'd be happier as an only cat.

ImYourMama Wed 17-Aug-16 07:22:55

We had this EXACT problem, rehoused 'naughty' sister and she is now incredibly happy in a new home as an only cat, the remaining cat is our baby and is even more
perfect than before - you can't make them like each other

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 17-Aug-16 08:04:58

She sounds very stressed and you have certainly done all you can to help her settle. I think it would be kinder to rehome under the circumstances. Hard decision but you have to think of her happiness and your sanity! Good luck.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Aug-16 08:41:23

Cats won't necessarily like each other, siblings or not. She sounds stressed so being a singleton would likely be more suited to her.

spaintrotter Wed 17-Aug-16 10:19:53

I feel awful because she is a lovely cat apart from the litter tray issues. I've emailed the shelter where I adopted them from and told them so waiting for a reply.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Aug-16 10:54:33

It sounds like 'protest-pooing'. She could be just fine as a singleton. (Some cats just can't abide others - I have one, I fear.)

NarcyCow Wed 17-Aug-16 12:02:21

My sister has two cats and has this problem. She keeps them separate now and the 'problem cat' is much happier. Sometimes it's kinder to split them up - don't feel bad about it, she'll end up much more content.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now