Best cat litter?

(13 Posts)
JoanFerguson Sun 14-Aug-16 13:29:40

We got 2 cats recently and have been using catsan hygiene litter, I scoop the poo out as soon as I spot it but the wee smell is bothering me a bit, how often would you change the whole lot? Would we be better with a clumping litter? Will changing bother them?

thecatneuterer Sun 14-Aug-16 13:35:51

Wood pellet litter doesn't smell at all. The only problem with it is you tend to get sawdust tracking around the house from their paws. It's still the only one I would use though.

MidnightVelvettheSixth Sun 14-Aug-16 13:37:27

I use wood litter, have never noticed a wee smell...

cozietoesie Sun 14-Aug-16 14:45:37

I used wood pellets with Oneago, once. (A friend had given me a spare packet and I thought to try it out.) He took one horrified look at it, poked the tray with a paw in a derisory fashion and then leapt on the bed and peed all over a split new down duvet. (Which had to be thrown.)

I knew my role. Next morning, I was down at the supermarket on opening buying some traditional clumping. We haven't varied much from that ever since, although I'll sometimes buy the more expensive 'Ultra' stuff because it's finer and therefore easier on Seniorboy's paws.

Katymac Sun 14-Aug-16 14:53:38

We have paper - it tracks less than wood but can be a bit smelly

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 14-Aug-16 15:17:32

We use Catsan and can't say we notice a smell. In fact I've felt a bit sorry for him as there's been a couple of times when we've emptied the tray and only then noticed the smell.

NeedACleverNN Sun 14-Aug-16 15:19:21

Cats best oko plus

BengalCatMum Sun 14-Aug-16 15:21:05

I think you have to use non-clumping with kittens as far as I can remember.

The best I had was catsan so cant help sorry, Goodluck

JoanFerguson Sun 14-Aug-16 15:33:57

Maybe some acceptance is the answer here!! I'll stick with the kind we have and empty it every 5 days or so, rather than weekly...

SmokingGun Sun 14-Aug-16 15:35:51

Cats best Oko plus for me too! My huge Bengal boy does massive wee's and it never smells.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 14-Aug-16 16:04:54

I've just put Felipure unscented clumping in Harry's tray and I'm now keeping everything crossed that he will use it!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 14-Aug-16 17:19:27

Intersand classic is brilliant. It clumps. Scoop on the morning and change once a months. No smell at all.

Botanicbaby Sun 14-Aug-16 19:43:27

I used to volunteer at a rescue centre and they provided wood and grit litter for the cats depending on their history. I think the previous 'owners' must have informed them of what they had used before they were admitted, I'm not sure how they choose which litter for kittens or strays sad

Having used both clumping grit litter and wood in the past with all my cats, I can say I would never go back to the grit one. I buy the wood pellet one from the Cat's Protection and it lasts for ages. I picked up this method rom the rescue centre so rather than fill the tray up a lot (which I used to), I fill it quite lightly and change the whole lot more often rather than constant scooping. It never smells at all though like a PP said you can sometimes get a tell-tale pellet around the house. If you do use wood, don't let it get too wet before you change it otherwise it will be sawdust.

I ran out of the usual litter and bought some emergency litter (bright orange grit) in error from Tesco thinking it was wood and my poor tortie's gorgeous big white paws changed colour grin. She wasn't very happy with that and I was worried about staining her fur.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now