Tapeworm

(7 Posts)
acatcalledjohn Sat 13-Aug-16 22:31:49

We've very recently treated our cats for fleas at the sight of what we thought was a single flea. No biggy, given we've had a full on infestation before which caused no problems at all. Advantage & Indorex did the trick.

Tonight we noticed that patchy cat has a tape worm, which was merrily dangling out of his back end envy. Cleaned him up and made plans to by worming tablets as soon as Pets at Home open tomorrow.

No real reason for posting other than to have a little moan at the prospect of regularly checking several cats' bums over the next few days. I mean, how can something so gross come out of something so cute?

I feel itchy as fuck.

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Aug-16 22:40:45

Yuk. Again, as with the flea treatment thread, make sure you get the proper stuff - either Drontal or Milbemax

acatcalledjohn Sat 13-Aug-16 22:46:37

Definitely getting Drontal.

Can't stop scratching. envy

BeBopTalulah Sun 14-Aug-16 09:24:20

One of our cats gets wormed monthly due to his addiction to eating small furry things whole, daily. After he showed signs of having tapeworm only a few weeks after his last worming treatment, I took him to the vet. Apparently a single flea can transmit tapeworm. We didn't routinely treat ours for fleas as we never found any. I switched to Broadline, which does everything (worms and fleas), and things are much better.

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 14-Aug-16 13:49:33

BeBop I was directed to your suggestion of Broadline from another thread, can I ask if you have found it effective for fleas? I am thinking of using it for our new cat but have read that it uses the same ingredient as frontline, which is apparently becoming ineffective for fleas. Just wondered how you were getting on with it. Thanks.

BeBopTalulah Sun 14-Aug-16 18:57:34

I can't really comment on it's effectiveness as I've never noticed fleas on my cats. Certainly our worm problems are much better. I imagine that the odd flea was passing on worms, but they've never been infested.

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 14-Aug-16 22:06:19

Thanks Bebop and I have had some response on the other thread, still not sure what to do, will take advice from the vets. I guess if you've never seen a flea then it is working!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now