Cat is unwell - any advice?

(14 Posts)
LadyFuchsiaGroan Sat 13-Aug-16 13:11:40

My female cat is unwell - she seems to have a cold, do cats get colds? Her eyes are producing a green mucus which I have been bathing with cooled boiled water with a little bit of salt. Also sounds like her nose maybe blocked and she is breathing through her mouth and a few sneezes too.

Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? She's sleeping a lot which I guess is what she needs right now.

DesolateWaist Sat 13-Aug-16 13:12:57

Without wishing to state the obvious but have you spoken to the vet?
My cat insurance also has a help line. Do you have similar that you can call?

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Aug-16 13:21:05

She has flu. Is she fully vaccinated? If so she should recover quickly. If not it could be quite dangerous. Even though it is a virus it causes symptoms which can be treated by antibiotics. If you don't get treatment, which includes the proper eye drops for her, she could lose the sight in the worst affected eye (it normally only gets one eye - I don't know why).

So she needs a vet.

LadyFuchsiaGroan Sat 13-Aug-16 13:21:24

The vets was closed yesterday - not open again until Monday. I really can't afford out of hours vets at the moment and she seems OK in herself generally just with cold like synptoms.

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Aug-16 13:24:02

Yes it will wait until Monday if necessary. However Pets at Home vets are open at weekends for normal rates.

Is she fully vaccinated?

LadyFuchsiaGroan Sat 13-Aug-16 13:39:55

She isn't vaccinated - and I am no where near a pets at home. Just had a quick google of cat flu and I think your right, it definitely sounds like that. She is choosing to sit out and sunbathe is it safe for her to be out?

cozietoesie Sat 13-Aug-16 13:47:52

She needs to be vaccinated directly - and possibly receive some ABs for any opportunistic infection that's snuck in. Is she your only cat?

By the way, is she neutered?

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Aug-16 14:45:46

If she is still eating and drinking it's ok for her to be out I suppose. You probably won't be able to vaccinate her until she's over the flu, but then you need to do it. Just one vaccine protects them against feline enteritis for life, which is a horrible, fatal and very, very infectious disease. And if they are fully vaccinated then they can avoid/overcome illnesses such as this.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Aug-16 14:56:20

There's nothing you can give her to ease the symptoms, and human medications can poisen her.

She must feel rotten.

LadyFuchsiaGroan Sat 13-Aug-16 15:05:55

She is neutered and we do have another cat, funnily enough they were both strays but we have had her about 3 years now. After the second cat moved himself in a few months ago we have been dealing with a bloody awful flea problem. After seeing a thread about fleas I used advantage on them both and then the next day she gets ill.

I am seriously skint at the moment but I'm worried about leaving her until Monday? Probably a stupid question but do vets do payment plans or anything like that?

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Aug-16 15:13:26

Most vets do payment plans. However if she is still eating then it should be ok to wait until Monday. She will feel horrible of course, but won't die.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Aug-16 15:19:34

Are you entitled to any help off the PDSA?

cozietoesie Sat 13-Aug-16 17:09:36

And have the other cat vaccinated as well if he's the same. (Remember that it's a two-stage thing so they would both need two vet visits.)

LadyFuchsiaGroan Sun 14-Aug-16 11:09:51

I cooked some chicken for her last night and hand fed her and this morning she is like a different cat her eye has cleared up and she looks much better. Thanks for all your advice I will definitely be getting both cats vaccinated I will book them in on payday - still amazed how quickly this floored her sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now