What is all this about!

(16 Posts)
Italiangreyhound Tue 09-Aug-16 22:52:01

Lovely cat was taken in by us last spring after a year in a rescue centre. He a neutered male of about 8 or 9 now.

I know when we come back from holidays he is a bit 'off' with us.. even though he has been fed and cared for in his own home.

The first time we went away he tried to scratch or bite me, dh and dd (then aged 10).

This time we came home and dh said cat had tried to scratch or bite him.

I did a REALLY stupid thing and was stroking him from the front, ruffling the scruff of his neck and telling him off (I always tell visitors not to stroke him from the front) and he just went for me. Several scratches (4) all around my arm.

I was so upset about the scratches, I have been ignoring him, but he is now walking around like a dog in a manger. He is not short of attention, dd loves him to bits (I'm afraid I've cooled a bit now) and even my in-laws love him!

Since then he has had a hair ball come up and bring up breakfast on the carpet (undigested) and then some more (better digested)!

He's got into a fight and got a scratch on his back, not big.

He brought in a dead bird last night and another today.

What is going on?

Italiangreyhound Tue 09-Aug-16 22:52:32

PS I know you are all wise cat whispers but he has got me stumped, talk about biting the hand that feeds you....

gamerchick Tue 09-Aug-16 22:56:11

You knew you did a stupid thing so why are you surprised he scratched you? confused

Italiangreyhound Tue 09-Aug-16 22:59:39

Because I'm the one that loves and feeds him. And normally when I do stupid things to people that I love they don't drag their nails/claws down me!

Are you saying he doesn't love me!

Italiangreyhound Tue 09-Aug-16 23:00:06

And what is with all the birds, two in two days!

Italiangreyhound Tue 09-Aug-16 23:00:28

And normally it is like one every six months.

mineofuselessinformation Tue 09-Aug-16 23:08:25

He's bringing you presents because he's glad you're home.
The scratches are his displeasure at your being away.
Maybe next time don't make a fuss on arriving home - let him come to you, but be careful. My cat has a bit of a sulk if he's been left, but given time comes out of it.

Italiangreyhound Tue 09-Aug-16 23:14:35

mineofuselessinformation I thought the birds could be gifts but I really don't want them. How can I discourage this? He is overweight (on special diet), probably almost 10, what's that in cat years - 49 or 70 (?) and so I am gob smacked he can catch the birds (in the dark!).

I am not sure I am cut out for cat ownership, long term! We had thress cats when i was a child, from age 10 to about age 33. The had one other cat before this one.

This one is so temperamental!! (Our last cat was not at all temperamental and never bit or scratched past being a kitten.) We had him as a kitten and I wonder if this meant he was more attached to us. We chose an older cat this time. But then my friend's son had a kitten and it grew up to be very antisocial.

Italiangreyhound Tue 09-Aug-16 23:15:45

three cats....Then had one other cat before this one.

cozietoesie Tue 09-Aug-16 23:28:10

He's trying, after your absence, to assert himself and grab Top Cat status. You need to keep on physically ignoring him (and the rest of the family also) and just revert to family routine right away.

Your attitude to him should be a noticeable 'Oh it's you?' sort of thing. Put his food down absent-mindedly etc.

Good luck. smile

Italiangreyhound Tue 09-Aug-16 23:32:03

Thanks Cozie I was doing well but felt sorry for him tonight. He is such a mixed up thing! He comes close then moves away! It's just the scratching, I find it really annoying, I had bare arms and it really hurt. (wimpey face)

cozietoesie Tue 09-Aug-16 23:35:40

Don't feel sorry for him - that's fatal for all concerned. What he needs is the security of having a Top Cat back in his life - to take the strain - and lots of yummy routine. That will relax him and cheer him up. smile

RubbishMantra Wed 10-Aug-16 12:20:36

Also the fussing (ruffling the back of his neck) and telling him off at the same time is giving mixed messages, Resulting in a confused cat = lashing out.

Italiangreyhound Wed 10-Aug-16 20:52:58

Rubbish do you think he knows what I am saying?

cozietoesie Wed 10-Aug-16 21:55:24

Are you ignoring him now? smile

Italiangreyhound Wed 10-Aug-16 23:41:22

Can I stop now?

Went to chemist today to ask if scratch is OK, they said yes but keep clean and covered so I bought big plasters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now