Ewwwwww a tick!

(7 Posts)
Emochild Sun 07-Aug-16 23:49:48

Just been having my nightly head rubbing session with my cat

At this time of year I take the opportunity to pull seed pods out of his fur at the same time very satisfying

Found what I thought was one behind his ear which I thought was odd but I pulled it out and I think it's a tick

I know ticks shouldn't be removed with finger nails but I didn't realise that's what it was

I think I've got it all out but he's got a little lump where it was

He's been a bit sleepy for the last couple of days and regurgitated his tea last night (been eating and drinking fine today) -are they connected and do I need to take him to the vets?

Emochild Sun 07-Aug-16 23:54:19

This is what I pulled off him

WeirdAndPissedOff Mon 08-Aug-16 00:22:33

Hmm, I don't know if they are related - I'd just suggest keeping a close eye to see if his behaviour changes/gets better.
If he doesn't improve then I would take him to the vets.

I'd also give him a good check over to see if there are any more.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Aug-16 06:49:44

When ours had a tick he was like that. He perked up when I got the tick off.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 08-Aug-16 07:28:22

That tick is reasonably small and doesn't look like it has had a blood meal yet. It was probably attached for 24 hours at the most. I would consider treating your cat with a product that does Fleas and Ticks Bravecto and Broadline ( both prescription only) are the only truly effective ones. I would go for Bravecto as it's kill time is twice as fast as Broadline.

lljkk Mon 08-Aug-16 08:16:13

That's my nightmare, thinking I've pulled out a burr but actually getting a tick (yuck). OP's tick is nicely complete, you can see it hasn't left anything behind inside the cat. If your cats are regularly treated with parasite stuff, the tick may have been ailing or dead, anyway. I wouldn't seek treatment from what OP describes; cats are just pukey creatures anyway.

Bogburglar75 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:27:38

I don't know about the sleepy/pukey aspect but Bogbastard also had a tick which we pulled off without knowing what it was. He had a tiny lump left behind which we checked carefully for a while - it healed up in about ten days I think. He was fine in himself.

Second Broadline treatment to prevent future ones, and j think there is a special widget you can get to extract them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now