Flea treatment for kittens

(13 Posts)
picklesanne Wed 03-Aug-16 19:57:52

Is there a flea treatment we can use on 7 week old kittens? We have recently rescued 3 kittens and mother cat, they are almost fully weaned and will going to there new homes in the next couple of weeks and mother cat going to be speyed. They aren't scratching much but don't want to rehome them with fleas. We use Fibrospot on our other cats but this can't be used on kittens weighing under 1 kg.

Was1969 Wed 03-Aug-16 20:00:14

Check with the vet but I'm sure they are too little.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 03-Aug-16 20:00:16

I know frontline is supposed to not work anymore but our vet used front line spray on our tiny 6 week kitten and it did kill them. We also flea combed them with a damp comb about 3 times a day which I think helped a lot.

TroysMammy Wed 03-Aug-16 22:51:45

I think it's a flea comb at that age. I'd be wary of defleaing the mother cat with chemicals just in case the kittens lick her fur.

thecatneuterer Wed 03-Aug-16 22:54:51

The only thing you can use is Frontline SPRAY. In caps just to emphasize it's not the normal Frontline. I think you can only get it from a vet.

puggymummy1 Thu 04-Aug-16 06:49:34

The vet should be able to supply Broadline small, which can be used from 8 weeks.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 04-Aug-16 06:50:43

There are a few prescription only products safe from 6 weeks so you need to talk to your vet.

Spurs12 Thu 04-Aug-16 09:41:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sashh Thu 04-Aug-16 10:20:54

I'd take them to the vet, fleas can kill kittens.

RubbishMantra Thu 04-Aug-16 11:00:54

^^ Yes, and the vet will spray the correct amount on them, and also give them a general check over, and worm them at the correct dose. They get worms from their mum.

RubbishMantra Thu 04-Aug-16 11:07:45

Don't EVER use a flea product designed for dogs on a cat, it can kill them.

Funny, all the products he recommends are Bayer's. hmm

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 04-Aug-16 16:45:41

Maybe he's a bit scared by the arrival in vets practices of a new product.shock

RubbishMantra Thu 04-Aug-16 21:13:04

Indeed Lone. An old "brand new" product that doesn't work. And for dogs, on a cat forum!

Silly marketing people. I suppose the word "fleas" came up in their searches, and they just spammed every pet forum.

I wish I could remember the hilarity of their name. Something like animal loving Dave, or some other trite shite?

I'm glad that MNHQ have removed the link though, because it's insinuated that dog flea products can safely be used on cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now