Have i bought insurance too early?

(7 Posts)
EachandEveryone Sat 30-Jul-16 12:19:04

I bought the PetPlan one for £13 a month kitten is 12 weeks. Now my friend tells me theres no need for it until they are older. Ive also joined the £12 a month scheme for the first year which includes vaccinations, worming etc and 10% off spaying. Do i really need two lots of payments going out?

chemenger Sat 30-Jul-16 12:21:47

We didn't get insurance before little boy's first trip to the vet and they found that his canine teeth were misaligned and had to come out - not cheap! I would always say it's best to get it as soon as you get the kitten.

NeedACleverNN Sat 30-Jul-16 12:25:32

The sooner the better

If anything goes wrong it's handy to have it. Toots has had insurance since she was 9 weeks old

FuzzyOwl Sat 30-Jul-16 12:29:53

I would recommend always having pet insurance for the first year as certain things aren't immediately obvious but if they are discovered or your pet has a bout of anything before they are insured, no insurance will ever cover them for it as it will be a preexisting condition. After the first year things like heart murmurs etc will be obvious (lots of kittens have them and grow out of them, so it can take a while to know what your cat will do) and you'll know whether you have a healthy cat or one that is likely to need frequent vet vists. Then again, if you plan to let your cat outside, the simple cost of X-rays and overnight treatment can be far more than several years of insurance payments.

It comes down to whether you can afford a small amount each month or a large one off payment (possibly more than one off as well).

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 30-Jul-16 12:42:45

Sooner the better with insurance. Cats risk assessments are rubbish.

EachandEveryone Sat 30-Jul-16 13:02:53

Thanks i feel better now.

MaddyHatter Sat 30-Jul-16 15:51:36

no its not too early at all.

my 10mo kitten had a heart murmur picked up at his annual health check i get free for being in the vets healthy pet scheme and he needed a £200 cardiac scan. With the 10% discount it came down t £180 and as he's insured, i managed to claim £115 of the cost back, so its only cost me £65.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now