Feliway - will it work in the scenario?

(14 Posts)
AGrinWithoutACat Mon 25-Jul-16 07:10:52

(Long post warning as several factors to consider)

We have a rescue cat (about 6 years old) who we got as a kitten with her brother at about 4 months. They settled in with is quite well, her brother was the more sociable and she was always shyer and avoided visitors or loud, sudden noises/movements but otherwise fine and no issues behaviourally

About 2 years ago, we lost her brother and she seemed lonely but coped and we didn't look to get another cat as we had a house move planned, that happened about a year ago. Following the move she has become very much an indoor (upstairs) cat and the closest she got to the outside was sitting at the back door watching us in the garden, she has slowly got braver and will now venture outside carefully on her own but doesn't go far. (She may be more nervous of the outside as she was clipped by a car about 3/4 years ago)

As she appeared to have settled we did get a 2nd cat (kitten) and after initial scuffles they appear to have settled together but she will mess and spray in the house.

The house is over 3 floors and other than messing upstairs during the settle in period she does only spray/mess downstairs.

We have a litter tray in the downstairs toilet which both cats use overnight and as she was messing in the hall we added a second litter tray there to help (both cats have free access to outdoors as well) but she has now started to mess and spray in the dining room sad I have throughly cleaned and deodorised but she keeps at it daily.

I am tempted to try the Feliway diffuser in there but they aren't cheap and on reading up I see suggestions that it should go in the room she feels safest in (our bedroom)

So - questions for those with experience;
Do you think it might help?
Should I get 1 or 2?
And, as I have reacted with asthmatic type symptoms to plug in air fresheners, I am wary about plugging anything in to our bedroom so do I need one in there?

Thanks to anyone who gets through that back story and will offer opinions and advice.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 25-Jul-16 07:34:23

There is now two different type of Feliway, you need Feliway Friends. You also need one per cat plus one of each of your facilities litter tray, water and food bowls. Check the products you are using to clean up to make sure they do not contain ammonia.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 25-Jul-16 07:35:25

I would put one diffuser on your middle landing is the answer to how many and where. I have not know Feliway cause problems for asthmatics even the spray formulation.

AGrinWithoutACat Mon 25-Jul-16 07:55:13

Thanks Lonecat, def no ammonia in the cleaning products

I have been wondering about an additional litter tray but don't want it in the dining room where she is currently choosing to go but maybe if I put one in the bathroom she will prefer that.

If I put one on the middle landing (next to the bathroom) would you think it would stop her using a litter tray in there?

The cats do get along now (they don't fight just ignore each other the way cats do but happily pass each other by with normal pace and body language) just took a little settling in so I would have thought the original was the one to go for (been reading reviews and goggling this morning) as the issue appears to be the mess and spray in the house

Wolpertinger Mon 25-Jul-16 08:08:36

You may not want the litter tray in the dining room but the cat does!

Weeing and spraying are two separate issues really - is she doing one or both? And has she been to the vet? For example mine sprays when she is in pain from FLUTD which has been sorted with diet.

If she is weeing in the dining room you have to suck it up and put the litter tray there which is what the cat wants. Once the cat has stopped making a mess of your dining room you may get to move it to what you think is a more desirable location.

You have to be a bit cat detective to work out why the dining room has suddenly become so desirable - so weeing or spraying? is other cat guarding litter tray downstairs? Have you really eradicated all smells right down to underlay? On going stress? And so on. Vicky Halls cat behaviour books are excellent for this.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 25-Jul-16 09:57:27

I used feliway when I first got my babies and one of them was weeing on the sofa. It didn't work. Having the same problem Again and the vet was adamant I needed more feliway even though I said it had no effect. Bought one to say I'd ticked all the boxes but it still doesn't work. Tried zykelene and cystophan and all the sprays with no effect. Though they are very chilled on zykelene! Good luck.

cozietoesie Mon 25-Jul-16 10:40:58

It seems she doesn't like the other cat so I'm not sure how effective the Feliway will be. Let us know how it works out.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 25-Jul-16 14:13:36

I don't think she likes the new cat either. Unless she's always messed in the house.

RubbishMantra Mon 25-Jul-16 15:58:45

I agree - cats are matriarchal, so 2 females in the house, especially if original cat is nervous - not good.

Try putting a Feliway Friends (didn't know about the Friends version before today Lone) on each level of your house, ensuring there's one in the dining room.

And try some Zylkene. All can be bought from Amazon if cost is an issue.

RubbishMantra Mon 25-Jul-16 16:08:41

...PS, I think Simple Solution is the most recommended on here, failing that a solution of bio washing powder, for removing smells and discouraging your cat from carrying on the crap/piss cycle. I think white vinegar has been mentioned too?

AGrinWithoutACat Mon 25-Jul-16 18:29:43

Thank you for all your input, I am currently using a white vinegar solution to clean along with a pet deodoriser but as I am not always there when she does it it does soak in sad eventually we will replace the carpet with hard flooring but that is a couple of years away as other things are taking priority plus I don't want to move the issue to another part of the house

I may have to suck it up and put a litter tray there but really don't want to be sitting down to dinner and one of them come in to use the facilities (they won't use trays with a lid)

Both cats are female but have kept predominantly female groups before without issue ...

I will try one of the feliways and see how it goes, not sure on the Zylkene as getting her to take the capsule will cause more stress than it may alleviate

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:03:25

You open the capsule and sprinkle it over food, lots of meds can be crushed if you ask the vet.

No way on gods earth I'd try putting a capsule into mine.

RubbishMantra Sun 31-Jul-16 14:46:27

Have you tried taking the flappy door off the lidded trays, then reinstating it once they're confident using it?

Perhaps add another litter tray, and scoop the poops and wee clumps out, but try holding back on the deodorising etc. They like a clean tray, but like it to smell of "themselves".

FeckTheMagicDragon Wed 03-Aug-16 13:51:10

I have two very territorial sisters, 7 years old. Similar problems to yours. Feliway Friends has made a difference. It's synthetic hormones of the sort that mum cat makes. I also got two very large enclose flitter trays in two different rooms (so they can't block)

I started with 4 and gradually reduced them over time. We now have no spraying issues and I've even caught them sleeping on the bed. Together. And very occasional, brief, mutual grooming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now