Repeat cystitis

(14 Posts)
Bogburglar99 Sat 23-Jul-16 08:59:25

Bogbastard had a bout of cystitis a couple of weeks ago. Anti inflammatories etc. Vet said OK to put him back on dry food.

Poor beast is now looking uncomfy and peeing outside the litter tray again, which was the first sign last time. Vets appointment today but does anyone have any tips on avoiding this? Knock the dry food on the head obviously - he will be gutted to have to live on the fancy wet pouches he prefers.

But anything else? He's male, young and neutered. Huge fluffy breed (Siberian), about 5kg. They come up big but I don't think he is overweight. Loves the garden and very active outdoors but I bring him in overnight - possible source of stress?

TIA

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 09:01:53

What dry food are you feeding?

Bogburglar99 Sat 23-Jul-16 09:08:12

James Wellbeloved fish flavour. He prefers the wet food and only eats the biscuits under protest anyway once the posh wet food is all gone.

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 09:21:26

You could try a higher meat/fish content dry (Zooplus sell several) but I think I would move to all wet. Will he only eat posh wet food? Butchers tins are often recommended on here as they're grain free (and very cheap).

Bogburglar99 Sat 23-Jul-16 09:26:33

You should have seen the filthy look I got when I tried Butchers smile He might just have to live with it though!

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 09:41:39

grin

PolterCat isn't keen on it either.

Bogburglar99 Sat 23-Jul-16 10:05:12

What does Poltercat like? Bogbastards criteria are anything fish flavoured, not keen on things in jelly, often leaves the terrine type stuff as well.

My criteria are - a bit cheaper and good for him!

Feeding DS with ASD and DD the queen of fussy eaters is considerably less trouble at times smile

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 10:19:40

Hmm, yes, autistic food refusing child here too!

PolterCat is mostly not that fussy TBH which is why I was a bit surprised when he wasn't keen on Butchers. If I'm organised he has whatever decent dry is on offer at Zooplus, otherwise whatever is halfway decent from the supermarket. He'll eat pretty much any pouch but likes variety. He tops up with rats and whatever he can steal or beg from neighbours (cat, dog and human food!)

His staple is his daily ration of dry food plus one pouch split across 2 meals.

thecatneuterer Sat 23-Jul-16 13:35:35

Definitely feed all wet food.

cozietoesie Sat 23-Jul-16 14:18:12

I've always fed my boys on wet food. The only urinary issues we've had are the very occasional bout, recently, of infection that Seniorboy has had - but with his elderly immune system, that's not so surprising.

Bogburglar99 Sat 23-Jul-16 14:35:27

Thank you. I think I'll go down that road.

Do you think it might be stress related to being kept in overnight? He does think Outside is wonderful and hates being brought in of an evening. I've done it because we front onto a 30mph urban road. The side gate is blocked off so he shouldn't be able to get out the front easily, and we have a 200ft back garden giving onto more huge back gardens in all directions. But I still keep him in at night out of fear of the road and chronic over anxiety. But if I'm making him ill then the risk/benefit changes completely. He has never been out at night - we had him from a kitten. He's one of those pedigrees where lots of the breeders websites say they should be indoor cats. We chose one that didn't stipulate but I still have residual guilt over letting him out at all!

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 14:42:58

It could be stress related. Hard to know. We front a 30mph semi-rural/town-edge road but with big garden and wilderness behind, PolterCat came from an outdoor life so is very used to traffic and has free access 24/7. It's tricky. Some cats are fine being in, some aren't.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 23-Jul-16 16:05:48

I'd still keep him in overnight, try cystease capsules in his food. Asbo has two a day to prevent cystitis.

iloveeverykindofcat Sat 23-Jul-16 18:15:35

Pick up some Cystease by Feliway. Small capsules that you can mix with food. I've not had any trouble with Bibi since we started them and you can go to a maintenance dose of 1/day after the initial treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now