What has BiteyCat done to his face?

(6 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 22-Jul-16 10:40:28

After his morning perambulations I noticed he had something on his muzzle. I'm not entirely sure if it's a thorn from a plant, a broken off whisker or something else? I've tried to get a closer look but he's not having it - I don't think that necessarily means he's sore, though, as he doesn't much like any handling, especially round his head (understatement!) I'll obviously keep an eye on it to check it doesn't get swollen or inflamed but any ideas? I did wonder if he'd had a spat with another cat but no sign of any other damage.

SonicSpotlight Fri 22-Jul-16 10:44:07

Sorry. It looks like that's something that needs to come out.

Do you have a helpful assistant with oven gloves to hold him for you?

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 22-Jul-16 10:55:38

I don't - DC won't be any help and DH out at work. I need more than oven gloves too - full body armour more like it.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 22-Jul-16 12:40:18

Is it a tick?.

Archfarchnad Fri 22-Jul-16 13:39:50

I would strongly suspect a tick, the muzzle is a classic place for it. You need a pair of tweezers, grab the bugger where the body goes into the fur and twist it out. If you don't do it right there's a danger the head will stay inside the body and get infected. Have to say, Archcat makes a right old fuss about getting ticks pulled out and by the time we're finished there's a bit of an infected bump anyway. I'm sure there'll be a YouTube 'tutorial' on the best technique.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 22-Jul-16 14:49:29

Never thought of a tick - it might well be.

I went after him to get another look after reading this and it has gone - either he's pulled it off himself or it has dropped off. There's a bit of pinkness where it's been but no swelling or anything, and he's completely unbothered by it - not pawing it rubbing it against anything, and he let me part the fur to take a look so hopefully all will be well. I know with ticks on humans you're supposed to look out for the target shaped mark so I assume there will be a cat equivalent?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now