Those Bengal boys

(20 Posts)
iloveeverykindofcat Fri 22-Jul-16 09:02:31

So my girls have figured out a time-sharing arrangement with the young snow Bengal for use of the back area. No further altercations. The elderly alpha cat, however, now considers me one of his people and marks me everytime I go out side while loudly meowing for fuss, which I am happy to give him. Problem is, he's getting increasingly determined to own my house too, and has just barged in while I was sorting the recycling and sprayed piss up the wall. Does anything remove the smell?!?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 22-Jul-16 12:39:11

Bio powder in warm water or pets at home sell a spray to get rid of odours.

You have to be firm with bengals, they don't do subtle & think the word no only applies to other cats.

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 22-Jul-16 13:14:32

Thanks will try! (Also dumb question but....it is urine, right? I don't have a male...)

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:16:48

Yes, it's urine.

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 22-Jul-16 13:30:40

He is something else. He's an elderly boy and a bit frail looking but absolutely rules the street.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Jul-16 20:24:47

Oh God I noticed my Bengal pissing up the neighbour's wall the other day! She was only saying the day before what a lovely cat he is...

RiverTam Wed 27-Jul-16 20:27:56

Bengal cats are a fucking pain in the arse for other cats and their owners, I hate them. Our cats have been driven to spending most of their days under our shed thanks to the Bengal next door. Absolutely nothing deters him. If he got run over tomorrow I would cheer (quietly, because our neighbours our lovely, but their cat is a fucker. They've already had to move house once because of him terrorising a neighbour's cat. I would ban them, tbh.p).

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 27-Jul-16 20:31:01

A lot of them are lap cats at home.

RiverTam Wed 27-Jul-16 20:33:33

Oh yes, they are lovely pets and love their humans. Just shit for any other localish cat (their territory can be huge).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 27-Jul-16 20:35:28

Not just bengals tbf, there are always dominant cats in the neighbourhood and they fight for garden domination, that's just the way the cat world works. Our close is ruled by the biggest, nastiest tabby you've ever seen - bet he's a darling at home.

3amEternal Wed 27-Jul-16 20:44:07

Bengals are the most beautiful cats but agree they are 'difficult'. Our neighbours one is always going missing, sometimes for weeks. I've found my Burmese are the best cats I've met for inter-cat relations, mine get on with every cat in the street and never fight, even the Bengal tolerates them and he is missing big chunks out of his ears. Other next door has a loner/fighter, he comes to 'knock' for them and they all go off together. I love the look and people orientation of the Bengal but couldn't manage the roaming and fighting round here where every house has at least 1 cat.

3amEternal Wed 27-Jul-16 20:45:27

Fluffy he is beautiful! They have a proper big cat 'pelt' don't they? Is it soft?

RiverTam Wed 27-Jul-16 21:03:42

Yes, but we've been here with our two for over 10 years and this Bengal is the only one we've had a problem with, and we're not the only ones who have a problem with him, I know of at least 2 other owners who hate it. Other cats have been fine, bit of argy-bargy but nothing like this. Sorry, but this cat has basically ruined our cats lives. Over 7 years of not having their own territory to themselves, one cat is stress grooming to the extent that his tummy is red raw. Vets not in the least surprised that there is a Bengal next door.

3amEternal Wed 27-Jul-16 21:07:18

Poor things. Can you cat proof your garden to keep him out?

RiverTam Wed 27-Jul-16 21:12:57

I don't think so, I looked into cat proofing netting but for it to work it has to lean over their side by about 2 feet, ie they need to cat proof their side to stop him coming over.

It's worse in the summer as our two are semi-feral and barely come in the house at all until it starts getting colder. They used to lie in the sun on our bench all day, with the Bengal on the fence glaring down at them, but this year have retreated to under the fence, we hardly see them.

I water-pistolled the Bengal smack in the face the other day, he was back within half an hour.

3amEternal Wed 27-Jul-16 21:59:12

Hmm, he will be able to get over but he won't be able to get back out, the theory goes that once they realise they're trapped they stop doing it. If the neighbours are nice and moved once before because of him they might agree to do their garden instead?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 29-Jul-16 20:14:29

Yes it's a soft coat, his sister was softer but not for sale.

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 29-Jul-16 21:42:32

Do they all have black paw leather? Tom does.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 29-Jul-16 21:43:38

Yes, the tip of the tail must be black too.

RubbishMantra Sat 30-Jul-16 08:43:20

Before we moved, MCat had a Bengal friend who would stick his head through the window, and ask in a very guttural "mroow" if MCat wanted to come out to play. Then they'd both lie in the lavender together, and roll about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now