Cat just been spayed

(11 Posts)
HarHer Wed 20-Jul-16 09:05:58

Hello,

Our 10 month old cat has just been spayed. She came back home at 5 pm yesterday and she has already pulled off her neck cone. I cannot get it back on. She keeps hiding from me, in almost unaccesible places, so I have not been able to take a good look at her wound or get the cone back on.

I am just leaving her to sleep under the television stand at the moment, but I have prepared some food with painkiller (from the vet) on it. I am quite scared that she will pull out the stiches is I do not get the cone on soon. However, when i approach her, she runs off and jumps on things and I am scared she will damage herself.

Is there any advice? Is this behaviour normal? She is normally a friendly but slightly timid cat.

Incidentally, the vet old me that there were abnormalities in the development of her uterus, which meant one side was significantly immature. He thinks this could be a result of the inbreeding from the feral community that our cat came from. I am now wondering if we have put the poor cat through a traumatic and painful experience for no reason because she may well have been sterile. Ah well...

MoonfaceAndSilky Wed 20-Jul-16 09:17:57

If you are keeping an eye on her I wouldn't worry about the neck collar but if you leave her on her own she really does need it on.
She's obviously feeling ok if she is jumping on things. I wouldn't worry too much, leave her alone, she'll be fine in a couple of dayssmile

thecatneuterer Wed 20-Jul-16 11:16:37

We never use cones. I would leave it off. You absolutely had to have it done. You don't know that she was sterile and, even if she was, she would still have come into heat and been chased by all the toms around.

Don't worry, she'll be fine.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Jul-16 14:28:06

Equally she could have been fertile in the single horn of her uterus.
Keep an eye on her if she is licking and biting at the wound she doesn't need the collar.

cozietoesie Wed 20-Jul-16 14:36:28

My boys won't tolerate a cone so I just sit with/near them for a time and check they're not 'worrying' the wound. The odd lick I don't bother about.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 20-Jul-16 16:20:18

My girl wouldn't tolerate the cone after her nose job. It was really distressing her. Since I had to chase her around the house to get it off I figured she had fully recovered from the anesthetic.

cozietoesie Wed 20-Jul-16 17:45:51

Having said which, I guess that there are times it might be necessary. They've just been lucky not to have one of those events.

HarHer Wed 20-Jul-16 18:32:57

Hello,

We had to take her back to the vets because she had pulled out one of her stitches out. She had two staples put in and she now has a pet jacket,.

She seems to be recovering well and it slow blinking on the bed as I write.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 20-Jul-16 18:43:10

I saw someone put their cat into a babygro as they wouldn't tolerate the cone.

cozietoesie Wed 20-Jul-16 18:46:48

Glad she's recovering better now. smile

MoonfaceAndSilky Wed 20-Jul-16 22:40:37

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now