Best cat carrier recommendations please

(15 Posts)
MsTimTam Tue 12-Jul-16 13:37:54

I'm very excited that after about a billion years wanting to get a cat, my husband has agreed and we are picking our cats up on 29 July smile.

However, we go on holiday this Thursday until the 29th which doesn't give me much time to get organised.

Can anyone recommend a good cat carrier to bring them home in? Preferably one that I can order from Amazon prime or pick up relatively easily.

Would also really appreciate litter tray/bed/cat tree/any other recommendations you may have.

Apologies if this has been covered in earlier posts, I'm at work having a panic just now, I'll look through other threads tonight. Thank you so much in advance!

Also, here are some pics of my beautiful girls grin

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 12-Jul-16 14:10:43

I see a lot of cat carriers this I feel is one the very best. Wide opening door and the lid opens up like a clam to get a scared cat out or treat them in their box.

fuzzywuzzy Tue 12-Jul-16 14:16:34

we have the one lonecat linked to also this one. Both open at the top the catit one feels a bit more flimsy maybe as it opens out completely on the top, when open. the second one feels more sturdy and it better for bigger cats.

Also have this one for when I need to take cat to vets by myself as I don't drive and is far easier to take on a bus and carry as I walk.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 12-Jul-16 14:17:22

I've got the one recommended by Lone and it's brilliant.

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 17:13:49

Awww gorgeous, they so cuteee smile

We have one like this

Its good for us because our prince doesn't tolerate cat carriers and we have to have him in little outfit like this

It works for us by putting carrier in footwell and door opens up to be flat on floor so he has his bed and chill area on floor; or he can sit on my lap and look out window to sightsee. But if you have more than one; then this isn't going to work.

First time you get him just put them in carrier though; make sure not a lot of bedding because you don't want him to overheat. Cats can heat themselves by stressing out; so if he starts panting with mouth open then stop the car for 5-10 minutes and let them cool down.

Make sure you buy exactly the same litter and tray as previous to stop accidents. But over time change to better litter and tray; I like Catsan.
Our tray is this

Recommend Waitrose own brand wet food. Just as expensive as the rest but has 14% meat content compared to 4% for Whiskas / Felix ect. Poos smell better if you give better food, and you have to feed less (they eat less - less poo). We get a specially formulated dry food from vet with 40% meat and 20% salmon oil; but its specific to Sheffield so wont help unless you are from there. But search around to find best stuff, will make massive difference to poo smells; and these changes to food you have to bring in slowly over time. Let them settle with what they are used to first.

Also probably bit young for using post but may as well get it, but will love a tunnel with ball to bat (short string). Be careful with string toys as cats are stupid and can run off and tie it round their necks. Its bloody impossible, but you have to find toys without catnip because kittens hate it and avoid like the plague.

Best of Luck

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 17:15:31

Sorry her haha
All cats used to be girls to me (because all dogs are boy); until I got my boy cat, and now all cats are boys.

What am I like lol

BengalCatMum Tue 12-Jul-16 17:18:47

Oh and try different beds; but to start with your going to wake up with a little kitty (or collection) sleeping on your chest; or under your covers at your feet.

Awwww; its sooooo cute. They crave your warmth.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:31:14

Are they silver tabbies? <puts Bengal up for adoption>

MsTimTam Tue 12-Jul-16 20:28:16

Thank you for all the recommendations, so helpful! I love that litter tray Bengal, who knew a litter tray could be stylish.

They are silver tabbies, I would have happily had any kitties but the other dictators in my life (my dds) had their hearts set on a silver tabby.

BengalCatMum Wed 13-Jul-16 04:22:46

OP Is a good one smile

Fluffy
You could never put a Bengal up for adoption! shock
<looks at beautiful 'Bengal x' boy>

Originally I wanted a Bombay; but I ended up picking my Bengal x Siamese kitty because he was soooo cute looking and because DP dropped it on its head when we visited and were handed unruly kitty hahah.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 13-Jul-16 06:40:14

Ok I'll keep him. Once you've dropped them you do have to buy them.

Like in a shop.

BengalCatMum Thu 14-Jul-16 01:45:10

Hahaha exactly; but was the best accident EVER grin grin grin grin

anoldiebutagoody Thu 14-Jul-16 14:20:08

I have the one Lonecat recommended and it's very good. A good size for when your girls grow and opens at the top so you can lift them out easily when they don't want to get out 😋.
The only thing I didn't like was the lever on the front to open the door was always stiff on ours and actually broke last week when we were in the vet. It rotated on a plastic rod which broke but hubby has replaced it with a metal pin and now it works even better .

Wordsaremything Sun 17-Jul-16 19:37:06

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjk4ZuJ0u7NAhXqKcAKHU0FDK0QqUMIDDAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2Fgallery%2F2016%2Fjul%2F12%2Flarry-the-cat-votes-remain-in-pictures&usg=AFQjCNF2eP2U6lj4-8rwvaeu1UfWBn86w&sig2=SBDzfP88_-zeEvp4JGgnlFg

This is the one I have. It's fabulous. Lid hinges up and so easy to get them in. Much admired at vets!

LowDudgeon Sun 17-Jul-16 22:56:22

I've got a couple of these for mine

Folds flat so good for storage, and you can stand it on end with the doorway zipped half-closed so it's quite easy to drop a reluctant cat in tail first & quickly close the rest of the zip.

However I have heard that a really feisty bugger can claw its way out. Also, 2 of mine hate car journeys, & pee & poo everywhere, which isn't good with fleece/canvas hmm

HTH grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now